adult diagnosis?

BaylorCrew07

I'm sorry to hear that your brother was diagnosed with CF; you will find a lot of great info on this forum.

I was diagnosed as an adult...age 20 or 21? That's sad I don't even remember, haha.

Anyway...I also had bronchitis a lot, and tons of sinus issues throughout my life. While the chance would probably be very small for you to have CF, I would still get a sweat test just to be sure.

BaylorCrew07

I'm sorry to hear that your brother was diagnosed with CF; you will find a lot of great info on this forum.

I was diagnosed as an adult...age 20 or 21? That's sad I don't even remember, haha.

Anyway...I also had bronchitis a lot, and tons of sinus issues throughout my life. While the chance would probably be very small for you to have CF, I would still get a sweat test just to be sure.

BaylorCrew07

BaylorCrew07

BaylorCrew07

<br />
<br />I was diagnosed as an adult...age 20 or 21? That's sad I don't even remember, haha.
<br />
<br />Anyway...I also had bronchitis a lot, and tons of sinus issues throughout my life. While the chance would probably be very small for you to have CF, I would still get a sweat test just to be sure.

Charlene

I had a late diagnosis (45) I was told I am obese compared to most cf pts. I weigh about 125 lbs and I am 5'4". So, needless to say, most doctors wouldn't have tested me. I had seen the same pulmonologist for 8 year and was told I had uncontrolled asthma and needed to be on oxygen and lead a sedentary lifestyle. I disagreed and changed pulmonologist, after two years of the same types of problems, bronchitis, sinus infections, and then pneumonia, I found myself in the hospital my fev1 dropped to 58% so my doctor was concerned. When he read my medical record he found out I also had stomach issues. ( I had not told him because I didn't think it would have anything to do with my lungs). At that point he said it would be unlikely, but he wanted to rule out cf so we ran test. I was positive. Who would have thought. Now I go to a cf clinic that is helping me so much, I think if you have any symptoms, I would definately be tested. Good luck and let us know.

Charlene

I had a late diagnosis (45) I was told I am obese compared to most cf pts. I weigh about 125 lbs and I am 5'4". So, needless to say, most doctors wouldn't have tested me. I had seen the same pulmonologist for 8 year and was told I had uncontrolled asthma and needed to be on oxygen and lead a sedentary lifestyle. I disagreed and changed pulmonologist, after two years of the same types of problems, bronchitis, sinus infections, and then pneumonia, I found myself in the hospital my fev1 dropped to 58% so my doctor was concerned. When he read my medical record he found out I also had stomach issues. ( I had not told him because I didn't think it would have anything to do with my lungs). At that point he said it would be unlikely, but he wanted to rule out cf so we ran test. I was positive. Who would have thought. Now I go to a cf clinic that is helping me so much, I think if you have any symptoms, I would definately be tested. Good luck and let us know.

Charlene

Charlene

Charlene

kchapman

With only 1 CF mutation (most likely your case), it is possible have some pulmonary problems as a result, especially if its the delta-F508 mutation (CF gene is deleted in F508). There's recent research in this article:
Single mutation in the cystic fibrosis transmembrane regulatory gene in patients with chronic sinusitis and hypogammaglobulinemia*1A novel immunodeficiency
Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, Volume 113, Issue 2, Page S44

I didn't discover that I had 2 CF genes until I was 32 and getting genetic testing for my pregnancy. Luckily, my son is OK, and I'm doing a lot better health-wise than most people with CF. I did have chronic bronchitis as a kid, but it cleared up in adolescence after a few years of taking massive antibiotics for my acne. But now I hear from my GI doctor that recent research shows that heavy antibiotic use can permanently damage intestinal motility. Big trade-off.
In the last 5 years, I've had a couple of really bad episodes of a mystery stomach ailment (debilitating stomach pain). My gut problems are not like the classical CF patient, as I am pancreatic-sufficient. I get constipated a lot, often with mucus in my stool, despite drinking 2-3 liters of water a day and eating my vegetables (could be the antibiotic damage? who knows?). I also get some type of stomach acid every day, and I just eat a few Tums and forget about it. There is some new research about pancreatic sufficient CF patients that begin to suffer from pancreatitis as they get older, and I have a suspicion that is what's happening with the stomach pain episodes. My GI doctor says that when it happens again, I need to get my blood tested for pancreatic enzymes IMMEDIATELY,since the window of time to tell if it's pancreatic is very, very small. It could be missed within an hour or two. Admittedly, I am a very, very rare case of an unlikely combination of CF genes, or so the geneticist told me, so it's hard to get doctors to understand if any of my problems are related to CF.

