Confusion about sweat test vs. Ambry panel

katie11

I'm not sure if the hospital where my son had his sweat test is a certified CF center or not. I live in VA. When I tried to look it up, I found that MCV is a Certified CF center, but St. Mary's hopsital was not listed. The problem is that a lot of their clinics over-lap, so I'm just not really sure. I did think that it was weird that they only tested one site. Everything I have read said that two samples would be taken. When I asked the lab technician she just looked at me like I was crazy.
I'm in a quandry because I know that my son's doctors already think I'm a nut-job. When calling with the results his pediatrician strongly indicated that this was a no question about it negative result, and that CF had been completely ruled out.
I guess I'll just wait until my son's next "episode" (high fever, wheezing, coughing, sinusitis, etc). Then I'll demand more answers.
Thanks to all who took the time to reply.

katie11

I'm not sure if the hospital where my son had his sweat test is a certified CF center or not. I live in VA. When I tried to look it up, I found that MCV is a Certified CF center, but St. Mary's hopsital was not listed. The problem is that a lot of their clinics over-lap, so I'm just not really sure. I did think that it was weird that they only tested one site. Everything I have read said that two samples would be taken. When I asked the lab technician she just looked at me like I was crazy.
I'm in a quandry because I know that my son's doctors already think I'm a nut-job. When calling with the results his pediatrician strongly indicated that this was a no question about it negative result, and that CF had been completely ruled out.
I guess I'll just wait until my son's next "episode" (high fever, wheezing, coughing, sinusitis, etc). Then I'll demand more answers.
Thanks to all who took the time to reply.

NoExcuses

I wouldn't wait.

Who cares what people think of you? It's your job to protect your child!!!!

<b> demand </b> a Full Panel Ambry genetic test. What do they care? they're not paying for it. and it's a simple blood test.

Call tomorrow and get it ordered. there's no reason not to

NoExcuses

I wouldn't wait.

<b> demand </b> a Full Panel Ambry genetic test. What do they care? they're not paying for it. and it's a simple blood test.

NoExcuses

I wouldn't wait.

NoExcuses

I wouldn't wait.

NoExcuses

I wouldn't wait.

NoExcuses

I wouldn't wait.

A

aqua8522

HI CHERISHTHREE , PLEASE EXPLAIN WHAT YOU MEAN THAT WHEN YOURS ARE SICK THE SWEAT TEST GO TO 60 . IS THAT BECAUSE OF A FEVER THEY DEHYDRATE. MY CHILD HAD 2 SWEAT TEST AND WERE 43/ 45 THEN 47/53. SHE HAD PANCREATITIST AT 16 . AND NOW HAS HAD A MUCUS PLUG IN THE SALIVARY GLAND AND MUCUS JUST DROPING OUT OF THE RECTUM AND PAIN IN STOMACH WHILE EATING. HOW EVER HER SPECIFIC GRAVITY OF HER URINE RUNS 1030 AND SHE IS TIRED BUT PUSHES TO GO . ANYWAY MY POINT IS I WONDER IF HER SWEAT TEST IS HIGH BECAUSE SHE IS DEHYDRATED. HER GENRTIC TEST HAS NOT COME BACK WITH A MUTAION YET. MINEE IS BEING DONE. AMBREY ISNT IN NORTH CAROLINA OR PA. SO WE WOULD HAVE TO PAY OUT OF POCKET WHICH I MIGHT. ANYWAY I WOULD APPRECIATE THE EXPLANATION.

