Adoption

T

trghpu1994

Hi, we are in the beginning stages of adopting a child with CF from another country. We do not have CF, but I do have asthma. We can use whatever advice we can get. She is ten right now. I cant give out too much info since nothing is even close to final.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
First, congratulations on the hopeful addition to our family! You must be both excited and overwhelmed. Let me throw out a few suggestions and then please do follow-up with questions. I'd suggest you read as much as possible from cff.org, as this will give you overview of CF and what the treatments entails. Second, I'd have a list of things to do before arrival and then immediately upon arrival, and some of that will depend on the care the child is currently getting.

Before arrival, I'd suggest you become very familiar with your insurance plan and how to get the best price on prescriptions. I'd also research CF Centers (the cff.org webpage has a list of accreditted centers). Once you know the adoption is going through, I'd suggest seeing if you can get copies (mailed, faxed, electronic) of the child's medical file and see if you can meet with the CF Center ahead of time and then get an appointment immediately upon arrival because you'll need to get all the prescriptions and medical equipment (assuming she won't have it). Many countries do not do the most current/aggressive treatments, so even if she has the best care now, she might still not be receiving standard care. She will likely need to do/should do several inhalled medicines: Albuterol (or Xopenex), hyper-tonic saline, Pulmyzme (she'll need a compressor and nebulizer cups), enzymes (for digestion), and then use a compression vest. She'll also need special vitamins. And depending on what bacteria she cultures she might be immediately started on antibiotics. And if she has acid reflux some meds for that. (If you look at the threads for "newly diagnosed" you'll get a feel for what a day is like).

At her first CF appointment, I'd also ask about having her genotype determined to see what mutations she has which cause the CF. There are more than 1500. there is a new drug out called Kalydeco which is having amazing results for some of the mutations. (If you know this information already, post and folks can tell you if it is one of the "lucky" mutations.

Finally, I'd suggest maybe also seeing if you can schedule an appointment with the CF Center's psychologist. There are lots of challenges for chronic illness and a child at 10 who is being adopted may have others too depending on the circumstances. (I'd also recommend Lisa Green's book Love & Logic: Parenting the Child with Chronic Illness (might have the exact title off).

this is rather general but again look at the "newly diagnosed" list of topics and you'll see lots of day-by-day explanations. And the cff.org page has great info. Please write back if there is anything else I can help with.

just1more

I'm not up for posting too much at the moment; however, my wife & I have both adopted several kids with special needs, and in 2008 we adopted a 6yr old with CF.

At 10 there are going to be some issues that have nothing to do with CF, but will be impacted by CF and the aggressive treatment plans. It IS doable, and the above poster gave some great information.

If you have specific questions related to either older-child adoption, or adopting a child with CF, feel free to PM me and my wife or I will do anything we can.

JENNYC

I agree with all the above posts and don't really have anything to add other than the two that commented to your post are both amazing people and I would trust their advise 100%. I just wanted to say that I think that is amazing what you are doing and I am so happy your family and your soon to be new addition!!! You have found a very good place to get answers to any questions you might have. :)

T

trghpu1994

Thank you for all of your suggestions and positive messages/prayers. We have some initial medical info but not a lot. We know of a CF center not far from our house. Apparently her CF is well controlled at the moment.

TICMOMOFF1

We adopted five special needs children and our CFer is almost 10. She was 5 when we brought her to our home. I know one of the most important things you can do to help with attachment is to take the child to a store one who has a lot of stuff animals or our favorite is Build A Bear and let them pick a cuddly. Do not influence it in any way. So don't say things like oh look at this one it's beautiful or look at this one it's big. You want them to find one all their own it helps with attachment and I suggest to do it the first day. Our kids still has theirs and sure enough it's the one thing they will snuggle with at night even the 14 yr olds too.

T

trghpu1994

that is a great idea. that is wonderful that yall have taken in so many special needs kids.

mindy515

In complete agreement with just1more. We too adopted a little one with CF - even at the age of 2 there are so many more emotional issues. He's now 8 and the emotional side is just as much, if not more than the health piece.

