Daughter having pain when breathing

ReneeP

I'm wondering if anyone can help me with an odd symptom my daughter is having. To preface, she is 9 years old, DDF508, but very healthy. She has never had a lung infection but has had multiple sinus surgeries. She is a little underweight but not to an extreme.

Every once in a while she gets this odd pain when she breathes. It happens maybe 2 or 3 times a year. But today was the worst so far. We were sitting at the table eating about an hour ago when she started crying and saying she couldn't breathe. We initially thought she was choking but she said no. She said it's that pain that I get. She says she can't breathe deep at all or it hurts worse. She will take little tiny shallow breaths. It was only hurting in her left side (though she said it sometimes effects both).

We've mentioned this to the CF dr before but it's never happened while we were actually there so she's never seen it. The doctor really didn't seem to think much of it. But now it's beginning to scare me. She was almost hysterical saying she couldn't breathe today. She was really scared.

The pain typically lasts about an hour or so... She said that once she finally forces herself to take a really deep breathe it will start to go away but it hurts so bad to breathe deep that she can't stand to do it...

I'm really confused. Our doctor is 6 hours away so it's not like we can just drop by anytime. And we've made a few ER trips here locally and to be honest, I'd trust myself to make a better diagnosis than them. We've had some very negative experiences there.

Any ideas?

Thanks so much!

ReneeP

I'm wondering if anyone can help me with an odd symptom my daughter is having. To preface, she is 9 years old, DDF508, but very healthy. She has never had a lung infection but has had multiple sinus surgeries. She is a little underweight but not to an extreme.

Every once in a while she gets this odd pain when she breathes. It happens maybe 2 or 3 times a year. But today was the worst so far. We were sitting at the table eating about an hour ago when she started crying and saying she couldn't breathe. We initially thought she was choking but she said no. She said it's that pain that I get. She says she can't breathe deep at all or it hurts worse. She will take little tiny shallow breaths. It was only hurting in her left side (though she said it sometimes effects both).

We've mentioned this to the CF dr before but it's never happened while we were actually there so she's never seen it. The doctor really didn't seem to think much of it. But now it's beginning to scare me. She was almost hysterical saying she couldn't breathe today. She was really scared.

The pain typically lasts about an hour or so... She said that once she finally forces herself to take a really deep breathe it will start to go away but it hurts so bad to breathe deep that she can't stand to do it...

I'm really confused. Our doctor is 6 hours away so it's not like we can just drop by anytime. And we've made a few ER trips here locally and to be honest, I'd trust myself to make a better diagnosis than them. We've had some very negative experiences there.

Any ideas?

Thanks so much!

ReneeP

Any ideas?

Thanks so much!

ReneeP

Any ideas?

Thanks so much!

ReneeP

<br />
<br />Every once in a while she gets this odd pain when she breathes. It happens maybe 2 or 3 times a year. But today was the worst so far. We were sitting at the table eating about an hour ago when she started crying and saying she couldn't breathe. We initially thought she was choking but she said no. She said it's that pain that I get. She says she can't breathe deep at all or it hurts worse. She will take little tiny shallow breaths. It was only hurting in her left side (though she said it sometimes effects both).
<br />
<br />We've mentioned this to the CF dr before but it's never happened while we were actually there so she's never seen it. The doctor really didn't seem to think much of it. But now it's beginning to scare me. She was almost hysterical saying she couldn't breathe today. She was really scared.
<br />
<br />The pain typically lasts about an hour or so... She said that once she finally forces herself to take a really deep breathe it will start to go away but it hurts so bad to breathe deep that she can't stand to do it...
<br />
<br />I'm really confused. Our doctor is 6 hours away so it's not like we can just drop by anytime. And we've made a few ER trips here locally and to be honest, I'd trust myself to make a better diagnosis than them. We've had some very negative experiences there.
<br />
<br />Any ideas?
<br />
<br />Thanks so much!

ladybug

Hi, Renee!

Its odd you'd mention this today, as last night I had the same exact experience when I tried to breathe in... excruciating sharp pain in the upper part of one lung. It lasted about a half an hour during which I breathed very shallow and took lots of ibuprofren.

I have also had this pain maybe 4-5 times per year and it just "flares up" randomly... Like driving in the car, shopping, laying around.

I think I'd asked a similar question in the past and people thought it could be pleurisy, which I think has something to do with the scar tissue in our lungs rubbing together or something like that. I think there are CFers on this site who get this frequently and some even have to take pain medication.

I do hope you get some more clear responses as to what this may be, but just know your daughter is not alone in what she experienced...

ladybug

Hi, Renee!

Its odd you'd mention this today, as last night I had the same exact experience when I tried to breathe in... excruciating sharp pain in the upper part of one lung. It lasted about a half an hour during which I breathed very shallow and took lots of ibuprofren.

I have also had this pain maybe 4-5 times per year and it just "flares up" randomly... Like driving in the car, shopping, laying around.

I think I'd asked a similar question in the past and people thought it could be pleurisy, which I think has something to do with the scar tissue in our lungs rubbing together or something like that. I think there are CFers on this site who get this frequently and some even have to take pain medication.

I do hope you get some more clear responses as to what this may be, but just know your daughter is not alone in what she experienced...

ladybug

Hi, Renee!

ladybug

Hi, Renee!

ladybug

Hi, Renee!
<br />
<br />Its odd you'd mention this today, as last night I had the same exact experience when I tried to breathe in... excruciating sharp pain in the upper part of one lung. It lasted about a half an hour during which I breathed very shallow and took lots of ibuprofren.
<br />
<br />I have also had this pain maybe 4-5 times per year and it just "flares up" randomly... Like driving in the car, shopping, laying around.
<br />
<br />I think I'd asked a similar question in the past and people thought it could be pleurisy, which I think has something to do with the scar tissue in our lungs rubbing together or something like that. I think there are CFers on this site who get this frequently and some even have to take pain medication.
<br />
<br />I do hope you get some more clear responses as to what this may be, but just know your daughter is not alone in what she experienced...
<br />
<br />

mom2brooke

It sounds like pleuresy. My daughter had it about 2 years ago and it was very painful. She couldn't take a deep breath. It is an inflamation of the lining of the lungs if I remember correctly. I know that it is diagnosed by hearing the "rub" or by x-ray. There is not much you can do for it. I think we just took some anti-inflamatory medicine. It was very frustrating. I know that it took her almost a month for hers to completely go away. I hope this was a little help.

mom2brooke

It sounds like pleuresy. My daughter had it about 2 years ago and it was very painful. She couldn't take a deep breath. It is an inflamation of the lining of the lungs if I remember correctly. I know that it is diagnosed by hearing the "rub" or by x-ray. There is not much you can do for it. I think we just took some anti-inflamatory medicine. It was very frustrating. I know that it took her almost a month for hers to completely go away. I hope this was a little help.

mom2brooke

mom2brooke

mom2brooke

Mockingbird

It does sound like pleurisy. I think it will probably be a lot less scarier for her if she understands what it is.

Basically, there's a double lining, one layer covering the outside of the lungs and one layer covering the inside of the chest wall. Normally, they allow the lungs to expand and contract with no friction, like two layers of silk rubbing together. When they're inflamed, however, it's more like sandpaper rubbing together.

The pain kind of feels like the lungs are tearing apart or something, so it might be less scary to know that it's just an inflammation (like an indian rub-burn, if she's ever gotten one of those from her siblings-- it really hurts, but it goes away eventually).

Also, make sure the doctor has taken a chest x-ray, to make sure there's no pnemonia forming or anything. Pleurisy can cause fluid to collect in the lungs, and when pleurisy is getting worse in can be a sign of increased infection.

Mockingbird

It does sound like pleurisy. I think it will probably be a lot less scarier for her if she understands what it is.

Basically, there's a double lining, one layer covering the outside of the lungs and one layer covering the inside of the chest wall. Normally, they allow the lungs to expand and contract with no friction, like two layers of silk rubbing together. When they're inflamed, however, it's more like sandpaper rubbing together.

The pain kind of feels like the lungs are tearing apart or something, so it might be less scary to know that it's just an inflammation (like an indian rub-burn, if she's ever gotten one of those from her siblings-- it really hurts, but it goes away eventually).

Also, make sure the doctor has taken a chest x-ray, to make sure there's no pnemonia forming or anything. Pleurisy can cause fluid to collect in the lungs, and when pleurisy is getting worse in can be a sign of increased infection.

Mockingbird

Mockingbird

Mockingbird

<br />
<br />Basically, there's a double lining, one layer covering the outside of the lungs and one layer covering the inside of the chest wall. Normally, they allow the lungs to expand and contract with no friction, like two layers of silk rubbing together. When they're inflamed, however, it's more like sandpaper rubbing together.
<br />
<br />The pain kind of feels like the lungs are tearing apart or something, so it might be less scary to know that it's just an inflammation (like an indian rub-burn, if she's ever gotten one of those from her siblings-- it really hurts, but it goes away eventually).
<br />
<br />Also, make sure the doctor has taken a chest x-ray, to make sure there's no pnemonia forming or anything. Pleurisy can cause fluid to collect in the lungs, and when pleurisy is getting worse in can be a sign of increased infection.