CFRD W/O fasting hyperglycemia

ktsmom

I have observed in Katy off and on, even pre-diagnosis, some MAJOR episodes of having to pee frequently. Yesterday I swear she literally peed all day long, non-stop. And her Pull-Up (poor thing we've had to put them back on her at night) weighed about 4 pounds this morning it was so wet.

I had mentioned this to her CF doc in June. He reviewed her chart and said she had a casual blood glucose in February of 112 and she has no other real symptoms of CFRD. But as I research this morning, I wonder about CFRD Without Fasting Hyperglycemia or some other kind of abnormal gulcose tolerance.

Would you ask for an Oral Glucose Tolerance Test (which I hate to put her through; she despises blood draws) or just continue to let it ride?

ktsmom

I have observed in Katy off and on, even pre-diagnosis, some MAJOR episodes of having to pee frequently. Yesterday I swear she literally peed all day long, non-stop. And her Pull-Up (poor thing we've had to put them back on her at night) weighed about 4 pounds this morning it was so wet.

I had mentioned this to her CF doc in June. He reviewed her chart and said she had a casual blood glucose in February of 112 and she has no other real symptoms of CFRD. But as I research this morning, I wonder about CFRD Without Fasting Hyperglycemia or some other kind of abnormal gulcose tolerance.

Would you ask for an Oral Glucose Tolerance Test (which I hate to put her through; she despises blood draws) or just continue to let it ride?

ktsmom

ktsmom

ktsmom

ktsmom

coltsfan715

If you are concerned I would get it checked. It won't take much for the doc to order it for your own piece of mind.

I also wanted to through this out there. Does she possibly have a bladder infection or anything like that? I know that can make you pee more often at times. Also has she been coughing more often? I know when I was having a hard time at the beginning of the year and coughing a lot I was having the urge to urinate a lot more often through the day and in the night as well. It was just the strain I guess on my bladder and stomach muscles from all the coughing.

I just wanted to put those out there as possbilities of things that might be going on other than diabetes. Being diabetic myself and being that it went almost a year undiagnosed I am FOR getting it checked out just in case. That is just me though. I think it never hurts to be on top of things and IF she does (though I am not saying that is the case) have CFRD it is best to catch it now than wait months for her to have MORE symptoms. Just my opinion on that.

Good Luck with Everything and I hope you find out what the problem is - and if it is nothing that would be even better. It may just be a fluke thing that is acting up right now.

Take Care,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

If you are concerned I would get it checked. It won't take much for the doc to order it for your own piece of mind.

I also wanted to through this out there. Does she possibly have a bladder infection or anything like that? I know that can make you pee more often at times. Also has she been coughing more often? I know when I was having a hard time at the beginning of the year and coughing a lot I was having the urge to urinate a lot more often through the day and in the night as well. It was just the strain I guess on my bladder and stomach muscles from all the coughing.

I just wanted to put those out there as possbilities of things that might be going on other than diabetes. Being diabetic myself and being that it went almost a year undiagnosed I am FOR getting it checked out just in case. That is just me though. I think it never hurts to be on top of things and IF she does (though I am not saying that is the case) have CFRD it is best to catch it now than wait months for her to have MORE symptoms. Just my opinion on that.

Good Luck with Everything and I hope you find out what the problem is - and if it is nothing that would be even better. It may just be a fluke thing that is acting up right now.

Take Care,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Take Care,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Take Care,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Take Care,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Take Care,
Lindsey

LAstar

The past two years my kiddo had the test done without fasting and I remember the results being very similiar (I panicked too.) This year we did it WITH fasting and the results were in the normal range.

Good idea to check for a bladder infection. Also is she just drinking more??

Take Care,

Lisa mom to 3 kids, 1 with CF

LAstar

The past two years my kiddo had the test done without fasting and I remember the results being very similiar (I panicked too.) This year we did it WITH fasting and the results were in the normal range.

Take Care,

LAstar

Take Care,

LAstar

Take Care,

LAstar

Take Care,

LAstar

Take Care,

ktsmom

Thanks for responding - yes, we did rule out a bladder infection this morning (with a test strip) but they are sending her sample off to the lab to see if it cultures anything else.

My understanding of "CFRD W/O Fasting Hyperglycemia" is that a fasting blood glucose reading is NOT abnormal, but an OGTT result IS abnormal. I'm still reading, talking to the doctor, etc. He's not willing to order an OGTT and I feel frustrated because I know that what is going on with my daughter is not normal.

ktsmom

Thanks for responding - yes, we did rule out a bladder infection this morning (with a test strip) but they are sending her sample off to the lab to see if it cultures anything else.

My understanding of "CFRD W/O Fasting Hyperglycemia" is that a fasting blood glucose reading is NOT abnormal, but an OGTT result IS abnormal. I'm still reading, talking to the doctor, etc. He's not willing to order an OGTT and I feel frustrated because I know that what is going on with my daughter is not normal.