Bi-Polar disorder and Cystic Fibrosis

Scarlett81

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>LisaV</b></i>

Tho CF is definately genetic and bipolar certainly appears to be, I seriously doubt that there is any genetic connection between the 2. I sure know more folks with bipolar who do NOT have CF than those that do.</end quote></div>
I agree.

And I wanted to add, that I didn't mean in any way to discredit anyone who has the dx of bipolar-I re read what I wrote and just wanted to be sure that no one would think thats what i meant. Its just that in this day and age, we are hearing alot more about bipolar disorder, and alot of people feel that if they have ups and downs, highs and lows, extremes- they must be bipolar when that particular symptom can be accompanied w any number of emotional disorders.

I also know of many friends/acquaintences that will be talking, referring to a friend or a relative and saying-so and so has so many highs and lows I know they have bipolar disorder...and that really does a discredit to the person they are talking about. Only a mental health professional can dx that. So just be sure to go and talk to a professional if you are having any symptoms that are affecting your life-I am SOOOO glad I did! It changed my life. 100%.

Scarlett81

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>LisaV</b></i>

Tho CF is definately genetic and bipolar certainly appears to be, I seriously doubt that there is any genetic connection between the 2. I sure know more folks with bipolar who do NOT have CF than those that do.</end quote></div>
I agree.

And I wanted to add, that I didn't mean in any way to discredit anyone who has the dx of bipolar-I re read what I wrote and just wanted to be sure that no one would think thats what i meant. Its just that in this day and age, we are hearing alot more about bipolar disorder, and alot of people feel that if they have ups and downs, highs and lows, extremes- they must be bipolar when that particular symptom can be accompanied w any number of emotional disorders.

I also know of many friends/acquaintences that will be talking, referring to a friend or a relative and saying-so and so has so many highs and lows I know they have bipolar disorder...and that really does a discredit to the person they are talking about. Only a mental health professional can dx that. So just be sure to go and talk to a professional if you are having any symptoms that are affecting your life-I am SOOOO glad I did! It changed my life. 100%.

Seana30

My grandmother, father, aunts, and brother are all bi polar. It is definetely not a enviromental illness. It is a chemical imbalance within the brain. I am not sure, but would assume it is genetic since so many of my family members have it (I was adopted, so it was not something I personally have dealt with).

It is a hard illness to deal with. One of my aunts commited suicide and when I was in high school my father was in the hospital for almost a year. My father and brother seem to be able to keep it pretty much under control with medications.

I was quite surprised to see how many CFers said they are bi polar. This is quite interesting.

Seana

Seana30

My grandmother, father, aunts, and brother are all bi polar. It is definetely not a enviromental illness. It is a chemical imbalance within the brain. I am not sure, but would assume it is genetic since so many of my family members have it (I was adopted, so it was not something I personally have dealt with).

It is a hard illness to deal with. One of my aunts commited suicide and when I was in high school my father was in the hospital for almost a year. My father and brother seem to be able to keep it pretty much under control with medications.

I was quite surprised to see how many CFers said they are bi polar. This is quite interesting.

Seana

Seana30

Seana

CaliSally

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>dbtoo</b></i>

No, but let me ask one of my other personalities....?</end quote></div>

LOL

CaliSally

LOL

CaliSally

LOL

Lilith

In my opinion, if that's the case, every human being on this planet has bi polar "disorder" to some degree, and I know for a fact that I'm OCD as far as how I keep my things. However, unlike most Ph.D.'s, I think its just one more excuse for the pharmasutical companies to make another drug and thus make more money. Soon everyone's going to be on some type of mental drug just because doctors tell them they need it. I prefer, as nocode said, to see these things as part of what makes me <i>me</i>, instead of trying to "correct" it. If someone has a severe problem, that's one thing. But I don't think anyone needs a pill for "mild" bi polar disorder. Sounds silly to me.

