Bi-Polar disorder and Cystic Fibrosis

nocode

I have it and also obsessive/compulsive disorder, but i don't like to give names to those things.. i prefer to think they're just part of my personality, without the word "disorder".

nocode

I have it and also obsessive/compulsive disorder, but i don't like to give names to those things.. i prefer to think they're just part of my personality, without the word "disorder".

nocode

CyndiW555

My doc said there is a newly dx. of mild bipolar. It is when people have ups and downs. It used to be very High ups of distructive behaivor and or behaivor that threatens others. sometimes this can mean spending more money than you have endangering your family. or off the wall behaivior.

Lows are seclusion or lashing out.

now she says there is a mild form of this that the drs. are telling pts. about. I said of course people have highs and lows. Were sick then we're not. We're worring about dieing and making wills in our twenty's and we are doing it not because we are responsible young adults but because.... well you know we have cf.

That dx. makes me think of all the people who could have the mild form. Perhaps half the world????

CyndiW555

My doc said there is a newly dx. of mild bipolar. It is when people have ups and downs. It used to be very High ups of distructive behaivor and or behaivor that threatens others. sometimes this can mean spending more money than you have endangering your family. or off the wall behaivior.

now she says there is a mild form of this that the drs. are telling pts. about. I said of course people have highs and lows. Were sick then we're not. We're worring about dieing and making wills in our twenty's and we are doing it not because we are responsible young adults but because.... well you know we have cf.

That dx. makes me think of all the people who could have the mild form. Perhaps half the world????

CyndiW555

Scarlett81

calssical extreme bipolar disorder, (I'm not familiar with the newer mild dx you are reffering to) is not a disorder that you acquire bc of environmental reasons (your raising or childhood trauma). its an inherited trait, genetic but only in the sense that if your grandma had say arthritis you would be prone to that as well, the same with bipolar disorder. biopolar disorder is very commonly overdiagnosed or people assume that bc they have highs and lows they are bipolar, but other disorders can have highs and lows too.

other disorders, like post traumatic stress disorder, anxiety disorder and depression are environmental. i have diagnosed post traumatic stress disorder.

so this is very interesting to me- if alot of cfers are actually getting the actual clinical dx of traditional bipolar disorder its possible there is a genetic coorelation somehow. i'd love to see if someone has published a study on this.

Scarlett81

calssical extreme bipolar disorder, (I'm not familiar with the newer mild dx you are reffering to) is not a disorder that you acquire bc of environmental reasons (your raising or childhood trauma). its an inherited trait, genetic but only in the sense that if your grandma had say arthritis you would be prone to that as well, the same with bipolar disorder. biopolar disorder is very commonly overdiagnosed or people assume that bc they have highs and lows they are bipolar, but other disorders can have highs and lows too.

other disorders, like post traumatic stress disorder, anxiety disorder and depression are environmental. i have diagnosed post traumatic stress disorder.

so this is very interesting to me- if alot of cfers are actually getting the actual clinical dx of traditional bipolar disorder its possible there is a genetic coorelation somehow. i'd love to see if someone has published a study on this.

Scarlett81

LisaV

Don't forget that you have to have a Dx in order for insurance to pay for care.
And that adjustment disorder is by definition only a short term disorder usually treated by psychotherapy while adjusting to the ever changing aspects of CF is a lifelong process which definately includes some ups and downs (bipolar II?) and some flashback-type stressors (PTSD?).

There is no good Dx that I know of in the DSM for mental disorders caused by the pure stress of having a progressive illness. (Though I've always thought of prednisone as a mood destabilizer so if your on that there is a DSM dx for mood disorder brought on by meds, etc.)

Tho CF is definately genetic and bipolar certainly appears to be, I seriously doubt that there is any genetic connection between the 2. I sure know more folks with bipolar who do NOT have CF than those that do.

LisaV

And that adjustment disorder is by definition only a short term disorder usually treated by psychotherapy while adjusting to the ever changing aspects of CF is a lifelong process which definately includes some ups and downs (bipolar II?) and some flashback-type stressors (PTSD?).

There is no good Dx that I know of in the DSM for mental disorders caused by the pure stress of having a progressive illness. (Though I've always thought of prednisone as a mood destabilizer so if your on that there is a DSM dx for mood disorder brought on by meds, etc.)

Tho CF is definately genetic and bipolar certainly appears to be, I seriously doubt that there is any genetic connection between the 2. I sure know more folks with bipolar who do NOT have CF than those that do.

LisaV

Scarlett81

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>LisaV</b></i>

Tho CF is definately genetic and bipolar certainly appears to be, I seriously doubt that there is any genetic connection between the 2. I sure know more folks with bipolar who do NOT have CF than those that do.</end quote></div>
I agree.

And I wanted to add, that I didn't mean in any way to discredit anyone who has the dx of bipolar-I re read what I wrote and just wanted to be sure that no one would think thats what i meant. Its just that in this day and age, we are hearing alot more about bipolar disorder, and alot of people feel that if they have ups and downs, highs and lows, extremes- they must be bipolar when that particular symptom can be accompanied w any number of emotional disorders.

I also know of many friends/acquaintences that will be talking, referring to a friend or a relative and saying-so and so has so many highs and lows I know they have bipolar disorder...and that really does a discredit to the person they are talking about. Only a mental health professional can dx that. So just be sure to go and talk to a professional if you are having any symptoms that are affecting your life-I am SOOOO glad I did! It changed my life. 100%.