considering a feeding tube

luvluvluv

my son has been struggling with weight gain all of his 14 years, we have tried all the shakes, drinks, calorie powders, and so on. My family is of small size, my mom, sister, and grandmother are 4'11", my brother is 5'5", I am 5'3". As kids we were the scrawniest in the neighborhood. Yet the doctors say this has nothing to do with my sons size. I understand my sons BMI is of the utmost importance in his bodies ability to handle this disease and it is beyond frustrating these many years not to be able to find a way to help him increase his BMI. We are now considering a feeding tube that we have been told will not intervere with his current activities or activity level. We have been told that he will have to utilize this tube for many years, feedings given through the tube nightly for 6 to 10 hours per night. I would like to know what experiences others have had with the feeding tube, how it effects normal daily eating habits (my biggest fear is that he will stop eating during the day from being filled up at night, therefore not really getting the extra calories in the end), how it effects daily activities and so on.

luvluvluv

my son has been struggling with weight gain all of his 14 years, we have tried all the shakes, drinks, calorie powders, and so on. My family is of small size, my mom, sister, and grandmother are 4'11", my brother is 5'5", I am 5'3". As kids we were the scrawniest in the neighborhood. Yet the doctors say this has nothing to do with my sons size. I understand my sons BMI is of the utmost importance in his bodies ability to handle this disease and it is beyond frustrating these many years not to be able to find a way to help him increase his BMI. We are now considering a feeding tube that we have been told will not intervere with his current activities or activity level. We have been told that he will have to utilize this tube for many years, feedings given through the tube nightly for 6 to 10 hours per night. I would like to know what experiences others have had with the feeding tube, how it effects normal daily eating habits (my biggest fear is that he will stop eating during the day from being filled up at night, therefore not really getting the extra calories in the end), how it effects daily activities and so on.

luvluvluv

luvluvluv

luvluvluv

pjspiegle

My son is 14 and has a g-tube. He got his when he was 8. He vary rarely uses it anymore because he prefers not to at the momemt but is eating enough to sustain without it right now. He eats a 4th meal at 10:00 at night, normally a Hungry Man meal that has 1000+ calories. We have been doing a food log because he also has CFRD and we are looking into getting a insulin pump, anyways he is eating an average of 5000 calories a day.

Anyhow, the g-tube is such a good thing. I think it might be a little harder just getting it now at the age of 14 but I don't think there will be any regrets. It takes all the food fights out of the picture. If he doesn't feel like eating, you can just bolus an extra can or two. If he does not like the night feeds, which Nathan isn't found of, you can bolus cans throughout the day and before bed as well.

How does your son feel about it? If he would like, I am sure that Nathan would be happy to talk to him about it. Nathan has shown his to other patients getting them and to other CFer's who were just curious about them. Since they are the same age, they might be able to relate to one another.

I can tell you that the first few weeks won't be fun at all and that he will need to give it at least a 3 month trial period before he will be able to adjust to it.

I think they are a good thing, but I don't personally have one, and Nathan was much younger when he got his, which I believe made a difference.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

pjspiegle

My son is 14 and has a g-tube. He got his when he was 8. He vary rarely uses it anymore because he prefers not to at the momemt but is eating enough to sustain without it right now. He eats a 4th meal at 10:00 at night, normally a Hungry Man meal that has 1000+ calories. We have been doing a food log because he also has CFRD and we are looking into getting a insulin pump, anyways he is eating an average of 5000 calories a day.

Anyhow, the g-tube is such a good thing. I think it might be a little harder just getting it now at the age of 14 but I don't think there will be any regrets. It takes all the food fights out of the picture. If he doesn't feel like eating, you can just bolus an extra can or two. If he does not like the night feeds, which Nathan isn't found of, you can bolus cans throughout the day and before bed as well.

How does your son feel about it? If he would like, I am sure that Nathan would be happy to talk to him about it. Nathan has shown his to other patients getting them and to other CFer's who were just curious about them. Since they are the same age, they might be able to relate to one another.

