CFers over 40

S

Swallowtail66

I am 45.  I was dx at 37 when my children's genetic reports came back positive and different from each other.   I also have asthma.  If the asthma is under control, my FEV 1's are in the 90's.  I seem to have more digestive problems than lung problems.  I am on digestive enzymes and deal with pain and blockages.  I have started taking Amitiza for the digestive problems and I think I feel better.  I still work full-time - usually 11 hours a day 5 days a week.  I am very tired by Friday, but I make it. I feel very blessed to be so healthy at this age. 

S

Swallowtail66

I am 45. I was dx at 37 when my children's genetic reports came back positive and different from each other. I also haveasthma. If the asthma is under control, my FEV 1's are in the 90's. I seem to have more digestive problems than lung problems. I am on digestive enzymes and deal with pain and blockages. I have started taking Amitiza for the digestive problems and I think I feel better. I still work full-time - usually 11 hours a day 5 days a week. I am very tired by Friday, but I make it.I feel very blessed to be so healthy at this age.

S

Swallowtail66

<BR>I am 45. I was dx at 37 when my children's genetic reports came back positive and different from each other. I also haveasthma. If the asthma is under control, my FEV 1's are in the 90's. I seem to have more digestive problems than lung problems. I am on digestive enzymes and deal with pain and blockages. I have started taking Amitiza for the digestive problems and I think I feel better. I still work full-time - usually 11 hours a day 5 days a week. I am very tired by Friday, but I make it.I feel very blessed to be so healthy at this age.

dbsholes

Hi.  I'm 44 (1/17/67); diagnosed at 8 months.  FEV1 is currently in the low to mid 80s, but it's been as low as 54 and as high as 95 in the last seven years.  Overall I've been lucky -with very mild lung-disease.  The lowest was a result of a fungal infection in 2004.<br><div><div><br></div><div>David</div></div>

dbsholes

Hi. I'm 44 (1/17/67); diagnosed at 8 months. FEV1 is currently in the low to mid 80s, but it's been as low as 54 and as high as 95 in the last seven years. Overall I've been lucky -with very mild lung-disease. The lowest was a result of a fungal infection in 2004.<br><br>David

dbsholes

Hi. I'm 44 (1/17/67); diagnosed at 8 months. FEV1 is currently in the low to mid 80s, but it's been as low as 54 and as high as 95 in the last seven years. Overall I've been lucky -with very mild lung-disease. The lowest was a result of a fungal infection in 2004.<br><br>David

MichaelL

Thanks for creating this thread -- it's encouraging to see all the people over 40!
<br>
<br>I'm 44 and was diagnosed at 34 (10 years ago this month). My FEV1 is around 50% although it's been slightly higher and lower in the last six months. I am pancreatic sufficient. I was working 4 days a week until this year when I had to switch to 3 days (i.e., about 24 hours a week). I'm on long term IV therapy for mycobacterium abscesses and the treatments plus doctor's visits and tests were making it hard to keep up at work.
<br>
<br>My doctor was recently telling me that the CF doctors have started to share information across clinics on patients over 40. She said it helped highlight issues to look out for.
<br><div><br></div><div>PFT = pulmonary function test (i.e., breathing test). My doctor seems to focus most on FEV1 - the amount of air you blow out in the first second of the test.</div>

MichaelL

Thanks for creating this thread -- it's encouraging to see all the people over 40!
<br>
<br>I'm 44 and was diagnosed at 34 (10 years ago this month). My FEV1 is around 50% although it's been slightly higher and lower in the last six months. I am pancreatic sufficient. I was working 4 days a week until this year when I had to switch to 3 days (i.e., about 24 hours a week). I'm on long term IV therapy for mycobacterium abscesses and the treatments plus doctor's visits and tests were making it hard to keep up at work.
<br>
<br>My doctor was recently telling me that the CF doctors have started to share information across clinics on patients over 40. She said it helped highlight issues to look out for.
<br><br>PFT = pulmonary function test (i.e., breathing test). My doctor seems to focus most on FEV1 - the amount of air you blow out in the first second of the test.

MichaelL

<br>
<br>
<br><br>PFT = pulmonary function test (i.e., breathing test). My doctor seems to focus most on FEV1 - the amount of air you blow out in the first second of the test.

B

bookworm

Hi,

I'm 55, diagnosed at 48, borderline pancreatic sufficiency, FEV1 around 60.

B

bookworm

Hi,

I'm 55, diagnosed at 48, borderline pancreatic sufficiency, FEV1 around 60.