allergy/mattress type question...

Scarlett81

OMG!
I slept soooo much better last night-huge difference. As soon as this baby is born I am going to bring up allergies with my cf doc. I don't even know what meds they give for that, how theyd treat it, ect but I'm assuming shed test me first and go from there.
Wow, what a difference.

Scarlett81

OMG!
I slept soooo much better last night-huge difference. As soon as this baby is born I am going to bring up allergies with my cf doc. I don't even know what meds they give for that, how theyd treat it, ect but I'm assuming shed test me first and go from there.
Wow, what a difference.

Scarlett81

what have they given you for your allergies? does it work? and do you think if I am allergic to the dust mite feces then it means that I have other allergies too?

Scarlett81

what have they given you for your allergies? does it work? and do you think if I am allergic to the dust mite feces then it means that I have other allergies too?

Scarlett81

NoExcuses

I have a whole blog on the differences between the anti-histamines on the market. Go to my blog, scroll down 'til you find categories, and click on medicines. it will be posted there. Intranasal steroids are a smart option as well (especially if you have headaches and/or sinus problems). And yes, it helps. It does wonders.

I would go to an allergist (no one knows more about allergies than allergists....might as well go to the one that knows the most) and get a full allergy test. Not a blood IgE test, but a skin test. Find out each and every thing you're allergic to. Most likely, it's more than just dust mite feces.

In the mean time, get two HEPA air filters (has to be HEPA). One for your bedroom and one for where you do your meds.

Go to www.allergyasthmatech.com and get dust mite powder for your carpet. You put it on the carpet, leave it there for a few hours, then vacuum it up. This will denature the dust mites for a few months.

Get rid of stuffed animals and other dust collectors in your house. They're ugly anyway :p

There's so much you can do, as I've been preaching on this board for months..... and it makes a huge difference in lung health.

NoExcuses

I have a whole blog on the differences between the anti-histamines on the market. Go to my blog, scroll down 'til you find categories, and click on medicines. it will be posted there. Intranasal steroids are a smart option as well (especially if you have headaches and/or sinus problems). And yes, it helps. It does wonders.

I would go to an allergist (no one knows more about allergies than allergists....might as well go to the one that knows the most) and get a full allergy test. Not a blood IgE test, but a skin test. Find out each and every thing you're allergic to. Most likely, it's more than just dust mite feces.

In the mean time, get two HEPA air filters (has to be HEPA). One for your bedroom and one for where you do your meds.

Go to www.allergyasthmatech.com and get dust mite powder for your carpet. You put it on the carpet, leave it there for a few hours, then vacuum it up. This will denature the dust mites for a few months.

Get rid of stuffed animals and other dust collectors in your house. They're ugly anyway :p

There's so much you can do, as I've been preaching on this board for months..... and it makes a huge difference in lung health.

NoExcuses

Scarlett81

well....I have a baby due in a few weeks so the stuffed animal thing may be tough...When I first saw that I thought, why would a 25 yr old have stuffed animals anyway!, I don't have any. Then I thought...oh the kid is coming.

My hubby had a hepa air purifiying system installed on our house 3 months ago. (i wish I knew the exact name of it, but its basically the type of thing that as air gets circulated through our venting system it goes through a light and kills bacteria, all I know further than that is that it cost about $4000-ouch, but his research said it would be worth it for me and I have noticed a difference.) Today we had all our vents cleaned out which they reccomend should be done every 3-4 years. That should help too.

Amy you mentioned hepa filters in each room, but attatched to what type of unit are you reffering to? I used to have those ionic things but after all the info came out I threw them out and I haven't found something to replace them since. Since I have this new system do you think I really need individual ones in my room?-I guess it couldn't hurt.

I'm going to order the carpet powder too. Anything that helps. And when fall comes around, thats when I get seasonal allergies but thats another story altogether. They give me claritin every year and every year it does nothing.

Scarlett81

well....I have a baby due in a few weeks so the stuffed animal thing may be tough...When I first saw that I thought, why would a 25 yr old have stuffed animals anyway!, I don't have any. Then I thought...oh the kid is coming.

My hubby had a hepa air purifiying system installed on our house 3 months ago. (i wish I knew the exact name of it, but its basically the type of thing that as air gets circulated through our venting system it goes through a light and kills bacteria, all I know further than that is that it cost about $4000-ouch, but his research said it would be worth it for me and I have noticed a difference.) Today we had all our vents cleaned out which they reccomend should be done every 3-4 years. That should help too.

Amy you mentioned hepa filters in each room, but attatched to what type of unit are you reffering to? I used to have those ionic things but after all the info came out I threw them out and I haven't found something to replace them since. Since I have this new system do you think I really need individual ones in my room?-I guess it couldn't hurt.

I'm going to order the carpet powder too. Anything that helps. And when fall comes around, thats when I get seasonal allergies but thats another story altogether. They give me claritin every year and every year it does nothing.

Scarlett81

NoExcuses

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Scarlett81</b></i>

well....I have a baby due in a few weeks so the stuffed animal thing may be tough...When I first saw that I thought, why would a 25 yr old have stuffed animals anyway!, I don't have any. Then I thought...oh the kid is coming. </end quote></div>

You would be suprised....

