CFRD W/O fasting hyperglycemia

ktsmom

Thanks for responding - yes, we did rule out a bladder infection this morning (with a test strip) but they are sending her sample off to the lab to see if it cultures anything else.

My understanding of "CFRD W/O Fasting Hyperglycemia" is that a fasting blood glucose reading is NOT abnormal, but an OGTT result IS abnormal. I'm still reading, talking to the doctor, etc. He's not willing to order an OGTT and I feel frustrated because I know that what is going on with my daughter is not normal.

ktsmom

Thanks for responding - yes, we did rule out a bladder infection this morning (with a test strip) but they are sending her sample off to the lab to see if it cultures anything else.

My understanding of "CFRD W/O Fasting Hyperglycemia" is that a fasting blood glucose reading is NOT abnormal, but an OGTT result IS abnormal. I'm still reading, talking to the doctor, etc. He's not willing to order an OGTT and I feel frustrated because I know that what is going on with my daughter is not normal.

ktsmom

ktsmom

NoExcuses

If your doc isn't willing to order an OGTT (and i don't know why not... it doesn't cost him money... you should really question what type of doc you are seeing if he's not willing to order tests), then go to a Endo.

Your daughter is counting on you to be her advocate and to be as proactive about her care as possible.

You need to either really grill your CF doc about why in the world he has a problem with an OGTT, or pick up the phone and make an apt with an Endo who for sure will order an OGTT.

Keep us posted.

NoExcuses

If your doc isn't willing to order an OGTT (and i don't know why not... it doesn't cost him money... you should really question what type of doc you are seeing if he's not willing to order tests), then go to a Endo.

Your daughter is counting on you to be her advocate and to be as proactive about her care as possible.

You need to either really grill your CF doc about why in the world he has a problem with an OGTT, or pick up the phone and make an apt with an Endo who for sure will order an OGTT.

Keep us posted.

NoExcuses

Keep us posted.

NoExcuses

Keep us posted.

NoExcuses

Keep us posted.

NoExcuses

Keep us posted.

Sakem

Your doc prob does not see a need for the OGTT, because he is educated enough to know that a random glucose of 120 is not out of normal range. It can be in the mid 100s. It is dependent on what your child ate, prior to having blood drawn. Plus if there are no other symptoms, I would feel that it is normal.....does she have an excessive thirst or extreme fatigue, or not gaining weight? If not, then I would feel pretty confident, that 120 is an well within her normal range. But it is something for you to keep an eye on, and when she is a little older they will start doing OGTTs with aniversery visits.

Sakem

Your doc prob does not see a need for the OGTT, because he is educated enough to know that a random glucose of 120 is not out of normal range. It can be in the mid 100s. It is dependent on what your child ate, prior to having blood drawn. Plus if there are no other symptoms, I would feel that it is normal.....does she have an excessive thirst or extreme fatigue, or not gaining weight? If not, then I would feel pretty confident, that 120 is an well within her normal range. But it is something for you to keep an eye on, and when she is a little older they will start doing OGTTs with aniversery visits.

Sakem

Sakem

Sakem

Sakem

ktsmom

The doc is focused on classic CFRD, which he doesn't think she has, and I don't either, and I agree that the casual blood glucose was normal. If you think of the spectrum from normal to CFRD, there are other glucose tolerance disorders in the middle, and from what I'm reading doctors here in the US are not in agreement that those should even be treated. These disorders that are not quite the "classic" CFRD can only be picked up by an OGTT. They won't be picked up by fasting or casual blood glucose tests.

I'm still watching my kid closely and if I get concerned enough, don't worry, I'll demand that someone does something! Thanks everyone for your input.

ktsmom

The doc is focused on classic CFRD, which he doesn't think she has, and I don't either, and I agree that the casual blood glucose was normal. If you think of the spectrum from normal to CFRD, there are other glucose tolerance disorders in the middle, and from what I'm reading doctors here in the US are not in agreement that those should even be treated. These disorders that are not quite the "classic" CFRD can only be picked up by an OGTT. They won't be picked up by fasting or casual blood glucose tests.

I'm still watching my kid closely and if I get concerned enough, don't worry, I'll demand that someone does something! Thanks everyone for your input.

ktsmom

ktsmom