All Sorts of Insurance Garbage

tara

My brother pays out of pocket for his. (he has CF too, so he can't afford a lapse in insurance because of the pre-existing clause) When he first applied and got the insurance several years ago it was about $300 a month. But every year it increases and it's up to about $550 a month. I think it's worth it to get the private insurance for your "lapse" in coverage until you get married. You know it's not going to last forever and it's a better safe than sorry approach I think. Start saving now! :)

tara

My brother pays out of pocket for his. (he has CF too, so he can't afford a lapse in insurance because of the pre-existing clause) When he first applied and got the insurance several years ago it was about $300 a month. But every year it increases and it's up to about $550 a month. I think it's worth it to get the private insurance for your "lapse" in coverage until you get married. You know it's not going to last forever and it's a better safe than sorry approach I think. Start saving now! :)

tara

tara

tara

etabetac

Like someone above me said, a lot of big companies offer domestic partnership benefits which generally cover health insurance. A domestic partner means that you sign a waiver saying that you are in a committed, monogamous relationship with someone (of same or opposite sex). I'm not sure if you've ever mentioned your field or your significant other's field but those of us out here can probably tell you what companies do offer it.

On top of it even some companies you wouldn't expect offer insurance for working as little as twenty hours a week. For example, Starbucks and Target both do. You only need some kind of insurance to hold you over in order not to get the pre-existing insurance garbage. So you could start working for a company that offers insurance either on the day your coverage expires or before because even if there is a mandatory waiting period for your insurance for work that is not considered a lapse in cover so it cannot be held against you in getting insurance.

Also, a lot of student health plans will cover you for the summer after you graduate so that would actually only leave you a couple of months to figure out. And who knows, maybe by that point we'll have healthcare figured out. You may also qualify for medicare/medicaid, which your social worker at your clinic should be able to naviage with you.

etabetac

Like someone above me said, a lot of big companies offer domestic partnership benefits which generally cover health insurance. A domestic partner means that you sign a waiver saying that you are in a committed, monogamous relationship with someone (of same or opposite sex). I'm not sure if you've ever mentioned your field or your significant other's field but those of us out here can probably tell you what companies do offer it.

On top of it even some companies you wouldn't expect offer insurance for working as little as twenty hours a week. For example, Starbucks and Target both do. You only need some kind of insurance to hold you over in order not to get the pre-existing insurance garbage. So you could start working for a company that offers insurance either on the day your coverage expires or before because even if there is a mandatory waiting period for your insurance for work that is not considered a lapse in cover so it cannot be held against you in getting insurance.

Also, a lot of student health plans will cover you for the summer after you graduate so that would actually only leave you a couple of months to figure out. And who knows, maybe by that point we'll have healthcare figured out. You may also qualify for medicare/medicaid, which your social worker at your clinic should be able to naviage with you.

etabetac

etabetac

etabetac

Emily65Roses

Thanks guys. Helpful stuffs. I've also emailed the social worker at my clinic.

Amy - A couple of things. One: We have a specific date on purpose. Our parents have the same exact wedding anniversary (date, year, and time), so we're getting married on the same date. Two: I don't want to get a place either RIGHT BEFORE or after we get married because we'll be busy. I'd like to be mostly settled in by the time the wedding comes around.

Emily65Roses

Amy - A couple of things. One: We have a specific date on purpose. Our parents have the same exact wedding anniversary (date, year, and time), so we're getting married on the same date. Two: I don't want to get a place either RIGHT BEFORE or after we get married because we'll be busy. I'd like to be mostly settled in by the time the wedding comes around.

Emily65Roses

Emily65Roses

Emily65Roses