Allergies

sue35

I didn't want to overtake a different thread so I decided to start a new one!

I have been taking zyrtec for about a month. It isn't doing a thing. I was once prescribed a different allergy medicine and it worked wonders but of course I don't remember what it was called.

I want to ask my doctor for a different medicine so I was wondering what you all took?

sue35

I have been taking zyrtec for about a month. It isn't doing a thing. I was once prescribed a different allergy medicine and it worked wonders but of course I don't remember what it was called.

I want to ask my doctor for a different medicine so I was wondering what you all took?

sue35

CaliSally

I take Singulair along with Zyrtec, I think they work different ways, therefore needing both. I also take Advair. I used to use Flonase, but that gave me nose bleeds. I'm currently looking into Xolair shots.

They seem to be working better for me than the Allegra and Flonase routine. And the advair works great for controlling the asthma.

CaliSally

I take Singulair along with Zyrtec, I think they work different ways, therefore needing both. I also take Advair. I used to use Flonase, but that gave me nose bleeds. I'm currently looking into Xolair shots.

They seem to be working better for me than the Allegra and Flonase routine. And the advair works great for controlling the asthma.

CaliSally

NoExcuses

If you want a detailed run-down of the differences between anti-histamines, check out my blog. Scroll down to the bottom left, click on Medications, and there will be a blog on anti-histamines.

No one med on the planet is a panacia (Allie help me... I can't spell that word).

I, myself, take Allegra for my anti-histamine (histamines are responsible for about 60-70% of the allergic cascade), Singulair (study on this med is also on my blog for CFers) to control leukotrienes (which are responsible for 30-40% of the allergic cascade), and Nasacort AQ (I need to write a blog on intranasal steroids and the differences... or did I already? I can't remember) to contorl inflammation in my nasal terbinates to avoid sinus infections.

NoExcuses

If you want a detailed run-down of the differences between anti-histamines, check out my blog. Scroll down to the bottom left, click on Medications, and there will be a blog on anti-histamines.

No one med on the planet is a panacia (Allie help me... I can't spell that word).

I, myself, take Allegra for my anti-histamine (histamines are responsible for about 60-70% of the allergic cascade), Singulair (study on this med is also on my blog for CFers) to control leukotrienes (which are responsible for 30-40% of the allergic cascade), and Nasacort AQ (I need to write a blog on intranasal steroids and the differences... or did I already? I can't remember) to contorl inflammation in my nasal terbinates to avoid sinus infections.

NoExcuses

batteredNfried

I get too dried out with antihistamines. I take Singulair and have had a lot of success with it. I am also on Sporanox, which takes care of the ABPA.

My asthma and allergies flare up particularly at that time of the month, but when I make a point to stay well hydrated, the symptoms aren't so bad.

DayQuil works well when I'm having a particularly rough allergy attack.

batteredNfried

I get too dried out with antihistamines. I take Singulair and have had a lot of success with it. I am also on Sporanox, which takes care of the ABPA.

My asthma and allergies flare up particularly at that time of the month, but when I make a point to stay well hydrated, the symptoms aren't so bad.

batteredNfried

mom2lillian

I take zyrtec and singulair and nasacort.

I had to switch between allegra and alleegra D when on that but zyrtec works better for me. Claritin never worked as well fro me.

mom2lillian

I had to switch between allegra and alleegra D when on that but zyrtec works better for me. Claritin never worked as well fro me.

mom2lillian

sue35

I am sorry I wasn't thinking about anything else being allergy related. I am also on Singulair, advair, flonase and sporonox. Those I have taken forever and just feel I need something else also. I will look at Amy's blog and maybe also talk to my doctor about Allegra or the shots.

I do agree that I need to stay more hydrated though. I felt a lot better when I did. Any other medicines I am missing?

sue35

I am sorry I wasn't thinking about anything else being allergy related. I am also on Singulair, advair, flonase and sporonox. Those I have taken forever and just feel I need something else also. I will look at Amy's blog and maybe also talk to my doctor about Allegra or the shots.

I do agree that I need to stay more hydrated though. I felt a lot better when I did. Any other medicines I am missing?

sue35

NoExcuses

Well for one advair isn't for allergies.... it's for asthma and associated inflammation. Some people do get asthma from allergies. But it's not an allergy med.

There are a lot of misconceptions of what medications are "drying" in terms of anti-histamines. Some anti-histamines do have anti-cholinergic affects, which can really affect a CFer. Those anti-histamines include diphenhydramine (Benedryl) to a lesser extent, Zyrtec.

Claritin and Allegra both do not have anti-cholinergic affects and therefore do not dry CF secretions.

NoExcuses

Well for one advair isn't for allergies.... it's for asthma and associated inflammation. Some people do get asthma from allergies. But it's not an allergy med.

There are a lot of misconceptions of what medications are "drying" in terms of anti-histamines. Some anti-histamines do have anti-cholinergic affects, which can really affect a CFer. Those anti-histamines include diphenhydramine (Benedryl) to a lesser extent, Zyrtec.

Claritin and Allegra both do not have anti-cholinergic affects and therefore do not dry CF secretions.