Brilliant Doctors

JazzysMom

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>lightNlife</b></i>

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>kayleesgrandma</b></i>

Good job keeping on top of things--though you shouldn't have to!</end quote></div>

Why shouldn't she have to? Shouldn't the responsibility to care for another's well-being lie in the hands of family members? We can't pass the buck and expect an uninformed (but nonetheless medically capable) third party to be held responsible.

Granted, the situation stinks, but I think too many people are eager to thrust responsibility into the hands of others.</end quote></div>

What about those who dont have family to watch their backs? Does that fall onto the 3rd party then?

2perfectboys

This falls on the patient's responsability. I do not know all the facts, but it sounds like u were just made aware and he just told u that it was a sucicide attempt, so how was the doctor supose to know he had attempted suicide, if it was not documented. When u go to the ER, even if it is the same one, they don't print up this big file like your primary's doctors office keeps on you and reviews.... U go to the ER to have a urgent need addressed, hence his migranine, doctor asks guestions, patients responds and then they treat.....So I don't see how the is less than brilliant,just because he did not psychoanalyze your husbands headache and mental health.

Sorry, sounds to me like he treated the urgent problem at hand with the facts he had at the time. If there was a documented suicide attempt they would have last time as healthcare professionals been required to sign a 72 mental hold on him. When he OD'd on the Vicodin, what did he tell the ER on that visit?

2perfectboys

This falls on the patient's responsability. I do not know all the facts, but it sounds like u were just made aware and he just told u that it was a sucicide attempt, so how was the doctor supose to know he had attempted suicide, if it was not documented. When u go to the ER, even if it is the same one, they don't print up this big file like your primary's doctors office keeps on you and reviews.... U go to the ER to have a urgent need addressed, hence his migranine, doctor asks guestions, patients responds and then they treat.....So I don't see how the is less than brilliant,just because he did not psychoanalyze your husbands headache and mental health.

Sorry, sounds to me like he treated the urgent problem at hand with the facts he had at the time. If there was a documented suicide attempt they would have last time as healthcare professionals been required to sign a 72 mental hold on him. When he OD'd on the Vicodin, what did he tell the ER on that visit?

2perfectboys

amoo74

I agree with 2perfectboys. Unfortunately, the doctors, especially in ERs don't have time to be as thorough as we'd like. The doctor probably was just taking the man's word at face value and there was no need for further questioning. He might have even been aware of the overdose and asked the patient if he still felt suicidal. The doctors can really only go by what patients tell them. One of my old friends was a recovering alcoholic and drug addict. He had an accident at work and the ER doc gave him some serious pain killers, Vicodin or Percocet, I think. I was really frustrated by this, so I understand your feelings. But the doctor only could go by the info the patient shared.

You did the right thing by keeping track of the drugs though. That way he will be less likely to overdose again.

I hope he gets better all the way around.

amoo74

I agree with 2perfectboys. Unfortunately, the doctors, especially in ERs don't have time to be as thorough as we'd like. The doctor probably was just taking the man's word at face value and there was no need for further questioning. He might have even been aware of the overdose and asked the patient if he still felt suicidal. The doctors can really only go by what patients tell them. One of my old friends was a recovering alcoholic and drug addict. He had an accident at work and the ER doc gave him some serious pain killers, Vicodin or Percocet, I think. I was really frustrated by this, so I understand your feelings. But the doctor only could go by the info the patient shared.

You did the right thing by keeping track of the drugs though. That way he will be less likely to overdose again.

amoo74

Sreh

The important thing to keep in mind here is that your husband didn't hide the fact from you. He told you what happened and let you know he received the prescription meds. You responded in proper fashion and took them away. Props for being on top of the situation.

Sreh

The important thing to keep in mind here is that your husband didn't hide the fact from you. He told you what happened and let you know he received the prescription meds. You responded in proper fashion and took them away. Props for being on top of the situation.

Sreh

dramamama

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>JazzysMom</b></i>

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>lightNlife</b></i>

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>kayleesgrandma</b></i>

Good job keeping on top of things--though you shouldn't have to!</end quote></div>

Why shouldn't she have to? Shouldn't the responsibility to care for another's well-being lie in the hands of family members? We can't pass the buck and expect an uninformed (but nonetheless medically capable) third party to be held responsible.

