Depression and Cystic Fibrosis

Vampy

Have you ever been diagnosed with depression because of your cf. What i mean is, we have a diffrent childhood and diffrent ways we live life. I used to sit on the edge of my bed and cry because i wanted to go stay the night at a friends house, or just have a sleep over like the rest of the "normal" lil girls in my neighborhood. Or i would be really sad because i wouldnt allowed to be outside in the snow for my mothers fear of me getting sick. If i went out to eat, i always had to take alot of pills and people would stare at me. I couldnt participate much in activities in school because of my breathing. Kids were horrible to me, called me Tub Girl, Button Belly. They would say i was weird looking because of the shape of my body from my chest cavity being so ..thick or wide. I never made alot of friends. I was always picked last for games. One year i even had lime green bubble yum spit in my hair because this kid said he didnt like me because i was sick all the time. Many of these childhood memories was never good, leading of course to my depression.
Being sick all around takes a toll not only on us physically but also mentally. have you ever been told you were bi polar or manic depressant ? Do you think they could be linked to our cf? along with many other things from our past. I believe in my case...having cf and the need to be "normal" didnt help the matter any too.

tell me what you think
if you have any stories of being picked on or made fun of because of your cf or just being a plain outcast..feel free to share it. Its nice to know that im not lonely ya know?
Thanks for reading.

Vampy

Have you ever been diagnosed with depression because of your cf. What i mean is, we have a diffrent childhood and diffrent ways we live life. I used to sit on the edge of my bed and cry because i wanted to go stay the night at a friends house, or just have a sleep over like the rest of the "normal" lil girls in my neighborhood. Or i would be really sad because i wouldnt allowed to be outside in the snow for my mothers fear of me getting sick. If i went out to eat, i always had to take alot of pills and people would stare at me. I couldnt participate much in activities in school because of my breathing. Kids were horrible to me, called me Tub Girl, Button Belly. They would say i was weird looking because of the shape of my body from my chest cavity being so ..thick or wide. I never made alot of friends. I was always picked last for games. One year i even had lime green bubble yum spit in my hair because this kid said he didnt like me because i was sick all the time. Many of these childhood memories was never good, leading of course to my depression.
Being sick all around takes a toll not only on us physically but also mentally. have you ever been told you were bi polar or manic depressant ? Do you think they could be linked to our cf? along with many other things from our past. I believe in my case...having cf and the need to be "normal" didnt help the matter any too.

tell me what you think
if you have any stories of being picked on or made fun of because of your cf or just being a plain outcast..feel free to share it. Its nice to know that im not lonely ya know?
Thanks for reading.

Vampy

tell me what you think
Thanks for reading.

Vampy

tell me what you think
Thanks for reading.

Vampy

tell me what you think
Thanks for reading.

Vampy

tell me what you think
Thanks for reading.

JazzysMom

First let me emphasis that depression isnt just a CF thing as far as illnesses go. Its extremely common to deal with depression during health issues especially chronic ones. I am by no means an expert, but there are many members who have dealt with or are currently dealing with depression and a few with bi polar dx.

What I dont know is how much is influenced by CF itself. Lack of O2, chemical/nutrional imbalances & how much is a seperate pre disposition. There is also a different between acute depressive episodes and chronic depression. I know I have experienced acute episodes, but a couple of those had me scared when they lasted longer then the normal amount of time for me.

For me I cant say that what I dealt with in childhood had much to do with it because most of mine began in adulthood. Therefore it might have been hormonal also. Everyones copying mechanism & level is different. That is the important thing to know.

You are dealing with stressful situations right now. To try and analyze and of your past to see if it links to your current situation I dont think would be fair to yourself.

Everyone has a certain amount of bullying as a kid IMHO. CF might enhance that depending on things. I had very very few problems as a kid or an adult compared to many. I hate to say I tough skin because I dont know if I did or I just lucked out. I did have some bullying, but it wasnt usually connected to my CF.

I am glad that you are getting help for whatever you are dealing with. It will help you handle everything with your husband, Lucas and your health as well as make good decicions.

In the meantime know that we are hear to listen. I am hoping that a few of us who have more personal/direct/greater involvement with depression & bi polar will step up and give input.

