Cleaning out nebulizer cups

jdubbs

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>saveferris2009</b></i>

1. Disinfecting nebs also prevents molds, etc. in addition to bacteria. ask people with ABPA - it's NOT fun.

The other issue is how bacteria grow and interact with each other outside of the body. We all know (or should) that bacteria can mutate and become more virulent by sharing genes - who wants to give them an opportunity to do so not only in our lungs but also outside our body? PA survives on surfaces for 3+ days...

If you're going to spend 2+ hrs every day doing your treatments properly, it's a huge waste of time in my opinion to use dirty nebs where you could be introducing new bacteria or adding to the bacterial count (remember: you may have PA in your lower right lobe, but upon nebbbing with a PA-ridden neb cup, you introduce PA to your upper left lobe... congrats! you now have MORE lung area in which permanent lung damange can occur).

2. Details on how to get an eFLow are on the eFlow section of my blog. You don't have to be in a clinical trial to get one.</end quote></div>

jdubbs

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>saveferris2009</b></i>

1. Disinfecting nebs also prevents molds, etc. in addition to bacteria. ask people with ABPA - it's NOT fun.

The other issue is how bacteria grow and interact with each other outside of the body. We all know (or should) that bacteria can mutate and become more virulent by sharing genes - who wants to give them an opportunity to do so not only in our lungs but also outside our body? PA survives on surfaces for 3+ days...

If you're going to spend 2+ hrs every day doing your treatments properly, it's a huge waste of time in my opinion to use dirty nebs where you could be introducing new bacteria or adding to the bacterial count (remember: you may have PA in your lower right lobe, but upon nebbbing with a PA-ridden neb cup, you introduce PA to your upper left lobe... congrats! you now have MORE lung area in which permanent lung damange can occur).

2. Details on how to get an eFLow are on the eFlow section of my blog. You don't have to be in a clinical trial to get one.</end quote></div>

jdubbs

jdubbs

2. Details on how to get an eFLow are on the eFlow section of my blog. You don't have to be in a clinical trial to get one.</end quote>

jdubbs

<br />
<br />1. Disinfecting nebs also prevents molds, etc. in addition to bacteria. ask people with ABPA - it's NOT fun.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />The other issue is how bacteria grow and interact with each other outside of the body. We all know (or should) that bacteria can mutate and become more virulent by sharing genes - who wants to give them an opportunity to do so not only in our lungs but also outside our body? PA survives on surfaces for 3+ days...
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />If you're going to spend 2+ hrs every day doing your treatments properly, it's a huge waste of time in my opinion to use dirty nebs where you could be introducing new bacteria or adding to the bacterial count (remember: you may have PA in your lower right lobe, but upon nebbbing with a PA-ridden neb cup, you introduce PA to your upper left lobe... congrats! you now have MORE lung area in which permanent lung damange can occur).
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />2. Details on how to get an eFLow are on the eFlow section of my blog. You don't have to be in a clinical trial to get one.</end quote>
<br />
<br />

just1more

Ok, but Amy you didn't answer my question.

I fully understand the theoretical risks. BUT I am curious if ANYONE has ever actually had this occur.

As I said, we clean and sterilize our equipment, and I'm not suggesting people stop. I'm not risking it with the 1:1000 risk even if not proven.

However, given the number of threads that exists on this site about cleaning equipment, and the time and devotion some put into the process (or lack of devotion) I think it is a fair question if there is a benefit outside of theory???

just1more

I fully understand the theoretical risks. BUT I am curious if ANYONE has ever actually had this occur.

As I said, we clean and sterilize our equipment, and I'm not suggesting people stop. I'm not risking it with the 1:1000 risk even if not proven.

However, given the number of threads that exists on this site about cleaning equipment, and the time and devotion some put into the process (or lack of devotion) I think it is a fair question if there is a benefit outside of theory???

just1more

just1more

just1more

<br />
<br />I fully understand the theoretical risks. BUT I am curious if ANYONE has ever actually had this occur.
<br />
<br />As I said, we clean and sterilize our equipment, and I'm not suggesting people stop. I'm not risking it with the 1:1000 risk even if not proven.
<br />
<br />However, given the number of threads that exists on this site about cleaning equipment, and the time and devotion some put into the process (or lack of devotion) I think it is a fair question if there is a benefit outside of theory???

jdubbs

I'd like to see some evidence too, but I don't think we're going to get any. It seems unlikely that they could point to the neb as the culprit unless you brought in the contaminated neb for them to compare. I'm not sure tho. A clinical trial would be unethical, and retrospective epidemiology studies are prone to confounding. I think we're left with a big unknown.

jdubbs

I'd like to see some evidence too, but I don't think we're going to get any. It seems unlikely that they could point to the neb as the culprit unless you brought in the contaminated neb for them to compare. I'm not sure tho. A clinical trial would be unethical, and retrospective epidemiology studies are prone to confounding. I think we're left with a big unknown.

jdubbs

jdubbs

jdubbs