Aren't we all fighting the same fight?!?!?!

H

hillthekhore

Perhaps, but is it fair to expect someone who can't afford to have a place to live to work for nothing? I mean, I love the research I do, but without a salary, I absolutely wouldn't be able to hold down this job. If this job were paid at minimum wage, there's no way I'd be able to do any volunteering because I'd have to get another job to support myself.

I mean, I think the argument is more about the need for a particular level of financial support to actually live than it is about people being unable to commit to working for free.

H

hillthekhore

Perhaps, but is it fair to expect someone who can't afford to have a place to live to work for nothing? I mean, I love the research I do, but without a salary, I absolutely wouldn't be able to hold down this job. If this job were paid at minimum wage, there's no way I'd be able to do any volunteering because I'd have to get another job to support myself.

I mean, I think the argument is more about the need for a particular level of financial support to actually live than it is about people being unable to commit to working for free.

H

hillthekhore

<br />
<br />I mean, I think the argument is more about the need for a particular level of financial support to actually live than it is about people being unable to commit to working for free.

Havoc

Well, that's why I said it depends on how much work is involved. As in your case, your work requires a lot of time and so you could not possibly do it for free and survive financially. That may be the case with the CEO of the CFF. It might be an enormous workload and in that case I would not expect it to be done for free.

I used to work for a not for profit organization and the people at the top of the ladder did almost nothing and raked in obscene amounts of money. Maybe we should research how much work actually goes into managing the operations of the CFF.

Back to the original problem. I can see, from a logistical standpoint, their unwillingness to let people set up tables at events. It may be a few at first, but as time goes by you could have dozens or perhaps even hundreds. Who then takes care of ensuring everyone has a space and making sure that there isn't mass chaos? It may put a strain on the resources they have allocated for the event, which are undoubtedly unpaid volunteers.

Havoc

Well, that's why I said it depends on how much work is involved. As in your case, your work requires a lot of time and so you could not possibly do it for free and survive financially. That may be the case with the CEO of the CFF. It might be an enormous workload and in that case I would not expect it to be done for free.

I used to work for a not for profit organization and the people at the top of the ladder did almost nothing and raked in obscene amounts of money. Maybe we should research how much work actually goes into managing the operations of the CFF.

Back to the original problem. I can see, from a logistical standpoint, their unwillingness to let people set up tables at events. It may be a few at first, but as time goes by you could have dozens or perhaps even hundreds. Who then takes care of ensuring everyone has a space and making sure that there isn't mass chaos? It may put a strain on the resources they have allocated for the event, which are undoubtedly unpaid volunteers.

Havoc

<br />
<br />I used to work for a not for profit organization and the people at the top of the ladder did almost nothing and raked in obscene amounts of money. Maybe we should research how much work actually goes into managing the operations of the CFF.
<br />
<br />Back to the original problem. I can see, from a logistical standpoint, their unwillingness to let people set up tables at events. It may be a few at first, but as time goes by you could have dozens or perhaps even hundreds. Who then takes care of ensuring everyone has a space and making sure that there isn't mass chaos? It may put a strain on the resources they have allocated for the event, which are undoubtedly unpaid volunteers.