If you want any specifics or to ask any questions please feel free to message me.

best of luck!
mindy

Justinsmama

I have an 8 year old son that we had naturally. I wouldn't matter to us how we got him, just that we did. As far as any child goes, you get what you get and you deal with it. Justin taught us a lesson I would like to share, we had our hamster at the vet on New Years day and I knew we were going to loose her. There was someone there with a shitzu dog (the kind he wants) and the owner was saying it is difficult because they are prone to certain health issues. My first reaction was, "when we get a dog, we may want to consider another kind", thinking he was loosing a pet now, dealing with his own health issues and wanting to protect him. He stood right up and said "Mama, I come with a lot of health issues, but you still love me . . . aren't I worth it". I hugged him and told him I hope we end up with a dog just like him. My point is, yes it is difficult to have a child with health issues (many on this site can tell you more of the CF issues but we too have had health issues since birth) but anything worthwhile takes lots of work. Good luck and God bless you in your decision.

Josette in PA

dancer78

This will be quick because i've got to get back to work, but let me just say your blog, "childofprayer.com" is wonderful. The Lord is good, and there is a reason and place for every child. I will read more and comment later! I so commend your courage and faith for taking this little girl on ... and I have some good news.

As a person who actually has CF, who has lived to the ripe old age of 52, I'd like to share a couple of things. First, just know that there's still so much they don't know about the ends and outs of this genetic disorder. It isn't always that complicated. You mention her cf is "well controlled" and it could be (dis-pite her mutation) that she has a mild case, or one that can be controlled with diet and exercise. Exercise is crucial. It not only helps the lungs but digestion as well. See if she gravitates toward a sport or pastime (like gymnastics or dance) that she loves. Then let her go after it. That's how mine was/is controlled.

As far as the diet goes, even with enzymes, eating a very healthy diet (not this whole-milk super rich calorie laden inflammatory stuff) is the key to having a normal life. Back in the day, they didn't have pulmyzime, the vest, any of that, and the "cf diet" was NON-fat or LOW-fat, high protein. (I was never allowed ice-cream, french fries, any of the stuff they tell kids now to eat.) Yes, I was slender, but so what? I had tons of energy, perfect lung function, no hospitalizations. I lived at the pool in the summer, later became a life-guard and swim instructor. I know now that being in the chlorinated water regularly was key for my sinuses and lung function to stay normal.

I've been in the hospital 3 times in my life, the last one in 2008. I attribute that (again) to having access to a pool growing up, and starting dance in college (still go to class 3-4 times a week.) As I was never allowed high fat foods as a child, I didn't develop a taste for them; instead eating lots of home-grown stuff and farmers market fare.

Can you start a small garden? Even a patio one gets kids to understand where their food comes from, and if they grow it they'll most likely eat it! Good for getting healthy eating habits going that may extend her life, and yours as well. :)

Also get a good juicer. Important investment in time and money, as this will be your "keep her out of the hospital machine." Carrot apple/orange is the best and keeps lung infections away. Plus, good for you and your husband too. My husband is 53, we live on an farm, with an animal rescue and full-time careers besides... and are not "sick" like our "normal" friends in their 40's and 50's.

I'll be praying for you, and pm me anytime ...there are several other things I do that they won't tell you about in a clinic...but they work, that I'd be glad to share. (So much for being quick! )
All the very best!

T

trghpu1994

Thank you so much. That is a lot of helpful information and encouragement. I feel like I have learned a lot, and we haven't even met her yet. There is so much we do not know, we hope to get up to date medical reports soon. Please message me anytime.
thanks again

T

trghpu1994

that is a great story. thank you for sharing. Your son is very lucky to have great parents like you. We appreciate all the stories and advice. We want to be as prepared as possible.

T

trghpu1994

i got it and responded tried to type it on phone not sure if what i said made since

T

trghpu1994

We are getting ready to travel to Europe to meet our CF child for the first time. We hope to get some good information as we meet with her doctor. It sounds like she is doing well health wise. Please keep us in your prayers, positive thoughts etc.
thank you

T

trghpu1994

We went to visit her. She is a sweetheart and is very excited about being adopted and coming to America. We do not know much more about her diagnosis. We will not be able to get any medical reports until the adoption is finalized. Apparently, in her country, most children with CF come to the U.S. or other nations for care, as the care there is substandard. We wish we had more information. But we still have to wait 4-6 months before it is finalized. She seems to be doing well, so she seems to have a mild case, but we really will not know anything until we get her to a CF center in the U.S.