authenticity?

2005CFmom

Super Moderator
I'm with the majority, leave the site as is. There would be no way for the site administration to validate peoples reasons for being here. Besides, they do a great job moderating the site and banning people that do create problems. Bottom line is you need to screen for yourself who you can trust.

If you want to discuss something more privately, use the Private Topic feature on this site. That way you can invite the people that you have deemed to be authentic. You might feel safer doing that.

2005CFmom

Super Moderator
I'm with the majority, leave the site as is. There would be no way for the site administration to validate peoples reasons for being here. Besides, they do a great job moderating the site and banning people that do create problems. Bottom line is you need to screen for yourself who you can trust.

If you want to discuss something more privately, use the Private Topic feature on this site. That way you can invite the people that you have deemed to be authentic. You might feel safer doing that.

2005CFmom

Super Moderator

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
It's just common sense... You just have to be cautious when posting on the internet. Unlike some sites, this one doesn't have personal information listed on the profiles (location, name, sex)... When I first started posting, I used the generic DH, DS, FIL.... And a member criticized me for doing so. But hey, didn't know you people back then and I want to protect our child . Plus as our he gets older, I don't think he'll want to see his name broadcast over the internet.

Another reason for privacy... Once in awhile we may need to vent about friends, family members, clinics, doctors... I don't necessarily want them to find out.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
It's just common sense... You just have to be cautious when posting on the internet. Unlike some sites, this one doesn't have personal information listed on the profiles (location, name, sex)... When I first started posting, I used the generic DH, DS, FIL.... And a member criticized me for doing so. But hey, didn't know you people back then and I want to protect our child . Plus as our he gets older, I don't think he'll want to see his name broadcast over the internet.

Another reason for privacy... Once in awhile we may need to vent about friends, family members, clinics, doctors... I don't necessarily want them to find out.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

julie

Miesl, I think we are on the same page here, and I'm aware she's PMed/emailed someone and told them they don't belong here, that they should leave and get over their CF related issues (not having CF themeselves) and that makes me sick to my stomach.

yes, ok, she did it privately. That's nice of her, really it is. But it's also NOT her place to do something like that, and offensive to me, and I'm actually disgusted, as it sounds like you are too.

And I was also surprised to see her PM you that nobody needs to leave, because I'm well aware she's told someone else to leave.

Who's the dishonest person now ess922

julie

Miesl, I think we are on the same page here, and I'm aware she's PMed/emailed someone and told them they don't belong here, that they should leave and get over their CF related issues (not having CF themeselves) and that makes me sick to my stomach.

yes, ok, she did it privately. That's nice of her, really it is. But it's also NOT her place to do something like that, and offensive to me, and I'm actually disgusted, as it sounds like you are too.

And I was also surprised to see her PM you that nobody needs to leave, because I'm well aware she's told someone else to leave.

julie

Emeraldmirror

No matter how you look at it, it would be an invasion of personal privacy. I know I wouldn't bother with a site that requires doctors notes etc. just to post on a forum. People lie, everyone lies... whether it be a white lie or a lie lie... we all do it.. not just the mentally ill... there are some people with cf who lie to... it's a public forum where anyone from the public can speak. Cf is a diverse subject that effects everyone differently so of course there are going to be disagreements. It's the nature of the beast, you can't expect to come onto any public forum and have everything you say agreed with. Yes I've read many arguments and those arguments are usually branching from controversial topics.. but that's what makes them controversial, everyone has their own opinion. You can't have a topic about abortion without hearing the goods and the bads and the people who are for and the people who are against. If you write a topic about what vest you think is better you probably won't get arguing. It depends on what you post. I'm sorry you feel like people personally attack you, but remember, you don't know these people, they don't know you personally, as far as you're concerned they're just words on a screen. Relax, don't feel the need to over explain yourself to every person who comes along who disagrees with what you say. best to just ignore and get on with your life.

Ashley 22 w/cf

Emeraldmirror

No matter how you look at it, it would be an invasion of personal privacy. I know I wouldn't bother with a site that requires doctors notes etc. just to post on a forum. People lie, everyone lies... whether it be a white lie or a lie lie... we all do it.. not just the mentally ill... there are some people with cf who lie to... it's a public forum where anyone from the public can speak. Cf is a diverse subject that effects everyone differently so of course there are going to be disagreements. It's the nature of the beast, you can't expect to come onto any public forum and have everything you say agreed with. Yes I've read many arguments and those arguments are usually branching from controversial topics.. but that's what makes them controversial, everyone has their own opinion. You can't have a topic about abortion without hearing the goods and the bads and the people who are for and the people who are against. If you write a topic about what vest you think is better you probably won't get arguing. It depends on what you post. I'm sorry you feel like people personally attack you, but remember, you don't know these people, they don't know you personally, as far as you're concerned they're just words on a screen. Relax, don't feel the need to over explain yourself to every person who comes along who disagrees with what you say. best to just ignore and get on with your life.

Ashley 22 w/cf

Emeraldmirror

Ashley 22 w/cf

rotandroll

Not relating to the topic at all, but I figured it was as good a time as any to ask... how do I ignore specific users? (Not, it's not the person who started this thread).

rotandroll

Not relating to the topic at all, but I figured it was as good a time as any to ask... how do I ignore specific users? (Not, it's not the person who started this thread).

rotandroll

LouLou

I just want to say that I'm glad that members of people's cf support system are on this site not just people with cf. I think it gives us all insight into this dreaded disease and how it effects most aspects of ours. When I'm learning about something I never just want to hear one side of the story. In the last year while with this site my cf knowledge has increased so much - a lot in part to the participation of parents, spouses, significant others and widows.

If there's anything we could change about our membership, I would say we need to recruit some more funny people to participate.

I feel this discussion is so petty while we have member, Roshelle, going through such a life altering operation. It is one hour into her surgery. May the surgery team be blessed with stamina and accuracy and be able to say this is the best lobectomy they have ever completed very soon.

LouLou

I just want to say that I'm glad that members of people's cf support system are on this site not just people with cf. I think it gives us all insight into this dreaded disease and how it effects most aspects of ours. When I'm learning about something I never just want to hear one side of the story. In the last year while with this site my cf knowledge has increased so much - a lot in part to the participation of parents, spouses, significant others and widows.

If there's anything we could change about our membership, I would say we need to recruit some more funny people to participate.

I feel this discussion is so petty while we have member, Roshelle, going through such a life altering operation. It is one hour into her surgery. May the surgery team be blessed with stamina and accuracy and be able to say this is the best lobectomy they have ever completed very soon.

LouLou

EnergyGal

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>I feel this discussion is so petty while we have member, Roshelle, going through such a life altering operation. It is one hour into her surgery. May the surgery team be blessed with stamina and accuracy and be able to say this is the best lobectomy they have ever completed very soon.</end quote></div>

Amen!

I went searching to contact a pharma company and they ask for your drivers licence and personal information just to email them. I guess it is working out for them. I left the site and found another.

EnergyGal

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>I feel this discussion is so petty while we have member, Roshelle, going through such a life altering operation. It is one hour into her surgery. May the surgery team be blessed with stamina and accuracy and be able to say this is the best lobectomy they have ever completed very soon.</end quote></div>

Amen!

I went searching to contact a pharma company and they ask for your drivers licence and personal information just to email them. I guess it is working out for them. I left the site and found another.