Lilith

In my opinion, if that's the case, every human being on this planet has bi polar "disorder" to some degree, and I know for a fact that I'm OCD as far as how I keep my things. However, unlike most Ph.D.'s, I think its just one more excuse for the pharmasutical companies to make another drug and thus make more money. Soon everyone's going to be on some type of mental drug just because doctors tell them they need it. I prefer, as nocode said, to see these things as part of what makes me <i>me</i>, instead of trying to "correct" it. If someone has a severe problem, that's one thing. But I don't think anyone needs a pill for "mild" bi polar disorder. Sounds silly to me.

Lilith

lightNlife

In response to Cyndi's post, yes, there is a "mild" form of bi-polar, but the description she had of it was a bit misleading. The difference in the mild form, is that a person does not have overly grandiose thoughts or behaviors in their highs and lows.(i.e. thinking they can fly, or that everyone is trying to kill them. )

"Mild" bi-polar disorder (also known as bipolar II) isn't silly. It's as legit as manic-depressive disorder, and is effectively controlled with mood stabilizing medication. Bipolar II is characterized by less severe "highs," and "lows" even when a person is in a period of rapid cycling. The cycling can still include destructive behavior such as spending sprees, binge drinking, or sexual impropriety. The difference is hard to define, but it lies mostly in how the disorder responds to treatment.

Although bipolar is regarded by some as the "psychosis d'jour" or the latest excuse for some to not have to take responsibility for their behavior, people who have it are gratfeul for the diagnosis and treatment.

It is not "corrected" with a pill. It is managed with medication, which may involve mood stabilizers, antidepressants or in some cases, anti-anxiety and anti-psychotics. It depends largely on an individual's particular manifestation of the condition.

I recently read a wonderful book called "<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Genes-Breaking-Chemical-Imbalances/dp/1589971965">"Blue Genes"</a> by Dr. Todd Clements.
It's subtitled: Breaking Free From The Chemical Imbalances That Affect Your Moods, Your Mind, Your Life, And Your Loved Ones. I highly recommend it for anyone who has recently been diagnosed with any sort of anxiety or mood disorder. People who have a stigma about seeking professional help from a psychiatrist would also benefit from it. It's a quick read, and explains things very well.

lightNlife

In response to Cyndi's post, yes, there is a "mild" form of bi-polar, but the description she had of it was a bit misleading. The difference in the mild form, is that a person does not have overly grandiose thoughts or behaviors in their highs and lows.(i.e. thinking they can fly, or that everyone is trying to kill them. )

"Mild" bi-polar disorder (also known as bipolar II) isn't silly. It's as legit as manic-depressive disorder, and is effectively controlled with mood stabilizing medication. Bipolar II is characterized by less severe "highs," and "lows" even when a person is in a period of rapid cycling. The cycling can still include destructive behavior such as spending sprees, binge drinking, or sexual impropriety. The difference is hard to define, but it lies mostly in how the disorder responds to treatment.

Although bipolar is regarded by some as the "psychosis d'jour" or the latest excuse for some to not have to take responsibility for their behavior, people who have it are gratfeul for the diagnosis and treatment.

It is not "corrected" with a pill. It is managed with medication, which may involve mood stabilizers, antidepressants or in some cases, anti-anxiety and anti-psychotics. It depends largely on an individual's particular manifestation of the condition.

I recently read a wonderful book called "<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Genes-Breaking-Chemical-Imbalances/dp/1589971965">"Blue Genes"</a> by Dr. Todd Clements.
It's subtitled: Breaking Free From The Chemical Imbalances That Affect Your Moods, Your Mind, Your Life, And Your Loved Ones. I highly recommend it for anyone who has recently been diagnosed with any sort of anxiety or mood disorder. People who have a stigma about seeking professional help from a psychiatrist would also benefit from it. It's a quick read, and explains things very well.

lightNlife

katyf13

Mental health is as important as any other part of your health. Brains are so complicated... people don't just "make up" disorders. Are things over-diagnosed? Sure, sometimes. But serious mental health issues should not be dismissed as nothing. I have a friend with bi-polar disorder who works extremely hard to stay happy and healthy.

katyf13

Mental health is as important as any other part of your health. Brains are so complicated... people don't just "make up" disorders. Are things over-diagnosed? Sure, sometimes. But serious mental health issues should not be dismissed as nothing. I have a friend with bi-polar disorder who works extremely hard to stay happy and healthy.

katyf13