Compressors

cdale613

So, the recent topic about people's bad experiences with the Ultra II has got me thinking. I was glad to see that I wasn't the only one hating their ultra II, and I think it deserves more discussion. My comments aren't Pari specific... I think that virtually all the manufacturers out there are doing the same thing these days...

It seems that over the last 10 years, the overwhelming emphasis in compressor development has been
1) light weight and 2) smaller size.

I remember my first compressor... it was made by devilbiss, and was a big clunky boxy thing. I forget the model name, but it lasted literally 6 years before it fell off of a table or something, and cracked and broke.

It was replaced by a devilbiss pulmomate which lasted about 4 years. It was about half the size of compressor #1, and did a good job. It was followed by a pulmoaide which weighed significantly less than the pulmomate, and was more compact. My pulmoaide was not nearly as long lasting as its predecessors.

Since the pulmoaide, I have had a series of Pari Ultra Nebs (I and II). They are amazingly light and compact, great for travel, etc. However, they have only been lasting me about 6-12 months. They start out fine, but after a few months, begin to push less and less air, and my treatment length increases. My current ultra II is not longer misting my meds, and the replacement ultra II (which is all my supplier carries) is on the way. I won't even go into what a waste the Trek is.

I realize that MOST of the people who use compressors are not CF patients. I bet most sales of compressors go to people with COPD/emphysema/asthma, who neb albuterol a couple times a day (or less) for a few minutes. The compact, lightweight, portable compressor is great for them.

But for people with CF, the usual routine entails running the compressor for 2-3 hours a day, or more, every day (assuming full compliance, etc). Drugs are being added (HTS for example), that in affect doubled the amount of time compressors were being run. The lightweight, compact compressors that are being given us by medical supply companies are not being built to take that kind of day-in and day-out wear. Moreover, our insurers (assuming we have health insurance) will often only pay for one compressor every 2-3 years!!

There needs to be a step back to producing larger, more powerful compressors that are built for heavy usage. The ultra II is perfect as a part-time compressor, for vacations, etc, but isn't really cutting it for everyday use.

Rant over.

Any thoughts??

Resuming rant with actionable solution:

I'm getting sick of buying temporary compressors that don't last. I'm thinking of stepping up and buying one of these:

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.specialty-medical.com/INVIRC607.html
">http://www.specialty-medical.com/INVIRC607.html
</a>

Has anyone used one of these?? It seems like a tank... which is exactly what I want.

Re-rant over.

Chris

27 m w/cf

cdale613

So, the recent topic about people's bad experiences with the Ultra II has got me thinking. I was glad to see that I wasn't the only one hating their ultra II, and I think it deserves more discussion. My comments aren't Pari specific... I think that virtually all the manufacturers out there are doing the same thing these days...

It seems that over the last 10 years, the overwhelming emphasis in compressor development has been

I remember my first compressor... it was made by devilbiss, and was a big clunky boxy thing. I forget the model name, but it lasted literally 6 years before it fell off of a table or something, and cracked and broke.

It was replaced by a devilbiss pulmomate which lasted about 4 years. It was about half the size of compressor #1, and did a good job. It was followed by a pulmoaide which weighed significantly less than the pulmomate, and was more compact. My pulmoaide was not nearly as long lasting as its predecessors.

Since the pulmoaide, I have had a series of Pari Ultra Nebs (I and II). They are amazingly light and compact, great for travel, etc. However, they have only been lasting me about 6-12 months. They start out fine, but after a few months, begin to push less and less air, and my treatment length increases. My current ultra II is not longer misting my meds, and the replacement ultra II (which is all my supplier carries) is on the way. I won't even go into what a waste the Trek is.

I realize that MOST of the people who use compressors are not CF patients. I bet most sales of compressors go to people with COPD/emphysema/asthma, who neb albuterol a couple times a day (or less) for a few minutes. The compact, lightweight, portable compressor is great for them.

But for people with CF, the usual routine entails running the compressor for 2-3 hours a day, or more, every day (assuming full compliance, etc). Drugs are being added (HTS for example), that in affect doubled the amount of time compressors were being run. The lightweight, compact compressors that are being given us by medical supply companies are not being built to take that kind of day-in and day-out wear. Moreover, our insurers (assuming we have health insurance) will often only pay for one compressor every 2-3 years!!

There needs to be a step back to producing larger, more powerful compressors that are built for heavy usage. The ultra II is perfect as a part-time compressor, for vacations, etc, but isn't really cutting it for everyday use.

Rant over.

Any thoughts??

I'm getting sick of buying temporary compressors that don't last. I'm thinking of stepping up and buying one of these:

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.specialty-medical.com/INVIRC607.html
</a>

Has anyone used one of these?? It seems like a tank... which is exactly what I want.

