Aquagenic Wrinkling of the Palms

laulau555

I was pleasantly surprised to see that NoExcuses just posted something about this in her blog right after my doctor diagnosed it but I still have some questions...

Recently my palms have been getting very wrinkled in the shower and then staying like that all day in a whitish peely looking thing on the palms of my hand.It only started when I started school and they would get very wrinkled from the super-high-pressure shower but it hasn't gone away since. My doctor said it is VERY common in people with CF and sometimes it is associated with exacerbations but I wasn't sick when it started so it doesn't make sense. It isn't causing me any problems, just annoying to look at. Has this happened to anyone else? Do you know what caused it? Is there anything I can do to make it go away? Is it normal for it to randomly start happening?

laulau555

I was pleasantly surprised to see that NoExcuses just posted something about this in her blog right after my doctor diagnosed it but I still have some questions...

Recently my palms have been getting very wrinkled in the shower and then staying like that all day in a whitish peely looking thing on the palms of my hand.It only started when I started school and they would get very wrinkled from the super-high-pressure shower but it hasn't gone away since. My doctor said it is VERY common in people with CF and sometimes it is associated with exacerbations but I wasn't sick when it started so it doesn't make sense. It isn't causing me any problems, just annoying to look at. Has this happened to anyone else? Do you know what caused it? Is there anything I can do to make it go away? Is it normal for it to randomly start happening?

laulau555

laulau555

laulau555

<br />
<br />Recently my palms have been getting very wrinkled in the shower and then staying like that all day in a whitish peely looking thing on the palms of my hand.It only started when I started school and they would get very wrinkled from the super-high-pressure shower but it hasn't gone away since. My doctor said it is VERY common in people with CF and sometimes it is associated with exacerbations but I wasn't sick when it started so it doesn't make sense. It isn't causing me any problems, just annoying to look at. Has this happened to anyone else? Do you know what caused it? Is there anything I can do to make it go away? Is it normal for it to randomly start happening?

zoe4life

Lauren,
Hi!
Zoe has had this problem since she was a baby. It is pretty severe now when she gets her hands/feet wet. she also will get the peeling. I had to do hand prints for some thank you's for the CFF last week, even painting her palm made it wrinkle like crazy!
We lotion Zoe up like crazy to try to keep the peeling at bay....we use a good lotion like Curel...

Hope this helps...take care...

zoe4life

Lauren,
Hi!
Zoe has had this problem since she was a baby. It is pretty severe now when she gets her hands/feet wet. she also will get the peeling. I had to do hand prints for some thank you's for the CFF last week, even painting her palm made it wrinkle like crazy!
We lotion Zoe up like crazy to try to keep the peeling at bay....we use a good lotion like Curel...

zoe4life

Lauren,
Hi!

zoe4life

Lauren,
Hi!

zoe4life

Lauren,
<br />Hi!
<br />Zoe has had this problem since she was a baby. It is pretty severe now when she gets her hands/feet wet. she also will get the peeling. I had to do hand prints for some thank you's for the CFF last week, even painting her palm made it wrinkle like crazy!
<br />We lotion Zoe up like crazy to try to keep the peeling at bay....we use a good lotion like Curel...
<br />
<br />Hope this helps...take care...

lilywing

laulau,
wow! I have had this for over a year now. My hands get super wrinkly VERY quickly, in the shower, washing dishes, sometimes just from touching moisture (like wiping my tears if I've been crying). They are quite painful when they are pruney. The peeling just continues in stages. I have asked my CF doctors about this, and they had no clue! In fact, they started to explain to me that when you get in the shower, your hands will start to prune after a while...like I'm an idiot! Of course your hands get wrinkly when submersed in water, but not after a few seconds, and it's not normal for them to stay pruney and white and peeling and itchy right? And THEN, my CF psychiatrist was stumped, but she said it was a symptom of my depression. Yeah right!
Just wondering, do you have really itchy legs/feet? I've been having that on and off, basically since the wrinkly hands "phenomenon". At night, I feel like I want to scratch my legs right off!

At least we're not alone, but still don't know why!

lilywing

laulau,
wow! I have had this for over a year now. My hands get super wrinkly VERY quickly, in the shower, washing dishes, sometimes just from touching moisture (like wiping my tears if I've been crying). They are quite painful when they are pruney. The peeling just continues in stages. I have asked my CF doctors about this, and they had no clue! In fact, they started to explain to me that when you get in the shower, your hands will start to prune after a while...like I'm an idiot! Of course your hands get wrinkly when submersed in water, but not after a few seconds, and it's not normal for them to stay pruney and white and peeling and itchy right? And THEN, my CF psychiatrist was stumped, but she said it was a symptom of my depression. Yeah right!
Just wondering, do you have really itchy legs/feet? I've been having that on and off, basically since the wrinkly hands "phenomenon". At night, I feel like I want to scratch my legs right off!

lilywing

laulau,

lilywing

laulau,

lilywing

laulau,
<br />wow! I have had this for over a year now. My hands get super wrinkly VERY quickly, in the shower, washing dishes, sometimes just from touching moisture (like wiping my tears if I've been crying). They are quite painful when they are pruney. The peeling just continues in stages. I have asked my CF doctors about this, and they had no clue! In fact, they started to explain to me that when you get in the shower, your hands will start to prune after a while...like I'm an idiot! Of course your hands get wrinkly when submersed in water, but not after a few seconds, and it's not normal for them to stay pruney and white and peeling and itchy right? And THEN, my CF psychiatrist was stumped, but she said it was a symptom of my depression. Yeah right!
<br />Just wondering, do you have really itchy legs/feet? I've been having that on and off, basically since the wrinkly hands "phenomenon". At night, I feel like I want to scratch my legs right off!
<br />
<br />At least we're not alone, but still don't know why!

nu65

Ive always noticed that my hands and feet get pruney faster than others, like when we're swimming in the pool or something. But only in the last 2 months or so have I noticed that its gotten painful and even when I'm not bathing/showering my hands are whitish and wrinkly and between my fingers it peels. I have been really sick so I think that may contribute but I also use hand sanitizer and wash my hands all the time. It does become painful if they're submerged too long. How weird! It probably has something to do with our chloride channels, darn it!

nu65

Ive always noticed that my hands and feet get pruney faster than others, like when we're swimming in the pool or something. But only in the last 2 months or so have I noticed that its gotten painful and even when I'm not bathing/showering my hands are whitish and wrinkly and between my fingers it peels. I have been really sick so I think that may contribute but I also use hand sanitizer and wash my hands all the time. It does become painful if they're submerged too long. How weird! It probably has something to do with our chloride channels, darn it!

nu65

nu65

nu65