diagnosis story

sarabeth87

I was diagnosed at 18 months old after my little brother was born. I wasn't really sick, but my brother was not gaining weight and they said he had "failure to thrive" They tested him for a lot of things and finally decided to test for CF (which my family hadn't even heard of). They also wanted to test me to be on the safe side. Of course we both had CF and the rest is history.

DjFunkyFife

here's my story, and i'm stickin to it:

at 14, i got sick... and that started a cough that never quit.... so after 4 years of going from doctor to doctor, i was finally diagnosed at 18.... those were some sucky years!!

DjFunkyFife

at 14, i got sick... and that started a cough that never quit.... so after 4 years of going from doctor to doctor, i was finally diagnosed at 18.... those were some sucky years!!

DjFunkyFife

DjFunkyFife

DjFunkyFife

65rosessamurai

I went through my childhood with a lot of digestion-related problems. I had gotten sick, colds, pneumonia, etc. quite frequent as well, and my mom and her mom kept saying there was something wrong, but everytime I was taken to a doctor, they kept saying different.
Then, finally, at about the age of 7 and a half, my younger sister was born, but she was born with some complications, which had a few nurses come by for post-trauma follow-ups. After my mom started talked with them about my sister, she started telling them about my problems. They took a look, poking me around here and there, then with a suspiscion of CF, had reffered me to their CF clinic at the Children's hospital. Myself, and my siblings were all tested with the sweat test, and I was the only one who passed it (or failed it, whichever suggests I was the only one with CF.)
(P.S. PepperKitty, that was a good and short description!! Wow!)

65rosessamurai

I went through my childhood with a lot of digestion-related problems. I had gotten sick, colds, pneumonia, etc. quite frequent as well, and my mom and her mom kept saying there was something wrong, but everytime I was taken to a doctor, they kept saying different.
Then, finally, at about the age of 7 and a half, my younger sister was born, but she was born with some complications, which had a few nurses come by for post-trauma follow-ups. After my mom started talked with them about my sister, she started telling them about my problems. They took a look, poking me around here and there, then with a suspiscion of CF, had reffered me to their CF clinic at the Children's hospital. Myself, and my siblings were all tested with the sweat test, and I was the only one who passed it (or failed it, whichever suggests I was the only one with CF.)

65rosessamurai

65rosessamurai

65rosessamurai

mamerth

When I was 15 years old and I wanted to take voice lessons. My teacher wouldn't start them until I got my adenoids checked (I sounded nasally). The nose doctor took a look up my nose and suggested to my mom that I needed to be tested for Cystic Fibrosis since I had horrible nasal polyps and a severe infection. I had two sweat tests (my pediatrician refused to believe the first test). Both indicated I had CF (rare mutation). Was then diagnosed with staph infections shortly after my diagnosis and a few years later PA.

As a kid I was tested for every illness under the sun except CF (not sure why). I had lots of colds/lung infections and struggled to gain weight. They attributed my weight problems to being very premature at birth.

mamerth

When I was 15 years old and I wanted to take voice lessons. My teacher wouldn't start them until I got my adenoids checked (I sounded nasally). The nose doctor took a look up my nose and suggested to my mom that I needed to be tested for Cystic Fibrosis since I had horrible nasal polyps and a severe infection. I had two sweat tests (my pediatrician refused to believe the first test). Both indicated I had CF (rare mutation). Was then diagnosed with staph infections shortly after my diagnosis and a few years later PA.

As a kid I was tested for every illness under the sun except CF (not sure why). I had lots of colds/lung infections and struggled to gain weight. They attributed my weight problems to being very premature at birth.

mamerth

mamerth

mamerth

bittyhorse23

I don't know too much just that I was diagnosed at age 5 after numerous "allergic reactions" to everything under the sun and a few hospitalizations. I could eat more than my dad (haha still can and he is a big man) and never gained weight. I was also always bloated, I looked like those malnurished kids you see on commercials for 3rd world countries. My stomach was HUGE! My mom took me to all the "good" hospitals in Philly because I coughed alot and finally it was our local peditrician who worked out of his home that said "she has CF she needs a sweat test". So I got one and there you have it.

bittyhorse23

I don't know too much just that I was diagnosed at age 5 after numerous "allergic reactions" to everything under the sun and a few hospitalizations. I could eat more than my dad (haha still can and he is a big man) and never gained weight. I was also always bloated, I looked like those malnurished kids you see on commercials for 3rd world countries. My stomach was HUGE! My mom took me to all the "good" hospitals in Philly because I coughed alot and finally it was our local peditrician who worked out of his home that said "she has CF she needs a sweat test". So I got one and there you have it.

bittyhorse23

bittyhorse23