Applying to colleges

MicheleGazelle

I would say don't mention it in your application but also don't hesitate to ask for handicap services after acceptance if you feel those will benefit you and don't hesitate to apply to scholarships for pwcf. In other words, bring it up only if you have good reason to believe beforehand that it will help you get what you need.

MicheleGazelle

I would say don't mention it in your application but also don't hesitate to ask for handicap services after acceptance if you feel those will benefit you and don't hesitate to apply to scholarships for pwcf. In other words, bring it up only if you have good reason to believe beforehand that it will help you get what you need.

MicheleGazelle

MicheleGazelle

MicheleGazelle

<br />

jaimers

Super Moderator
I did not mention it on any of my applications. but once accepted to the school i wanted to go to i did contact the health center and just let them know my situation so that if i were to show up sick they would have some clue as to what was going on. unfortunately, though they were super nice, they didn't always know what to do and would just have me get in touch with my CF docs at UNC. Later in college (Junior year until i graduated) I got pretty sick, pretty often and contacted the disabilities services office and they helped SO MUCH. I would HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend looking them up at the school Josh decides to attend.
It's their job to advocate for students with professors, etc. It doesn't matter the "disability" whether CF or ADD, wheelchair, etc.
When i had to miss extended periods of school for illnesses they helped me out. I can't say enough about how helpful they are.
I've also heard people that had bad experiences with their schools disability services so just look into that office and see what they offer!

jaimers

Super Moderator
I did not mention it on any of my applications. but once accepted to the school i wanted to go to i did contact the health center and just let them know my situation so that if i were to show up sick they would have some clue as to what was going on. unfortunately, though they were super nice, they didn't always know what to do and would just have me get in touch with my CF docs at UNC. Later in college (Junior year until i graduated) I got pretty sick, pretty often and contacted the disabilities services office and they helped SO MUCH. I would HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend looking them up at the school Josh decides to attend.
It's their job to advocate for students with professors, etc. It doesn't matter the "disability" whether CF or ADD, wheelchair, etc.
When i had to miss extended periods of school for illnesses they helped me out. I can't say enough about how helpful they are.
I've also heard people that had bad experiences with their schools disability services so just look into that office and see what they offer!

jaimers

Super Moderator

jaimers

Super Moderator

jaimers

Super Moderator
<br />It's their job to advocate for students with professors, etc. It doesn't matter the "disability" whether CF or ADD, wheelchair, etc.
<br />When i had to miss extended periods of school for illnesses they helped me out. I can't say enough about how helpful they are.
<br />I've also heard people that had bad experiences with their schools disability services so just look into that office and see what they offer!

M

MCGrad2006

I think that it is different for every student, as well as every college. I applied to four NE schools and wrote my essay on being accepted as a CFer with my high school field hockey team. It made for a good testament to my willingness to work hard and succeed. I got accepted to all of those colleges.

DEF mention it afterwards though. I told my health center and was then able to use those facilities for my PT. My physical therapist would come to the health center, where there was a room (that was hardly ever used b/c no one in my school trusted the health center...altho I liked them very much) and a bed and she used to do the therapy there instead of bothering my room mates with the 'beating.' I also was able to use a back door so I wouldnt have to walk through the sick people in the waiting room.

M

MCGrad2006

I think that it is different for every student, as well as every college. I applied to four NE schools and wrote my essay on being accepted as a CFer with my high school field hockey team. It made for a good testament to my willingness to work hard and succeed. I got accepted to all of those colleges.

DEF mention it afterwards though. I told my health center and was then able to use those facilities for my PT. My physical therapist would come to the health center, where there was a room (that was hardly ever used b/c no one in my school trusted the health center...altho I liked them very much) and a bed and she used to do the therapy there instead of bothering my room mates with the 'beating.' I also was able to use a back door so I wouldnt have to walk through the sick people in the waiting room.

M

MCGrad2006

M

MCGrad2006

M

MCGrad2006

<br />
<br />DEF mention it afterwards though. I told my health center and was then able to use those facilities for my PT. My physical therapist would come to the health center, where there was a room (that was hardly ever used b/c no one in my school trusted the health center...altho I liked them very much) and a bed and she used to do the therapy there instead of bothering my room mates with the 'beating.' I also was able to use a back door so I wouldnt have to walk through the sick people in the waiting room.

incognito

Whether or not you mention it in your application, you should absolutely inform your school upon admission of the fact that you have CF. All public universities are bound by law (504) to basically bend over backwards for you.

incognito

Whether or not you mention it in your application, you should absolutely inform your school upon admission of the fact that you have CF. All public universities are bound by law (504) to basically bend over backwards for you.

incognito

incognito

incognito