A

aqua8522

HI CHERISHTHREE , PLEASE EXPLAIN WHAT YOU MEAN THAT WHEN YOURS ARE SICK THE SWEAT TEST GO TO 60 . IS THAT BECAUSE OF A FEVER THEY DEHYDRATE. MY CHILD HAD 2 SWEAT TEST AND WERE 43/ 45 THEN 47/53. SHE HAD PANCREATITIST AT 16 . AND NOW HAS HAD A MUCUS PLUG IN THE SALIVARY GLAND AND MUCUS JUST DROPING OUT OF THE RECTUM AND PAIN IN STOMACH WHILE EATING. HOW EVER HER SPECIFIC GRAVITY OF HER URINE RUNS 1030 AND SHE IS TIRED BUT PUSHES TO GO . ANYWAY MY POINT IS I WONDER IF HER SWEAT TEST IS HIGH BECAUSE SHE IS DEHYDRATED. HER GENRTIC TEST HAS NOT COME BACK WITH A MUTAION YET. MINEE IS BEING DONE. AMBREY ISNT IN NORTH CAROLINA OR PA. SO WE WOULD HAVE TO PAY OUT OF POCKET WHICH I MIGHT. ANYWAY I WOULD APPRECIATE THE EXPLANATION.

A

aqua8522

A

aqua8522

A

aqua8522

A

aqua8522

okok

I think the sweat test can be very useful diagnostically. As with many lab tests it does have flaws but genetic testing is not foolproof either. There are some situations in which a postive/borderline sweat test helps make a CF diagnosis despite the fact that genetic testing is inconclusive. It is very important that the sweat test is preformed properly in order for it to be accurate. Was the test preformed by an accreditted cf facility?

A sweat chloride of 4 is quite low but not is not physiologically impossible. The mean sweat chloride is something like 10 plus or minus 5.5. (around 15 plus or minus 5.5 for carriers) 10-5.5 is right around 4 so i don't think 4 is an abnormally low number.

If the sweat test was preformed by an accredited facility, then it is possible your child has a false negative result. This is usually due to protein malnourishment and swelling at the site of the sweat test. Your doctor can do labrotory testing to find out if your child is protein malnourished. In this case i strongly suggest that you seek genetic testing to confirm or rule out a diagnosis of CF.

It wouldn't hurt to get genetic testing anyway so there is really no reason not to pursue it. I do not think that the sweat test is out of date and primitive. As i said before it is very important that it is preformed properly though.

Dehydration actually depletes the body of sodium and chloride so in the case of dehydration i would expect the sweat chloride level to decrease. I think that dehydration might have to pretty severe to lower the sweat chloride level from a positve result to negative but i could be wrong about this. It is certainly possible that electrolyte depletion could cause false negative results.

I would NOT expect dehydration to raise sweat chloride levels though and have never read or heard of this happening.

Sorry it has taken a while for me to respond. I've been very busy and have not had much forum time.

Good luck and please let us know how things go!

okok

I think the sweat test can be very useful diagnostically. As with many lab tests it does have flaws but genetic testing is not foolproof either. There are some situations in which a postive/borderline sweat test helps make a CF diagnosis despite the fact that genetic testing is inconclusive. It is very important that the sweat test is preformed properly in order for it to be accurate. Was the test preformed by an accreditted cf facility?

A sweat chloride of 4 is quite low but not is not physiologically impossible. The mean sweat chloride is something like 10 plus or minus 5.5. (around 15 plus or minus 5.5 for carriers) 10-5.5 is right around 4 so i don't think 4 is an abnormally low number.

If the sweat test was preformed by an accredited facility, then it is possible your child has a false negative result. This is usually due to protein malnourishment and swelling at the site of the sweat test. Your doctor can do labrotory testing to find out if your child is protein malnourished. In this case i strongly suggest that you seek genetic testing to confirm or rule out a diagnosis of CF.

It wouldn't hurt to get genetic testing anyway so there is really no reason not to pursue it. I do not think that the sweat test is out of date and primitive. As i said before it is very important that it is preformed properly though.

Dehydration actually depletes the body of sodium and chloride so in the case of dehydration i would expect the sweat chloride level to decrease. I think that dehydration might have to pretty severe to lower the sweat chloride level from a positve result to negative but i could be wrong about this. It is certainly possible that electrolyte depletion could cause false negative results.

I would NOT expect dehydration to raise sweat chloride levels though and have never read or heard of this happening.

Sorry it has taken a while for me to respond. I've been very busy and have not had much forum time.

okok

okok

okok

okok