Any Vegetarian/Vegan CF's on here?

EnergyGal

One thing to consider~

If you buy these meatless products, they are loaded with soy protein.

Did you read the latest research on eating soy products when you have cf? Jody posted this I believe last week.

I only eat free range chickens and certified organic meats (I eat red meat once a week), consume lots of salmon and other low mercury fish.

I have a 0.6 creatinine level for my kidney function and for a tx patient that speaks volumes after twelve and a half years of taking tx drugs.

It must be what I eat and some of the energy medicine neurolymphatics that I do?

Be careful when you consider what type of Diet you are going on.

Dairy, soy, wheat are big on inflammation producing foods that cause problems within the body.

When you stay away for weeks from eating a particular food, when you start eating that food again, you will see the allergenic results.

The other day I was at a restaurant and I ordered a salad and it contained cheese. I have been avoiding all dairy for weeks and as I was eating the salad, my nose started to drain. I actually felt the mucus moving. This was a strange experiene for me as I normally do not feel my congestion.

I know this is going off on a tangent
If you eat high glycemic foods, you will notice a difference right away. If you take the wrong medication for your body, you might have an allergic reaction right away. I feel that eating dairy products if you are very sensitive, you will have a reaction within a few minutes as well.

Bottom line, just because a specific diet or food intake sounds good for the entire population, it does not mean it is good for everyone

If I eliminated chicken and meat, I guess you can say that I would be a moderate vegertarin because I eat tons of veggies, nuts and fish.

Make sure you take enough healthy fats and consult with a nutrtionist before eliminating important food groups. You can hurt your body if you do not eat properly.

You can become anemic. I know you are too smart for this. You listen to your body and if you started feeling crappy then you would know it.

Just be careful with all the beer you drink. If you ask me, If you are going to change your diet, change everything for the better. If you cheat here and there with certain foods and beverages, you will never see the difference and understand what is really working.

GOOD Luck

EnergyGal

One thing to consider~

Did you read the latest research on eating soy products when you have cf? Jody posted this I believe last week.

I only eat free range chickens and certified organic meats (I eat red meat once a week), consume lots of salmon and other low mercury fish.

I have a 0.6 creatinine level for my kidney function and for a tx patient that speaks volumes after twelve and a half years of taking tx drugs.

It must be what I eat and some of the energy medicine neurolymphatics that I do?

Dairy, soy, wheat are big on inflammation producing foods that cause problems within the body.

When you stay away for weeks from eating a particular food, when you start eating that food again, you will see the allergenic results.

The other day I was at a restaurant and I ordered a salad and it contained cheese. I have been avoiding all dairy for weeks and as I was eating the salad, my nose started to drain. I actually felt the mucus moving. This was a strange experiene for me as I normally do not feel my congestion.

If you eat high glycemic foods, you will notice a difference right away. If you take the wrong medication for your body, you might have an allergic reaction right away. I feel that eating dairy products if you are very sensitive, you will have a reaction within a few minutes as well.

Bottom line, just because a specific diet or food intake sounds good for the entire population, it does not mean it is good for everyone

If I eliminated chicken and meat, I guess you can say that I would be a moderate vegertarin because I eat tons of veggies, nuts and fish.

Make sure you take enough healthy fats and consult with a nutrtionist before eliminating important food groups. You can hurt your body if you do not eat properly.

You can become anemic. I know you are too smart for this. You listen to your body and if you started feeling crappy then you would know it.

Just be careful with all the beer you drink. If you ask me, If you are going to change your diet, change everything for the better. If you cheat here and there with certain foods and beverages, you will never see the difference and understand what is really working.

GOOD Luck

EnergyGal

One thing to consider~

GOOD Luck

EnergyGal

One thing to consider~

GOOD Luck

EnergyGal

One thing to consider~

GOOD Luck

Faust

yeah thanks for the support guys. After listening to 10 high end nutritionists, they all said switching from an animal based diet to a plant based diet is extremely rewarding health benefit wise. I eat TONS of nuts, and nut butters, whole grains, veggies, fruit, and TONS of beans. Given what I eat, with some occasional dairy, I think I will be fine. The first problem for me will be eventually giving up dairy, but eventually I want to. For a while now, health has been kind of a religion. It started with weight lifting, then meditation, more education regarding diet, then fully agreeing with myself going meatfree would be best for me.

Faust

yeah thanks for the support guys. After listening to 10 high end nutritionists, they all said switching from an animal based diet to a plant based diet is extremely rewarding health benefit wise. I eat TONS of nuts, and nut butters, whole grains, veggies, fruit, and TONS of beans. Given what I eat, with some occasional dairy, I think I will be fine. The first problem for me will be eventually giving up dairy, but eventually I want to. For a while now, health has been kind of a religion. It started with weight lifting, then meditation, more education regarding diet, then fully agreeing with myself going meatfree would be best for me.

Faust

Faust

Faust

Foody

Here is my 10cents:

I would find a holistic MD or naturopath who can do an indepth analysis of your vitamin, mineral, antioxidants, lipid profile and protein levels to get a benchmark before you change too much. They can then monitor things to be sure things are staying balanced. Each of us is biochemically different and may require specific things in our diets to function properly. Add in the genetic challenges of CF and it may not be wise to do this without the right guidance.

