Carriers symptoms..?

helena

Hi,

I have read some article that also CF-carriers can have some mild CF-symptoms.

What are the symptoms and is there some matter with mutation?

H

helena

Hi,

H

helena

Hi,

H

helena

Hi,

H

helena

Hi,

H

JORDYSMOM

I've read that as well, and I also believe it is true. I have a lot of symptoms and so does my oldest son who is a carrier. I just didn't know they were CF symptoms until I found this site. Jordan wasn't dx until he was 15. His CF is considered "mild" and "a-typical". I was told his problems were allergies and asthma. Of course growing up I was told I had severe allergies, so I believed the docs about my son. Needless to say, it was a little more than allergies.

My "carrier symptoms" are somewhat different from my son's, but there are a few that are the same. It may have something to do with the gene that we share, but gene mutation cannot always predict clinical outcome.

There are so many symptoms, and some of them are also symptoms of other diseases/conditions. In my family we have severe sinus issues, a high tendency to get bronchitis and pneumonia. We almost always have a productive cough. The boys have difficulty gaining weight. There are stomach issues such as bloating, diarrhea and major acid reflux! The list just goes on and on. Maybe if you list the symptoms you are concerned about, I or someone else here can give you some more feedback on them.

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

I've read that as well, and I also believe it is true. I have a lot of symptoms and so does my oldest son who is a carrier. I just didn't know they were CF symptoms until I found this site. Jordan wasn't dx until he was 15. His CF is considered "mild" and "a-typical". I was told his problems were allergies and asthma. Of course growing up I was told I had severe allergies, so I believed the docs about my son. Needless to say, it was a little more than allergies.

My "carrier symptoms" are somewhat different from my son's, but there are a few that are the same. It may have something to do with the gene that we share, but gene mutation cannot always predict clinical outcome.

There are so many symptoms, and some of them are also symptoms of other diseases/conditions. In my family we have severe sinus issues, a high tendency to get bronchitis and pneumonia. We almost always have a productive cough. The boys have difficulty gaining weight. There are stomach issues such as bloating, diarrhea and major acid reflux! The list just goes on and on. Maybe if you list the symptoms you are concerned about, I or someone else here can give you some more feedback on them.

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

Stacey

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
On DH's side of the family there are several family members with major sinus issues -- frequent infections, surgeries, polyps. I have sinus issues whereas DH had major problems with ear infections as a child. We joke that my FIL needs enzymes because he can't handle any kind of greasy food -- bacon, sausage...

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
On DH's side of the family there are several family members with major sinus issues -- frequent infections, surgeries, polyps. I have sinus issues whereas DH had major problems with ear infections as a child. We joke that my FIL needs enzymes because he can't handle any kind of greasy food -- bacon, sausage...

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

U

usedtobeinca

It made sense to me to hear there might be some symptoms associated with being a CF carrier. My parents remarked that I "always" seemed to get bronchitis (and pneumo a time or two) as a kiddo and sinus problems have been a life-long issue for me and many family members. In addition I was dx w/IBS about 8 yrs ago and pretty much everyone in the family has GI issues of one type or another. Also, doctors and family have remarked how my nephew always seems to have very heavy/thick mucus when ill.

Ultra-watered-down symptoms at worst, but I think it's interesting.

U

usedtobeinca

It made sense to me to hear there might be some symptoms associated with being a CF carrier. My parents remarked that I "always" seemed to get bronchitis (and pneumo a time or two) as a kiddo and sinus problems have been a life-long issue for me and many family members. In addition I was dx w/IBS about 8 yrs ago and pretty much everyone in the family has GI issues of one type or another. Also, doctors and family have remarked how my nephew always seems to have very heavy/thick mucus when ill.

U

usedtobeinca

U

usedtobeinca

U

usedtobeinca