As for pulmonary problems, I treat every sinus infection the second it comes on with liberal doses of Simply Saline spray and try very hard to not let anything drop into my lungs. One time when I was having a severe histamine reaction with an overwhelming amount of snot, I found some relief by taking a little bit of my son's Prednosolone. When I told my doc about it, he said I should have just asked for a Flo-nase prescription instead, if I found relief from steroidal drugs.

kchapman

With only 1 CF mutation (most likely your case), it is possible have some pulmonary problems as a result, especially if its the delta-F508 mutation (CF gene is deleted in F508). There's recent research in this article:
Single mutation in the cystic fibrosis transmembrane regulatory gene in patients with chronic sinusitis and hypogammaglobulinemia*1A novel immunodeficiency

I didn't discover that I had 2 CF genes until I was 32 and getting genetic testing for my pregnancy. Luckily, my son is OK, and I'm doing a lot better health-wise than most people with CF. I did have chronic bronchitis as a kid, but it cleared up in adolescence after a few years of taking massive antibiotics for my acne. But now I hear from my GI doctor that recent research shows that heavy antibiotic use can permanently damage intestinal motility. Big trade-off.
In the last 5 years, I've had a couple of really bad episodes of a mystery stomach ailment (debilitating stomach pain). My gut problems are not like the classical CF patient, as I am pancreatic-sufficient. I get constipated a lot, often with mucus in my stool, despite drinking 2-3 liters of water a day and eating my vegetables (could be the antibiotic damage? who knows?). I also get some type of stomach acid every day, and I just eat a few Tums and forget about it. There is some new research about pancreatic sufficient CF patients that begin to suffer from pancreatitis as they get older, and I have a suspicion that is what's happening with the stomach pain episodes. My GI doctor says that when it happens again, I need to get my blood tested for pancreatic enzymes IMMEDIATELY,since the window of time to tell if it's pancreatic is very, very small. It could be missed within an hour or two. Admittedly, I am a very, very rare case of an unlikely combination of CF genes, or so the geneticist told me, so it's hard to get doctors to understand if any of my problems are related to CF.

As for pulmonary problems, I treat every sinus infection the second it comes on with liberal doses of Simply Saline spray and try very hard to not let anything drop into my lungs. One time when I was having a severe histamine reaction with an overwhelming amount of snot, I found some relief by taking a little bit of my son's Prednosolone. When I told my doc about it, he said I should have just asked for a Flo-nase prescription instead, if I found relief from steroidal drugs.

kchapman

kchapman

kchapman

<br />Single mutation in the cystic fibrosis transmembrane regulatory gene in patients with chronic sinusitis and hypogammaglobulinemia*1A novel immunodeficiency
<br />Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, Volume 113, Issue 2, Page S44
<br />
<br />I didn't discover that I had 2 CF genes until I was 32 and getting genetic testing for my pregnancy. Luckily, my son is OK, and I'm doing a lot better health-wise than most people with CF. I did have chronic bronchitis as a kid, but it cleared up in adolescence after a few years of taking massive antibiotics for my acne. But now I hear from my GI doctor that recent research shows that heavy antibiotic use can permanently damage intestinal motility. Big trade-off.
<br />In the last 5 years, I've had a couple of really bad episodes of a mystery stomach ailment (debilitating stomach pain). My gut problems are not like the classical CF patient, as I am pancreatic-sufficient. I get constipated a lot, often with mucus in my stool, despite drinking 2-3 liters of water a day and eating my vegetables (could be the antibiotic damage? who knows?). I also get some type of stomach acid every day, and I just eat a few Tums and forget about it. There is some new research about pancreatic sufficient CF patients that begin to suffer from pancreatitis as they get older, and I have a suspicion that is what's happening with the stomach pain episodes. My GI doctor says that when it happens again, I need to get my blood tested for pancreatic enzymes IMMEDIATELY,since the window of time to tell if it's pancreatic is very, very small. It could be missed within an hour or two. Admittedly, I am a very, very rare case of an unlikely combination of CF genes, or so the geneticist told me, so it's hard to get doctors to understand if any of my problems are related to CF.
<br />
<br />As for pulmonary problems, I treat every sinus infection the second it comes on with liberal doses of Simply Saline spray and try very hard to not let anything drop into my lungs. One time when I was having a severe histamine reaction with an overwhelming amount of snot, I found some relief by taking a little bit of my son's Prednosolone. When I told my doc about it, he said I should have just asked for a Flo-nase prescription instead, if I found relief from steroidal drugs.