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>My hubby had a hepa air purifiying system installed on our house 3 months ago. (i wish I knew the exact name of it, but its basically the type of thing that as air gets circulated through our venting system it goes through a light and kills bacteria, all I know further than that is that it cost about $4000-ouch, but his research said it would be worth it for me and I have noticed a difference.) Today we had all our vents cleaned out which they reccomend should be done every 3-4 years. That should help too. </end quote></div>

That's perfect. Except it only runs the air purifier feature when you ahve the air/heat on, right? What about when you don't have the air/heat on?

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Amy you mentioned hepa filters in each room, but attatched to what type of unit are you reffering to? </end quote></div>

Attached to themselves. Look at this:

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11096642&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&s=1
">http://www.costco.com/Browse/P...C&topnav=&browse=&s=1
</a>
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>I used to have those ionic things but after all the info came out I threw them out and I haven't found something to replace them since. Since I have this new system do you think I really need individual ones in my room?-I guess it couldn't hurt. </end quote></div>

Ya, no ionic. No no no. But your new system I'm unclear if it's only on when you run the air/heat, or if it's on all the time? If it's only on when you run the air/heat, then I would get individual units.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote> And when fall comes around, thats when I get seasonal allergies but thats another story altogether. They give me claritin every year and every year it does nothing.</end quote></div>

Claritin is crap. i'm not surprised it doesn't work for you. Check out my blog, as I referenced before.

Anti-histamines work for both seasonal and perrenial allergies. Your body doesn't react differently to different types of allergies. Reactions are identical.

Even though you have allergy encasings & a whole house filter, dust mites can still be in other places. So an anti-histamine is a good idea for all year round because chances are that you encounter allergies every day - and that inflammation adds to the inflammation you have already with CF. Why suffer unnecessarily?

Check out the blog... it will help you gain clarity between the different anti-histamines

NoExcuses

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Scarlett81</b></i>

well....I have a baby due in a few weeks so the stuffed animal thing may be tough...When I first saw that I thought, why would a 25 yr old have stuffed animals anyway!, I don't have any. Then I thought...oh the kid is coming. </end quote></div>

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>My hubby had a hepa air purifiying system installed on our house 3 months ago. (i wish I knew the exact name of it, but its basically the type of thing that as air gets circulated through our venting system it goes through a light and kills bacteria, all I know further than that is that it cost about $4000-ouch, but his research said it would be worth it for me and I have noticed a difference.) Today we had all our vents cleaned out which they reccomend should be done every 3-4 years. That should help too. </end quote></div>

That's perfect. Except it only runs the air purifier feature when you ahve the air/heat on, right? What about when you don't have the air/heat on?

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Amy you mentioned hepa filters in each room, but attatched to what type of unit are you reffering to? </end quote></div>

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11096642&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&s=1
</a>
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>I used to have those ionic things but after all the info came out I threw them out and I haven't found something to replace them since. Since I have this new system do you think I really need individual ones in my room?-I guess it couldn't hurt. </end quote></div>

Ya, no ionic. No no no. But your new system I'm unclear if it's only on when you run the air/heat, or if it's on all the time? If it's only on when you run the air/heat, then I would get individual units.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote> And when fall comes around, thats when I get seasonal allergies but thats another story altogether. They give me claritin every year and every year it does nothing.</end quote></div>

Claritin is crap. i'm not surprised it doesn't work for you. Check out my blog, as I referenced before.

Anti-histamines work for both seasonal and perrenial allergies. Your body doesn't react differently to different types of allergies. Reactions are identical.

Even though you have allergy encasings & a whole house filter, dust mites can still be in other places. So an anti-histamine is a good idea for all year round because chances are that you encounter allergies every day - and that inflammation adds to the inflammation you have already with CF. Why suffer unnecessarily?

Check out the blog... it will help you gain clarity between the different anti-histamines

NoExcuses

</a>

P

paws

I went to the allergist this week for my first shots (they had to break my dosage into 2 vials cuz' I'm allergic to so much darn stuff). I remembered to ask the nurse about whether the mattress pad should be under the encasing or above it....she said underneath, unless I wanted to wash it weekly in hot water. My encasings haven't arrived yet so I'll decide once I get them to see if they make any noise.

I also asked her about putting items in the dryer to kill the mites (which I've been doing). She stated that the heat will kill the dust mites, but won't get rid of the dust mite feces. So, if you're allergic to the feces as well, it won't be as effective.

It figures.....I hate to dust!

P

paws

I went to the allergist this week for my first shots (they had to break my dosage into 2 vials cuz' I'm allergic to so much darn stuff). I remembered to ask the nurse about whether the mattress pad should be under the encasing or above it....she said underneath, unless I wanted to wash it weekly in hot water. My encasings haven't arrived yet so I'll decide once I get them to see if they make any noise.

I also asked her about putting items in the dryer to kill the mites (which I've been doing). She stated that the heat will kill the dust mites, but won't get rid of the dust mite feces. So, if you're allergic to the feces as well, it won't be as effective.

P

paws