Re-rant over.

Chris

27 m w/cf

cdale613

Rant over.

Any thoughts??

</a>

Re-rant over.

Chris

27 m w/cf

cdale613

Rant over.

Any thoughts??

</a>

Re-rant over.

Chris

27 m w/cf

cdale613

<br />
<br />It seems that over the last 10 years, the overwhelming emphasis in compressor development has been
<br />1) light weight and 2) smaller size.
<br />
<br />I remember my first compressor... it was made by devilbiss, and was a big clunky boxy thing. I forget the model name, but it lasted literally 6 years before it fell off of a table or something, and cracked and broke.
<br />
<br />It was replaced by a devilbiss pulmomate which lasted about 4 years. It was about half the size of compressor #1, and did a good job. It was followed by a pulmoaide which weighed significantly less than the pulmomate, and was more compact. My pulmoaide was not nearly as long lasting as its predecessors.
<br />
<br />Since the pulmoaide, I have had a series of Pari Ultra Nebs (I and II). They are amazingly light and compact, great for travel, etc. However, they have only been lasting me about 6-12 months. They start out fine, but after a few months, begin to push less and less air, and my treatment length increases. My current ultra II is not longer misting my meds, and the replacement ultra II (which is all my supplier carries) is on the way. I won't even go into what a waste the Trek is.
<br />
<br />I realize that MOST of the people who use compressors are not CF patients. I bet most sales of compressors go to people with COPD/emphysema/asthma, who neb albuterol a couple times a day (or less) for a few minutes. The compact, lightweight, portable compressor is great for them.
<br />
<br />But for people with CF, the usual routine entails running the compressor for 2-3 hours a day, or more, every day (assuming full compliance, etc). Drugs are being added (HTS for example), that in affect doubled the amount of time compressors were being run. The lightweight, compact compressors that are being given us by medical supply companies are not being built to take that kind of day-in and day-out wear. Moreover, our insurers (assuming we have health insurance) will often only pay for one compressor every 2-3 years!!
<br />
<br />There needs to be a step back to producing larger, more powerful compressors that are built for heavy usage. The ultra II is perfect as a part-time compressor, for vacations, etc, but isn't really cutting it for everyday use.
<br />
<br />Rant over.
<br />
<br />Any thoughts??
<br />
<br />Resuming rant with actionable solution:
<br />
<br />I'm getting sick of buying temporary compressors that don't last. I'm thinking of stepping up and buying one of these:
<br />
<br /><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.specialty-medical.com/INVIRC607.html
<br />">http://www.specialty-medical.com/INVIRC607.html
<br /></a>
<br />
<br />Has anyone used one of these?? It seems like a tank... which is exactly what I want.
<br />
<br />Re-rant over.
<br />
<br />Chris
<br />
<br />27 m w/cf
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />

Chaggie

I have one of these, it kicks ass. It's quieter, and faster, but heavier. Definatly not easily portable, I've only had a few months so I don't know about the durability yet.

Chaggie

I have one of these, it kicks ass. It's quieter, and faster, but heavier. Definatly not easily portable, I've only had a few months so I don't know about the durability yet.

Chaggie

Chaggie

Chaggie

miesl

We have a "tank" compressor as well, which we picked up after burning out two SportNebs.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.medindustries.com/maxicompressor.htm">Compressor</a>

miesl

We have a "tank" compressor as well, which we picked up after burning out two SportNebs.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.medindustries.com/maxicompressor.htm">Compressor</a>

miesl

miesl

miesl

<br />
<br /><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.medindustries.com/maxicompressor.htm">Compressor</a>

jamie6girl

I totally agree with you. I remember my first compressor - I don't know what brand it was, but it was huge and it had a plastic turquoise blue color case. It was loud but my goodess, it was a work horse. I think my parents got it for me around 1980. <br><br>

One of my compressors broke in highschool and my mom broke out my original compressor. I started using it again, and it worked just like it did when I was little. I think this was back in like 1996 or something. I used this thing for a few years off and on whenever a compressor would break. I remember at some point, it fell, and the plastic case broke, and it was just a metal thing. It still worked! <br><br>

I think it finally conked out when I was like 21. RIP Old Compressor!

jamie6girl

I totally agree with you. I remember my first compressor - I don't know what brand it was, but it was huge and it had a plastic turquoise blue color case. It was loud but my goodess, it was a work horse. I think my parents got it for me around 1980. <br><br>

One of my compressors broke in highschool and my mom broke out my original compressor. I started using it again, and it worked just like it did when I was little. I think this was back in like 1996 or something. I used this thing for a few years off and on whenever a compressor would break. I remember at some point, it fell, and the plastic case broke, and it was just a metal thing. It still worked! <br><br>

jamie6girl

jamie6girl

jamie6girl