I can tell you that the first few weeks won't be fun at all and that he will need to give it at least a 3 month trial period before he will be able to adjust to it.

I think they are a good thing, but I don't personally have one, and Nathan was much younger when he got his, which I believe made a difference.

pjspiegle

pjspiegle

pjspiegle

<br />
<br />Anyhow, the g-tube is such a good thing. I think it might be a little harder just getting it now at the age of 14 but I don't think there will be any regrets. It takes all the food fights out of the picture. If he doesn't feel like eating, you can just bolus an extra can or two. If he does not like the night feeds, which Nathan isn't found of, you can bolus cans throughout the day and before bed as well.
<br />
<br />How does your son feel about it? If he would like, I am sure that Nathan would be happy to talk to him about it. Nathan has shown his to other patients getting them and to other CFer's who were just curious about them. Since they are the same age, they might be able to relate to one another.
<br />
<br />I can tell you that the first few weeks won't be fun at all and that he will need to give it at least a 3 month trial period before he will be able to adjust to it.
<br />
<br />I think they are a good thing, but I don't personally have one, and Nathan was much younger when he got his, which I believe made a difference.
<br />
<br />Let me know if you have any specific questions.
<br />

luvluvluv

Thank you for replying. 5000 calories a day would be a dream come true to get into my son. How does having the tube effect his daily activities, especially in summer with all the sweating and swimming? My son and I have discussed it before but it seems like a last resort which we may need to do at this point. It would take away the stress of daily calorie counting and trying to constantly get him to eat. He is going on a school trip to DC this April and to S Carolina for a family vacation that we have not had since he was 2. He is very much looking forward to these trips so we thought we could get the tube after that. It is such an invasive thing to have to deal with daily especially if it doesn't work out. He has been on growth hormone for a year and half with very little resullts compared to others who due the shot. Sorry for the rambling, my questions are:
How does it effect daily activities?
Is it something he may need to where for life?
Does he ever feel over full? (we once were tying to get 4400 cals/day made him sick)
How long before you saw any results of weight gain?
Did it improve his pfts?

luvluvluv

Thank you for replying. 5000 calories a day would be a dream come true to get into my son. How does having the tube effect his daily activities, especially in summer with all the sweating and swimming? My son and I have discussed it before but it seems like a last resort which we may need to do at this point. It would take away the stress of daily calorie counting and trying to constantly get him to eat. He is going on a school trip to DC this April and to S Carolina for a family vacation that we have not had since he was 2. He is very much looking forward to these trips so we thought we could get the tube after that. It is such an invasive thing to have to deal with daily especially if it doesn't work out. He has been on growth hormone for a year and half with very little resullts compared to others who due the shot. Sorry for the rambling, my questions are:
Does he ever feel over full? (we once were tying to get 4400 cals/day made him sick)
Did it improve his pfts?

luvluvluv

Did it improve his pfts?

luvluvluv

Did it improve his pfts?

luvluvluv

<br />How does it effect daily activities?
<br />Is it something he may need to where for life?
<br />Does he ever feel over full? (we once were tying to get 4400 cals/day made him sick)
<br />How long before you saw any results of weight gain?
<br />Did it improve his pfts?

V

valigirl21

You haven't mentioned them so I'm wondering if he takes enzymes. My son was eight when we started his and they've made all the difference. We tried pediasure and high calorie foods and that just didn't cut it. It turned out he was pancreatic insufficient and is a healthy 50 lbs. now, up from 35lbs 4 mnths ago. So there's my 2 cents.

V

valigirl21

You haven't mentioned them so I'm wondering if he takes enzymes. My son was eight when we started his and they've made all the difference. We tried pediasure and high calorie foods and that just didn't cut it. It turned out he was pancreatic insufficient and is a healthy 50 lbs. now, up from 35lbs 4 mnths ago. So there's my 2 cents.

V

valigirl21

V

valigirl21

V

valigirl21