JazzysMom

First let me emphasis that depression isnt just a CF thing as far as illnesses go. Its extremely common to deal with depression during health issues especially chronic ones. I am by no means an expert, but there are many members who have dealt with or are currently dealing with depression and a few with bi polar dx.

What I dont know is how much is influenced by CF itself. Lack of O2, chemical/nutrional imbalances & how much is a seperate pre disposition. There is also a different between acute depressive episodes and chronic depression. I know I have experienced acute episodes, but a couple of those had me scared when they lasted longer then the normal amount of time for me.

For me I cant say that what I dealt with in childhood had much to do with it because most of mine began in adulthood. Therefore it might have been hormonal also. Everyones copying mechanism & level is different. That is the important thing to know.

You are dealing with stressful situations right now. To try and analyze and of your past to see if it links to your current situation I dont think would be fair to yourself.

Everyone has a certain amount of bullying as a kid IMHO. CF might enhance that depending on things. I had very very few problems as a kid or an adult compared to many. I hate to say I tough skin because I dont know if I did or I just lucked out. I did have some bullying, but it wasnt usually connected to my CF.

I am glad that you are getting help for whatever you are dealing with. It will help you handle everything with your husband, Lucas and your health as well as make good decicions.

In the meantime know that we are hear to listen. I am hoping that a few of us who have more personal/direct/greater involvement with depression & bi polar will step up and give input.

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

lightNlife

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://understandingcysticfibrosis.blogspot.com/2007/06/vitamin-b-and-depression.html">Depression and Vitamin B and CF</a>

I read a couple of studies awhile back about depression and cystic fibrosis, and quality of life. One was about kids, the other about adults.

In the kids with CF and depression, more of them indicated that they felt like an outcast or that they had no hope for a future. This was interesting considering that sometimes kids are in a more mild stage of CF than adults who have had more complications.

The study about the adults showed that they felt they had a good quality of life and that they were hopeful for the future. Although they did have bouts of depression, they were generally better adjusted.

My theory is that kids with CF may experience more depressive thoughts because they have a limited ability to fully grasp and understand cystic fibrosis. It's all a lot of unknowns to them, and can be quite scary. They are also much more peer focused, and can easily be influenced by what their peers think of them.

Adults on the other hand are (or at least should be) better able to cope with the disease. As they learn more about it and how to manage it effectively, they have a greater sense of being in control. They may also have the presence of mind to notice when they are emotionally out of balance, and can ask for help; that help being in the form of treatment for depression.

For me personally, as I read my journals from when I was much younger, I see the words "I hate CF" on many pages. I felt like an outcast at times. I wanted to be noticed. I didn't want to be so scrawny. I wanted to develop at a faster (or normal) rate compared to what I was. Basically, I was a typical angst ridden teen who had no idea that life was about so much more.

In college my journal entries changed. I started focusing outward. I got closer to God. I prayed more. I had more peace about my life and about how to accomplish my goals in spite of CF. My later journals have a lot more of the "life is awesome" type of ideas written in them than ever before.

What was the change? I matured. I learned what mattered in life and how to make life matter.

As far as being diagnosed with depression, my diagnosis is manic-depression (bipolar). I'm not on antidepressants, but rather on a mood stabilizer as well as something for OCD. Manic depression runs in our family. I know chronic illness and depression can go together, but I don't really "blame" one condition on the other.

Two of the best books I've read that have helped me deal with mental disorder in a positive and constructive way are:
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.amazon.com/Undoing-Depression-Richard-OConnor/dp/0425166791/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-9968736-9240919?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1183615680&sr=1-1">Undoing Depression</a>
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Genes-Breaking-Chemical-Imbalances/dp/1589971965">Blue Genes</a>

Bother of those books were a tremendous help in getting me to realize that depression is just a glitch in how the brain works. It's not because of a lack of faith on my part, or a lack of optimism. It's a neurological and chemical imbalance that can be treated effectively. Medication works very well for me, and I only wish I had gotten over the stigma of needed professional intervention sooner.

lightNlife

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://understandingcysticfibrosis.blogspot.com/2007/06/vitamin-b-and-depression.html">Depression and Vitamin B and CF</a>

I read a couple of studies awhile back about depression and cystic fibrosis, and quality of life. One was about kids, the other about adults.

