All Sorts of Insurance Garbage

Emily65Roses

Okay people so here's my situation.

I'm going to be a student until May of 2009. Then I'm going to get a job (hopefully that won't take too long). Mike and I plan to get a place the end of 2009 (literally the end, the last 2 months or so) or the very beginning of 2010 (if need be). I turn 26 in January of 2010. I can be on my mom's insurance until I'm 25 as long as I'm living at home. I know that. So I'll be fine until the end of 2009. But when we move out, and we're not married yet, what do I do for insurance?

Assuming all goes well, after we get married, my primary insurance will be under Mike's employment. We're going to be real careful when he's looking for a job and keeping insurance in mind as number one priority. He already knows how important it is. Heh. I'm not going to worry about it in my job as much because I may not be working full time (I may be just under the bar or whatever), or my job may have crap insurance, and eventually I'll need to be on his insurance anyway when work becomes a problem. Chances are, I'll have a job whose insurance will be acceptable enough for about half a year before we get married. But I'm looking at it IN CASE it's not so that I'm prepared.

In the case that I don't have acceptable insurance... until we get married (April of 2010), what do I do with myself? I can buy into COBRA, but that sh*t can be expensive, even for just 4-5 months. I can lapse on insurance and do state aid, but I know nothing about that crap (the problems involved, the prices, what it covers, etc). I don't know whether or not the coverage is acceptable. And Perky is telling me there's a federal law that until you lapse in coverage for one year, the next insurance company cannot deny you based on a preexisting condition. But I was under the impression the time limit was MUCH shorter than a year (like 2-3 months). <i>I.e. You lapse insurance for 2 months, and the next insurance company you talk to can say "nope, you lapsed, and you have a preexisting condition, we don't have to cover you until a year from now" in which case we'd REALLY be screwed.</i>

<b>I am going to ask the social worker at my clinic next time I go. Chances are, she'll have the best idea on what to do for my state, among other things. I know that.</b> I'm just thinking about it now because I prepare <u>way</u> ahead of time. I don't want to get stuck in limbo, wanting to buy a place but unable to yet because we're not married and I need to stay at home to be on my mom's insurance blah blah.

So basically, I'm looking for any information, experiences, stories, suggestions, etc. people might have on the subject.

Emily65Roses

I'm going to be a student until May of 2009. Then I'm going to get a job (hopefully that won't take too long). Mike and I plan to get a place the end of 2009 (literally the end, the last 2 months or so) or the very beginning of 2010 (if need be). I turn 26 in January of 2010. I can be on my mom's insurance until I'm 25 as long as I'm living at home. I know that. So I'll be fine until the end of 2009. But when we move out, and we're not married yet, what do I do for insurance?

Assuming all goes well, after we get married, my primary insurance will be under Mike's employment. We're going to be real careful when he's looking for a job and keeping insurance in mind as number one priority. He already knows how important it is. Heh. I'm not going to worry about it in my job as much because I may not be working full time (I may be just under the bar or whatever), or my job may have crap insurance, and eventually I'll need to be on his insurance anyway when work becomes a problem. Chances are, I'll have a job whose insurance will be acceptable enough for about half a year before we get married. But I'm looking at it IN CASE it's not so that I'm prepared.

In the case that I don't have acceptable insurance... until we get married (April of 2010), what do I do with myself? I can buy into COBRA, but that sh*t can be expensive, even for just 4-5 months. I can lapse on insurance and do state aid, but I know nothing about that crap (the problems involved, the prices, what it covers, etc). I don't know whether or not the coverage is acceptable. And Perky is telling me there's a federal law that until you lapse in coverage for one year, the next insurance company cannot deny you based on a preexisting condition. But I was under the impression the time limit was MUCH shorter than a year (like 2-3 months). <i>I.e. You lapse insurance for 2 months, and the next insurance company you talk to can say "nope, you lapsed, and you have a preexisting condition, we don't have to cover you until a year from now" in which case we'd REALLY be screwed.</i>

<b>I am going to ask the social worker at my clinic next time I go. Chances are, she'll have the best idea on what to do for my state, among other things. I know that.</b> I'm just thinking about it now because I prepare <u>way</u> ahead of time. I don't want to get stuck in limbo, wanting to buy a place but unable to yet because we're not married and I need to stay at home to be on my mom's insurance blah blah.

So basically, I'm looking for any information, experiences, stories, suggestions, etc. people might have on the subject.

Emily65Roses

Emily65Roses

Emily65Roses

JazzysMom

Here is a link that covers just about everything.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/normap/cfinsurance.htm">http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/normap/cfinsurance.htm</a>

JazzysMom

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/normap/cfinsurance.htm">http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/normap/cfinsurance.htm</a>

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

lilismom

Some companies offer insurance to domestic partners. If I remember correctly it is taxed differently but the coverage is the same as if you were married. Maybe that will be an option for you.

lilismom

Some companies offer insurance to domestic partners. If I remember correctly it is taxed differently but the coverage is the same as if you were married. Maybe that will be an option for you.

lilismom

lilismom

lilismom

jamie6girl

I don't have any advice, as I've always been pretty lucky when it comes to having insurance (knock on wood). If you have trouble getting help by then, maybe you can try applying for the free tobi and pulmozyme and such to help out until you do get insurance. I wish you the best of luck, and hopefully everything will go well for you and Mike. Take Care.

jamie6girl

I don't have any advice, as I've always been pretty lucky when it comes to having insurance (knock on wood). If you have trouble getting help by then, maybe you can try applying for the free tobi and pulmozyme and such to help out until you do get insurance. I wish you the best of luck, and hopefully everything will go well for you and Mike. Take Care.

jamie6girl

jamie6girl

jamie6girl