Granted, the situation stinks, but I think too many people are eager to thrust responsibility into the hands of others.</end quote></div>

What about those who dont have family to watch their backs? Does that fall onto the 3rd party then?</end quote></div>

I have a very strong opinion on this. Having a brother who tried over 20 times to kill himself by suffocation, drugs...etc. it is the responsibility of all involved. A family member has to watch a depressed person like a hawk..and especially if they have any sort of drug issue...the lying can get really out of control. Of course, depressed peple tend to lie as well, if they are severely depressed and are not wanting to be helped.

My brother convinced an ER doc to release him just hours after a suicide attempt while my sister in law was crying and BEGGING the doc to keep him for the 72 hours. My brother was too convincing and was released. There are also other times when DOCS at top mental health hospital from Menningers to Mclean actually gave vicodin to my brother because he was so convincing...telling them he had a back injury that requires meds. Doctors MUST be more responsible about prescribing drugs for anxiety, pain..whatever. My brother's problems started when some doc gave him Xanax years ago....

Family must do everything they can, but many times, they are ill-equipped to deal with such serious issues as depression and drug use. My brother would be doing fine...living clean and healthy..and one day fall off the deep end. My sister in law did all that she knew to do, my family had him in every TOP hospital in the nation and the "dark side" was just more appealing. My sister in law is now on a mission to see that docs pay more attention to the signs

My brother died three weeks after his last admission to the ER...

dramamama

What about those who dont have family to watch their backs? Does that fall onto the 3rd party then?</end quote></div>

I have a very strong opinion on this. Having a brother who tried over 20 times to kill himself by suffocation, drugs...etc. it is the responsibility of all involved. A family member has to watch a depressed person like a hawk..and especially if they have any sort of drug issue...the lying can get really out of control. Of course, depressed peple tend to lie as well, if they are severely depressed and are not wanting to be helped.

My brother convinced an ER doc to release him just hours after a suicide attempt while my sister in law was crying and BEGGING the doc to keep him for the 72 hours. My brother was too convincing and was released. There are also other times when DOCS at top mental health hospital from Menningers to Mclean actually gave vicodin to my brother because he was so convincing...telling them he had a back injury that requires meds. Doctors MUST be more responsible about prescribing drugs for anxiety, pain..whatever. My brother's problems started when some doc gave him Xanax years ago....

Family must do everything they can, but many times, they are ill-equipped to deal with such serious issues as depression and drug use. My brother would be doing fine...living clean and healthy..and one day fall off the deep end. My sister in law did all that she knew to do, my family had him in every TOP hospital in the nation and the "dark side" was just more appealing. My sister in law is now on a mission to see that docs pay more attention to the signs

dramamama

LisaV

She shouldn't have to because she is his WIFE not his PSYCHIATRIST or KEEPER. It is one thing to offer generalized support to a mildly depressed person and another to keep a suicidal person safe. Call me selcentered and lazy, but I do not believe family members should be expected to keep their suicidal family members safe.

LisaV

She shouldn't have to because she is his WIFE not his PSYCHIATRIST or KEEPER. It is one thing to offer generalized support to a mildly depressed person and another to keep a suicidal person safe. Call me selcentered and lazy, but I do not believe family members should be expected to keep their suicidal family members safe.

LisaV

dramamama

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>LisaV</b></i>

She shouldn't have to because she is his WIFE not his PSYCHIATRIST or KEEPER. It is one thing to offer generalized support to a mildly depressed person and another to keep a suicidal person safe. Call me selcentered and lazy, but I do not believe family members should be expected to keep their suicidal family members safe.</end quote></div>

I agree 100%

dramamama

She shouldn't have to because she is his WIFE not his PSYCHIATRIST or KEEPER. It is one thing to offer generalized support to a mildly depressed person and another to keep a suicidal person safe. Call me selcentered and lazy, but I do not believe family members should be expected to keep their suicidal family members safe.</end quote></div>

I agree 100%

dramamama

I agree 100%

2perfectboys

Your right, family can not do it all. But doctors can't do it all either. Ultimately, that person is responsible for themselves. If someone is kept on a 72 hour hold and then tells the doctor they are no longer suicidal, then they have to follow the law. I am very sorry for your brothers death. Suicide is such a prevelant thing in our society. I agree there are not a lot of quality facilities for dealing with depression and suicide. I have dealt with several people that attempted suicide for attention. But the there are the ones that are set on killing themselve and they usually eventually suceed. A person that commits suicide is not in their right mind and thinking rationally, and see no other way to deal with life. That is the sad truth of suicide and it leaves a lot of deep scars with the survivors.

Lori