Colistin Alert

Jem

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.cff.org/aboutCFFoundation/NewsEvents/index.cfm?ID=6768&TYPE=1670">CFF article on Colistin alert</a>

Foundation Issues A Safety Alert Regarding Premixed Colistin

June 12, 2007

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is investigating a recent patient death as possibly being related to inhaled colistin (also known as colistimethate or Coly-Mycin), which was premixed by a mail-order pharmacy. Colistin is an antibiotic that may be inhaled to treat infections of the lungs.

The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation recommends that patients not use colistin that has been premixed by a pharmacy until the FDA investigation is complete and the safety of this product is established.

We understand that this may be an inconvenience for patients using premixed colistin, but patient safety is our primary concern. To be clear, we are not advising against the use of colistin when premixed by the patient immediately prior to use.

Patients and their families should contact their CF care center for more information and with questions/concerns regarding this or any other treatment.

Jem

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.cff.org/aboutCFFoundation/NewsEvents/index.cfm?ID=6768&TYPE=1670">CFF article on Colistin alert</a>

June 12, 2007

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is investigating a recent patient death as possibly being related to inhaled colistin (also known as colistimethate or Coly-Mycin), which was premixed by a mail-order pharmacy. Colistin is an antibiotic that may be inhaled to treat infections of the lungs.

The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation recommends that patients not use colistin that has been premixed by a pharmacy until the FDA investigation is complete and the safety of this product is established.

We understand that this may be an inconvenience for patients using premixed colistin, but patient safety is our primary concern. To be clear, we are not advising against the use of colistin when premixed by the patient immediately prior to use.

Patients and their families should contact their CF care center for more information and with questions/concerns regarding this or any other treatment.

Jem

June 12, 2007

Jem

June 12, 2007

jfarel

I was under the impression that it needed to be room temperature when added to the eflow nebuliser. I always refrigerate and take it out prior to putting it in the eflow. Bad idea?

jfarel

I was under the impression that it needed to be room temperature when added to the eflow nebuliser. I always refrigerate and take it out prior to putting it in the eflow. Bad idea?

jfarel

jfarel

jfarel

jfarel

Emily65Roses

I put it in my neb right after taking it out of the fridge. I don't know that that's the ONLY way or the RIGHT way, but it's the way I do it. *shrug*

Emily65Roses

I put it in my neb right after taking it out of the fridge. I don't know that that's the ONLY way or the RIGHT way, but it's the way I do it. *shrug*

Emily65Roses

Emily65Roses

Emily65Roses

Emily65Roses

respman

It has to stay refidgerated until use. It's okay to use cold. Warming to room tempurature right before you use it won't increase the hydrolysis significantly, but the longer it is out the worse it will be. It is always safer to use right from the fridge.

Jim D BS, RRT

respman

It has to stay refidgerated until use. It's okay to use cold. Warming to room tempurature right before you use it won't increase the hydrolysis significantly, but the longer it is out the worse it will be. It is always safer to use right from the fridge.

Jim D BS, RRT

respman

Jim D BS, RRT

respman

Jim D BS, RRT