Cleaning out nebulizer cups

ladybug

Just FYI. This does have a disclaimer at the beginning that you should check with your CF doc to see the proper was to disinfect if you have CF. So, these directions may or may not pertain to us:

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.tipmedia.com/sourcecf/pdf/eflow_cleaning.pdf">http://www.tipmedia.com/sourcecf/pdf/eflow_cleaning.pdf</a>

ladybug

Just FYI. This does have a disclaimer at the beginning that you should check with your CF doc to see the proper was to disinfect if you have CF. So, these directions may or may not pertain to us:

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.tipmedia.com/sourcecf/pdf/eflow_cleaning.pdf">http://www.tipmedia.com/sourcecf/pdf/eflow_cleaning.pdf</a>

ladybug

ladybug

ladybug

<br />
<br /><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.tipmedia.com/sourcecf/pdf/eflow_cleaning.pdf">http://www.tipmedia.com/sourcecf/pdf/eflow_cleaning.pdf</a>

saveferris2009

ya the PARI people have very different cleaning instructions for their traditional nebs (LC Plus, etc) than what the CFF says to do. their cleaning instructions seemed to be geared towards their main customers, asthmatics...

so i'm not surprised it's the same case with the eFlow products, since they're both made by PARI.

saveferris2009

ya the PARI people have very different cleaning instructions for their traditional nebs (LC Plus, etc) than what the CFF says to do. their cleaning instructions seemed to be geared towards their main customers, asthmatics...

so i'm not surprised it's the same case with the eFlow products, since they're both made by PARI.

saveferris2009

saveferris2009

saveferris2009

<br />
<br />so i'm not surprised it's the same case with the eFlow products, since they're both made by PARI.

just1more

Ok, I'm feeling onery today so I'm going to play devils advocate (and yes we sterilze our equipment including our e-flow before you ask):

Has anyone ever seen a confirmed, or "PHYSICAN-suspected" case of infection in a CF'r caused by a non-sterile nebulizer cup at home?

Just curious what the real risk is. Given that the only germs on a neb cup sitting on your counter came from your lungs or from your home; thus I would assume that you most likely already have them......so what is the true risk?

just1more

Ok, I'm feeling onery today so I'm going to play devils advocate (and yes we sterilze our equipment including our e-flow before you ask):

Has anyone ever seen a confirmed, or "PHYSICAN-suspected" case of infection in a CF'r caused by a non-sterile nebulizer cup at home?

Just curious what the real risk is. Given that the only germs on a neb cup sitting on your counter came from your lungs or from your home; thus I would assume that you most likely already have them......so what is the true risk?

just1more

just1more

just1more

<br />
<br />Has anyone ever seen a confirmed, or "PHYSICAN-suspected" case of infection in a CF'r caused by a non-sterile nebulizer cup at home?
<br />
<br />Just curious what the real risk is. Given that the only germs on a neb cup sitting on your counter came from your lungs or from your home; thus I would assume that you most likely already have them......so what is the true risk?

marisalynn

In response to the question of how important it is to sanitize our nebs, I believe that there are many bacteria that can be passed to us because of improper sanitizing, not that I am the best at sanitizing (trust me, I am not). One thing that comes to mind in particular is if there are multiple CFer's in the same household and their nebs are stored in the same area, as with my brother and I when we were younger. At that time, we just used the vinegar and water method of sanitizing, and I wonder if my brother and I would not both have some of the bacteria we have if we had been properly sanitizing our nebs. But then again, who knows?

I also was wondering how some of you might have gotten your eFlows. I have researched it, and it seems pretty neat. Is it expensive? Just curious. Thanks

Marisa, 21 with CF

marisalynn

In response to the question of how important it is to sanitize our nebs, I believe that there are many bacteria that can be passed to us because of improper sanitizing, not that I am the best at sanitizing (trust me, I am not). One thing that comes to mind in particular is if there are multiple CFer's in the same household and their nebs are stored in the same area, as with my brother and I when we were younger. At that time, we just used the vinegar and water method of sanitizing, and I wonder if my brother and I would not both have some of the bacteria we have if we had been properly sanitizing our nebs. But then again, who knows?

I also was wondering how some of you might have gotten your eFlows. I have researched it, and it seems pretty neat. Is it expensive? Just curious. Thanks

Marisa, 21 with CF

marisalynn

Marisa, 21 with CF

marisalynn

Marisa, 21 with CF

marisalynn

<br />
<br />I also was wondering how some of you might have gotten your eFlows. I have researched it, and it seems pretty neat. Is it expensive? Just curious. Thanks
<br />
<br />Marisa, 21 with CF