In the kids with CF and depression, more of them indicated that they felt like an outcast or that they had no hope for a future. This was interesting considering that sometimes kids are in a more mild stage of CF than adults who have had more complications.

The study about the adults showed that they felt they had a good quality of life and that they were hopeful for the future. Although they did have bouts of depression, they were generally better adjusted.

My theory is that kids with CF may experience more depressive thoughts because they have a limited ability to fully grasp and understand cystic fibrosis. It's all a lot of unknowns to them, and can be quite scary. They are also much more peer focused, and can easily be influenced by what their peers think of them.

Adults on the other hand are (or at least should be) better able to cope with the disease. As they learn more about it and how to manage it effectively, they have a greater sense of being in control. They may also have the presence of mind to notice when they are emotionally out of balance, and can ask for help; that help being in the form of treatment for depression.

For me personally, as I read my journals from when I was much younger, I see the words "I hate CF" on many pages. I felt like an outcast at times. I wanted to be noticed. I didn't want to be so scrawny. I wanted to develop at a faster (or normal) rate compared to what I was. Basically, I was a typical angst ridden teen who had no idea that life was about so much more.

In college my journal entries changed. I started focusing outward. I got closer to God. I prayed more. I had more peace about my life and about how to accomplish my goals in spite of CF. My later journals have a lot more of the "life is awesome" type of ideas written in them than ever before.

What was the change? I matured. I learned what mattered in life and how to make life matter.

As far as being diagnosed with depression, my diagnosis is manic-depression (bipolar). I'm not on antidepressants, but rather on a mood stabilizer as well as something for OCD. Manic depression runs in our family. I know chronic illness and depression can go together, but I don't really "blame" one condition on the other.

Two of the best books I've read that have helped me deal with mental disorder in a positive and constructive way are:
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.amazon.com/Undoing-Depression-Richard-OConnor/dp/0425166791/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-9968736-9240919?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1183615680&sr=1-1">Undoing Depression</a>
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Genes-Breaking-Chemical-Imbalances/dp/1589971965">Blue Genes</a>

Bother of those books were a tremendous help in getting me to realize that depression is just a glitch in how the brain works. It's not because of a lack of faith on my part, or a lack of optimism. It's a neurological and chemical imbalance that can be treated effectively. Medication works very well for me, and I only wish I had gotten over the stigma of needed professional intervention sooner.

lightNlife

lightNlife

lightNlife

lightNlife

kswitch

interesting, lauren, when i go back through my writings i find that cf is absent from my earlier stuff. it didn't mainfest in my writing until recent years. perhaps i was in a kind of denial. i shall have to ponder this more....

as far as depression goes, i've never been dx, but i have highs and lows like most. i am easily excitable and over-emotional. sometimes i cry for no reason, other times i laugh unprovoked. i'm certain that if i were to see someone about it, i would come away with a dx and a new rx, which i don't want. my symptoms can be annoying, but they are not uncopable (?). infact, i rather enjoy the skewed perspective at times. i think

the dresden dolls best sum up my thoughts on the matter in a tune called "bad habit":

"And you might say it's self-indulgent
And you might say it's self-destructive
But, you see, it's more productive
Than if i were to be happy"

if my highs and lows were more severe, i would seek help, but inthe mean time, i feel that intervention may just complicate the matter.

kswitch

interesting, lauren, when i go back through my writings i find that cf is absent from my earlier stuff. it didn't mainfest in my writing until recent years. perhaps i was in a kind of denial. i shall have to ponder this more....

as far as depression goes, i've never been dx, but i have highs and lows like most. i am easily excitable and over-emotional. sometimes i cry for no reason, other times i laugh unprovoked. i'm certain that if i were to see someone about it, i would come away with a dx and a new rx, which i don't want. my symptoms can be annoying, but they are not uncopable (?). infact, i rather enjoy the skewed perspective at times. i think

the dresden dolls best sum up my thoughts on the matter in a tune called "bad habit":

"And you might say it's self-indulgent
And you might say it's self-destructive
But, you see, it's more productive
Than if i were to be happy"

if my highs and lows were more severe, i would seek help, but inthe mean time, i feel that intervention may just complicate the matter.