I was a vegetarian for a year and it was not right for me (I do not have CF). I lost my energy and my cycles went haywire. I was very careful, cooked very good well-rounded meals, and took vitamins but it just didn't work for me. The soy based products really took a toll on me and I believe messed with my thyroid. I did it for animal cruelty reason too, so it was really hard to go back! I now try to eat only local/humanely raised chicken, turkey and grass fed beef (on occasion) when ever possible (kosher is great too like someone mentioned). We eat salmon as well. I still use alot of the vegetarian dishes and add beans to alot of stuff so we aren't eating meat at every meal, or even everyday. I am glad I learned so much about varying my grains, nuts and beans.

I have since learned that much of the problems people associate with inflammation and meat is due to the way we raise them. If animals are allow to eat the diet they were intended to eat the meat is high in omega 3 fats (good for us)...if corn/grain fed they are high in omega 6 (too much can lead to inflammatory responses). So chosing the better quality meats is a good investment in my opinion if you stay with meat. Also, learning about varying the protein sources with many of the vegetarian methods has been great for us.

Saturated fats are not bad for us if they come from high quality sources. So coconut oil and some animal fats are actually healthy. Trans fats and hydrogenated fats are very bad for us and should be avoided at all costs. Many feel the increase in heart disease and cancer is due much more to our eating lbs of sugar and processed foods (denatured foods) each year since the beginning of the 1900's, not the saturated fats. These factors were not accounted for in many of the long term studies done on saturated fats...interesting.

You can sneak extra protein and healthy fats into all kinds of things if you are going to eliminate or reduce your meat consumption. You can grind flax seeds and almonds to add to breading (eggplant parm), add to your oatmeal, throw into smoothies. You can use nut milks and rice milk instead of soy and add fat with coconut milk or oil to bump the calories and fat up. You can add bean pastes to alot of things (especially white cannelini beans hide well). If you go vegan... really watch you Vitamin B levels and be even more careful, serious deficiencies can happen in a vegan diet without really becoming knowledgeable about cooking and varying the diet.

We avoided dairy with our son until recently. Even though he is no longer allergic, he has had tons more mucus since we added it to his diet. So we are going back off since it has done nothing for his weight. I also am not allegic anymore but really limit it and buy high quality sources. Not sure but goats milk can be easier for some digestion wise...anyone know if the mucus thing is all dairy products or just cows milk?

Good luck and be careful.

Foody

Here is my 10cents:

I would find a holistic MD or naturopath who can do an indepth analysis of your vitamin, mineral, antioxidants, lipid profile and protein levels to get a benchmark before you change too much. They can then monitor things to be sure things are staying balanced. Each of us is biochemically different and may require specific things in our diets to function properly. Add in the genetic challenges of CF and it may not be wise to do this without the right guidance.

I was a vegetarian for a year and it was not right for me (I do not have CF). I lost my energy and my cycles went haywire. I was very careful, cooked very good well-rounded meals, and took vitamins but it just didn't work for me. The soy based products really took a toll on me and I believe messed with my thyroid. I did it for animal cruelty reason too, so it was really hard to go back! I now try to eat only local/humanely raised chicken, turkey and grass fed beef (on occasion) when ever possible (kosher is great too like someone mentioned). We eat salmon as well. I still use alot of the vegetarian dishes and add beans to alot of stuff so we aren't eating meat at every meal, or even everyday. I am glad I learned so much about varying my grains, nuts and beans.

I have since learned that much of the problems people associate with inflammation and meat is due to the way we raise them. If animals are allow to eat the diet they were intended to eat the meat is high in omega 3 fats (good for us)...if corn/grain fed they are high in omega 6 (too much can lead to inflammatory responses). So chosing the better quality meats is a good investment in my opinion if you stay with meat. Also, learning about varying the protein sources with many of the vegetarian methods has been great for us.

Saturated fats are not bad for us if they come from high quality sources. So coconut oil and some animal fats are actually healthy. Trans fats and hydrogenated fats are very bad for us and should be avoided at all costs. Many feel the increase in heart disease and cancer is due much more to our eating lbs of sugar and processed foods (denatured foods) each year since the beginning of the 1900's, not the saturated fats. These factors were not accounted for in many of the long term studies done on saturated fats...interesting.

You can sneak extra protein and healthy fats into all kinds of things if you are going to eliminate or reduce your meat consumption. You can grind flax seeds and almonds to add to breading (eggplant parm), add to your oatmeal, throw into smoothies. You can use nut milks and rice milk instead of soy and add fat with coconut milk or oil to bump the calories and fat up. You can add bean pastes to alot of things (especially white cannelini beans hide well). If you go vegan... really watch you Vitamin B levels and be even more careful, serious deficiencies can happen in a vegan diet without really becoming knowledgeable about cooking and varying the diet.

We avoided dairy with our son until recently. Even though he is no longer allergic, he has had tons more mucus since we added it to his diet. So we are going back off since it has done nothing for his weight. I also am not allegic anymore but really limit it and buy high quality sources. Not sure but goats milk can be easier for some digestion wise...anyone know if the mucus thing is all dairy products or just cows milk?

Foody

Here is my 10cents:

Foody

Here is my 10cents:

Foody

Here is my 10cents: