Depression and Cystic Fibrosis

kswitch

interesting, lauren, when i go back through my writings i find that cf is absent from my earlier stuff. it didn't mainfest in my writing until recent years. perhaps i was in a kind of denial. i shall have to ponder this more....

as far as depression goes, i've never been dx, but i have highs and lows like most. i am easily excitable and over-emotional. sometimes i cry for no reason, other times i laugh unprovoked. i'm certain that if i were to see someone about it, i would come away with a dx and a new rx, which i don't want. my symptoms can be annoying, but they are not uncopable (?). infact, i rather enjoy the skewed perspective at times. i think

the dresden dolls best sum up my thoughts on the matter in a tune called "bad habit":

"And you might say it's self-indulgent
And you might say it's self-destructive
But, you see, it's more productive
Than if i were to be happy"

if my highs and lows were more severe, i would seek help, but inthe mean time, i feel that intervention may just complicate the matter.

kswitch

interesting, lauren, when i go back through my writings i find that cf is absent from my earlier stuff. it didn't mainfest in my writing until recent years. perhaps i was in a kind of denial. i shall have to ponder this more....

as far as depression goes, i've never been dx, but i have highs and lows like most. i am easily excitable and over-emotional. sometimes i cry for no reason, other times i laugh unprovoked. i'm certain that if i were to see someone about it, i would come away with a dx and a new rx, which i don't want. my symptoms can be annoying, but they are not uncopable (?). infact, i rather enjoy the skewed perspective at times. i think

the dresden dolls best sum up my thoughts on the matter in a tune called "bad habit":

if my highs and lows were more severe, i would seek help, but inthe mean time, i feel that intervention may just complicate the matter.

kswitch

kswitch

HBanana

I was never formally diagnosed with depression, mostly becuase i refuse to go to a psychologist, but i have struggled with suicidal thoughts. Ironically, is was mostly because i dwelled too much on the idea that i'm going to live half as long as my friends. I thougt that it wasn't worth going through the hell that is life only to hurt those i leave behind. The idea of being left out was also a factor. in fear of sounding like a freak, i'm sort of "socially stunted". i've done a lot of research, and most of your ability to react properly with other humans you learn in the first 5 years of your life. I think many people with CF (and other diseases that affect you during childhood) are sort of held back during this time of their life. at least i was... most of the first 10 years of my life was spent in the hospital, and in the first 5 years, its not like i could go play out side with the other kids, or go to pre-school. at least, it sounds like a good excuse for being a slight social outcast, right?? that coupled with the whole "i'm probably gonna die in the next 15 years" i'm pretty sure was the root of my depresion. I don't know exactly why your so interested in this... all i have to say is the one thing i regreat was not telling anyone, and not getting help, it was one of the worst things i've ever done by myself...

HBanana

I was never formally diagnosed with depression, mostly becuase i refuse to go to a psychologist, but i have struggled with suicidal thoughts. Ironically, is was mostly because i dwelled too much on the idea that i'm going to live half as long as my friends. I thougt that it wasn't worth going through the hell that is life only to hurt those i leave behind. The idea of being left out was also a factor. in fear of sounding like a freak, i'm sort of "socially stunted". i've done a lot of research, and most of your ability to react properly with other humans you learn in the first 5 years of your life. I think many people with CF (and other diseases that affect you during childhood) are sort of held back during this time of their life. at least i was... most of the first 10 years of my life was spent in the hospital, and in the first 5 years, its not like i could go play out side with the other kids, or go to pre-school. at least, it sounds like a good excuse for being a slight social outcast, right?? that coupled with the whole "i'm probably gonna die in the next 15 years" i'm pretty sure was the root of my depresion. I don't know exactly why your so interested in this... all i have to say is the one thing i regreat was not telling anyone, and not getting help, it was one of the worst things i've ever done by myself...

HBanana

HBanana

HBanana

HBanana

Wheezie

I was picked on a little bit when I was a kid, but since I wasn't diagnosed until I was 11, I don't think it had anything to do specifically with CF. I actually think most every kid gets picked on at some point or another. But even when people weren't overtly hating me, I still felt like an outcast. I never felt I quite "fit" with the rest of the group and that was from day one. I know a lot of pre-teens and teenagers go through that unsure period in their lives when they feel like they don't belong, but I remember feeling that way in first grade. Junior high was the worst for me though - I had just been diagnosed with CF and was starting a new school and really had no friends. It was pretty icky.

I have never been given a formal diagnosis of "depression" but I do take an antidepressant. I recently weaned myself off of it, and stayed off for almost 3 months (so I would know it was completely out of my system and to give my body time to readjust). I got a little moody when I first went off, but what I noticed most was a loss of motivation. I would just sit on the couch, with nothing else to do, but still not be able to get my butt up to get a treatment started. I wouldn't want to get out of bed..basically all the things you hear about as symptoms of depression - but I didn't really feel "sad", I just didn't feel anything really. So I put myself back on the antidepressant.

I don't like the idea of needing that drug to function normally - but I think of it now as part of my health care routine. Mental health plays a HUGE role in physical health. In fact, I think mental and emotional health might actually be MORE important than physical health, because if your mind is strong and healthy, your body will just naturally follow. You will do the things you need to do to stay healthy if your mind is at peace.

Wheezie

I was picked on a little bit when I was a kid, but since I wasn't diagnosed until I was 11, I don't think it had anything to do specifically with CF. I actually think most every kid gets picked on at some point or another. But even when people weren't overtly hating me, I still felt like an outcast. I never felt I quite "fit" with the rest of the group and that was from day one. I know a lot of pre-teens and teenagers go through that unsure period in their lives when they feel like they don't belong, but I remember feeling that way in first grade. Junior high was the worst for me though - I had just been diagnosed with CF and was starting a new school and really had no friends. It was pretty icky.

I have never been given a formal diagnosis of "depression" but I do take an antidepressant. I recently weaned myself off of it, and stayed off for almost 3 months (so I would know it was completely out of my system and to give my body time to readjust). I got a little moody when I first went off, but what I noticed most was a loss of motivation. I would just sit on the couch, with nothing else to do, but still not be able to get my butt up to get a treatment started. I wouldn't want to get out of bed..basically all the things you hear about as symptoms of depression - but I didn't really feel "sad", I just didn't feel anything really. So I put myself back on the antidepressant.

I don't like the idea of needing that drug to function normally - but I think of it now as part of my health care routine. Mental health plays a HUGE role in physical health. In fact, I think mental and emotional health might actually be MORE important than physical health, because if your mind is strong and healthy, your body will just naturally follow. You will do the things you need to do to stay healthy if your mind is at peace.

Wheezie

Wheezie

Wheezie

Wheezie

anonymous63

wen i had to go on steroids wen i was 11 one of me frends kept slaggin me cus i was so fat now im 19 in mint condition and hes a fat *****

tony
ireland

anonymous63

wen i had to go on steroids wen i was 11 one of me frends kept slaggin me cus i was so fat now im 19 in mint condition and hes a fat *****

tony
ireland

anonymous63

tony
ireland

anonymous63

tony
ireland