Chest pains in 8 year old

pnhuffman

Austin was in the ER over the weekend with a temp of 101 and stabbing pains in his chest and back. He was crying that it hurt so bad. He also complained he was freezing.

He asked for his treatments which he never does unless he is sick.

My thing is the ER doc ordered a chest x-ray which came out fine. He did not look at anything else just asked him where he hurt and listened to his chest.

I suggested they check him for the flu which was also negative. He was still running a temp of 101-102 and basically was told "Well he is obviously coming down with something but i don't know what"

I called his cf clinic and gave them the update. The Cf doc placed him on Augmentin for 10 days and said to call back if not any better.

Well Austin is still having that pain in his chest when he breathes. He doesn't have a cough but when he does cough it sounds hoarse. He also is still complaining of his arm hurting from his flu shot which he got on the 18th.

I just don't know what to do. I put another call into the clinic and waiting for them to call back. I guess what is bothering me is not knowing what is wrong with him and feeling like I am overreacting. I guess I just want them to look at him and say hey he is doing fine.

pnhuffman

Austin was in the ER over the weekend with a temp of 101 and stabbing pains in his chest and back. He was crying that it hurt so bad. He also complained he was freezing.

My thing is the ER doc ordered a chest x-ray which came out fine. He did not look at anything else just asked him where he hurt and listened to his chest.

I suggested they check him for the flu which was also negative. He was still running a temp of 101-102 and basically was told "Well he is obviously coming down with something but i don't know what"

I called his cf clinic and gave them the update. The Cf doc placed him on Augmentin for 10 days and said to call back if not any better.

Well Austin is still having that pain in his chest when he breathes. He doesn't have a cough but when he does cough it sounds hoarse. He also is still complaining of his arm hurting from his flu shot which he got on the 18th.

I just don't know what to do. I put another call into the clinic and waiting for them to call back. I guess what is bothering me is not knowing what is wrong with him and feeling like I am overreacting. I guess I just want them to look at him and say hey he is doing fine.

pnhuffman

pnhuffman

pnhuffman

<br />
<br />He asked for his treatments which he never does unless he is sick.
<br />
<br />My thing is the ER doc ordered a chest x-ray which came out fine. He did not look at anything else just asked him where he hurt and listened to his chest.
<br />
<br />I suggested they check him for the flu which was also negative. He was still running a temp of 101-102 and basically was told "Well he is obviously coming down with something but i don't know what"
<br />
<br />I called his cf clinic and gave them the update. The Cf doc placed him on Augmentin for 10 days and said to call back if not any better.
<br />
<br />Well Austin is still having that pain in his chest when he breathes. He doesn't have a cough but when he does cough it sounds hoarse. He also is still complaining of his arm hurting from his flu shot which he got on the 18th.
<br />
<br />
<br />I just don't know what to do. I put another call into the clinic and waiting for them to call back. I guess what is bothering me is not knowing what is wrong with him and feeling like I am overreacting. I guess I just want them to look at him and say hey he is doing fine.

ktsmom

IMHO you are not overreacting. Trust your instincts and make them find out what is really going on. Nothing sounds right about this to me. Please keep us posted.

ktsmom

IMHO you are not overreacting. Trust your instincts and make them find out what is really going on. Nothing sounds right about this to me. Please keep us posted.

ktsmom

ktsmom

ktsmom

JORDYSMOM

I know you've considered pleuresy, but do you think maybe he could have pulled a muscle coughing? I've heard others say that when they get a plug there's pain. You'd think that would show on an x-ray, but I suppose one could be hiding in there.

I'm really sorry Austin is still hurting. I think the clinic should check him out.

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

I know you've considered pleuresy, but do you think maybe he could have pulled a muscle coughing? I've heard others say that when they get a plug there's pain. You'd think that would show on an x-ray, but I suppose one could be hiding in there.

I'm really sorry Austin is still hurting. I think the clinic should check him out.

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

<br />
<br />I'm really sorry Austin is still hurting. I think the clinic should check him out.
<br />
<br />Stacey

T

TonyaH

Andrew has had pain with plugs a number of times. The pain is so severe that I really worry that it's something more. I would follow your instinct, too, because you never know if it's "just a plug". I've been there, too, curled up on the floor with him because it hurts to take a full breath, wondering if we should head to the ER. Those are the things about CF that most people never see. Hang in there, and keep us posted.

T

TonyaH

Andrew has had pain with plugs a number of times. The pain is so severe that I really worry that it's something more. I would follow your instinct, too, because you never know if it's "just a plug". I've been there, too, curled up on the floor with him because it hurts to take a full breath, wondering if we should head to the ER. Those are the things about CF that most people never see. Hang in there, and keep us posted.

T

TonyaH

T

TonyaH

T

TonyaH