Confusion about sweat test vs. Ambry panel

Alyssa

a sweat test of 4 also sounds pretty low to me too -- most people that I've talked to with positive CF results but low sweat test numbers usually test out at least in the 20's and 30's. However..... <b>do you know if the 4 was an accurate result? </b>
Are you in the US?
Are you getting the sweat test at a Certified CF Center?

Yes, I agree these do sound like CF type symptoms so it's worth pursuing. A full genetic test would give you far better results but it is expensive and many doctors don't like to order them. Keep pushing for it and in the mean time get another sweat test either at the same location or a CFF clinic if you were not already at one.

Best wishes, and please keep us updated.

Alyssa

a sweat test of 4 also sounds pretty low to me too -- most people that I've talked to with positive CF results but low sweat test numbers usually test out at least in the 20's and 30's. However..... <b>do you know if the 4 was an accurate result? </b>
Are you in the US?

Yes, I agree these do sound like CF type symptoms so it's worth pursuing. A full genetic test would give you far better results but it is expensive and many doctors don't like to order them. Keep pushing for it and in the mean time get another sweat test either at the same location or a CFF clinic if you were not already at one.

Alyssa

Are you in the US?

Alyssa

Are you in the US?

azmom

Hi Katie, I hope that your son doesn't have CF. I wondered if you were able to get a geno-type test done yet or not. We had one done and Ambrey Genetics did it.
Usually the sweat test is pretty accurate. I know there can be false positives, but depending how many hospitals are in your community that can do the test, if you haven't already had the other genetics test done, possible could you have the sweat test re-done?
Usually anything over 60 (I think it's 60) is CF
it's good that you are ruling things out. If it's not CF, just keep doing what you are doing. Don't be afraid to question the doctors, and get other opinions if things don't seem to be getting figured out soon.
Is there possibly a chidlren's hospital in your state?
Let me know if there's anything I can do.
Lesli
www.contrerashome.us

azmom

Hi Katie, I hope that your son doesn't have CF. I wondered if you were able to get a geno-type test done yet or not. We had one done and Ambrey Genetics did it.
Usually the sweat test is pretty accurate. I know there can be false positives, but depending how many hospitals are in your community that can do the test, if you haven't already had the other genetics test done, possible could you have the sweat test re-done?
it's good that you are ruling things out. If it's not CF, just keep doing what you are doing. Don't be afraid to question the doctors, and get other opinions if things don't seem to be getting figured out soon.
Lesli
www.contrerashome.us

azmom

Lesli
www.contrerashome.us

azmom

Lesli
www.contrerashome.us

azmom

Lesli
www.contrerashome.us

azmom

Lesli
www.contrerashome.us

cherishthree

Most likely your child is negative with numbers that low. But , my two children both tested positive on ambry full screening but had very low sweat # when well. (13on ne arm 16 the other, when sick they go up to 60)

Kathy with Hannah 7 w/CF and Christopher 11 w/CF Emily 13 no CF

cherishthree

Most likely your child is negative with numbers that low. But , my two children both tested positive on ambry full screening but had very low sweat # when well. (13on ne arm 16 the other, when sick they go up to 60)

cherishthree

cherishthree

cherishthree

cherishthree

katie11

I'm not sure if the hospital where my son had his sweat test is a certified CF center or not. I live in VA. When I tried to look it up, I found that MCV is a Certified CF center, but St. Mary's hopsital was not listed. The problem is that a lot of their clinics over-lap, so I'm just not really sure. I did think that it was weird that they only tested one site. Everything I have read said that two samples would be taken. When I asked the lab technician she just looked at me like I was crazy.
I'm in a quandry because I know that my son's doctors already think I'm a nut-job. When calling with the results his pediatrician strongly indicated that this was a no question about it negative result, and that CF had been completely ruled out.
I guess I'll just wait until my son's next "episode" (high fever, wheezing, coughing, sinusitis, etc). Then I'll demand more answers.
Thanks to all who took the time to reply.

katie11

I'm not sure if the hospital where my son had his sweat test is a certified CF center or not. I live in VA. When I tried to look it up, I found that MCV is a Certified CF center, but St. Mary's hopsital was not listed. The problem is that a lot of their clinics over-lap, so I'm just not really sure. I did think that it was weird that they only tested one site. Everything I have read said that two samples would be taken. When I asked the lab technician she just looked at me like I was crazy.
I'm in a quandry because I know that my son's doctors already think I'm a nut-job. When calling with the results his pediatrician strongly indicated that this was a no question about it negative result, and that CF had been completely ruled out.
I guess I'll just wait until my son's next "episode" (high fever, wheezing, coughing, sinusitis, etc). Then I'll demand more answers.

katie11

katie11