do you know LONG BEACH MEMORIAL MED CTR ?

clinging2faith

I amg oing to be hospitalized on thursday, at such hospital, I've never been there before. I normally go to O.C.'s hospitals and going to the Long Beach one sort of scares me since I am not familiar with it.

Anybody been there to treat their c.f.?

I have a new doctor who seems very knowledgeable but nevertheless Im scared.
I dont want mishaps (as i've had them in the past in other hospitals).

I am in so much pain all the time, and what's worse? I knew a life before c.f. was diagnozed and took over my life.

I dont want to go to hospitals anymore but i see i have no choice.

Has anybody been at this Long Beach hospital iwth succesful results?

clinging2faith

I amg oing to be hospitalized on thursday, at such hospital, I've never been there before. I normally go to O.C.'s hospitals and going to the Long Beach one sort of scares me since I am not familiar with it.

I am in so much pain all the time, and what's worse? I knew a life before c.f. was diagnozed and took over my life.

clinging2faith

I go there. Here is a copy of what I sent to other users who have asked about this hospital:

I'm probably not going to be the best resource for you, since I haven't seen the CF docs in a few years. But I did see them until I was 21, though it's now been four years. From what I understand, the adult doctor sees his patients in the same clinic that the pediatrics go to, but he only takes appointments on certain days of the week (although you could probably see him in his own office every other day, you just wouldn't see the whole team). His name is Dr. Riker, and from my experience with him he was nice. I saw him once when my insurance was a PPO. With the PPO though my parents were paying too much for my actual hospital bills, so we switched back to an HMO. Well he didn't take Blue Cross HMO at the time (he may now, I don't know) so I switched to Dr. Krueger. He is a pulmonologist, but doesn't specialize in CF. I am comfortable going to him, though, because if he has questions about my care or new treatments he just calls over to the clinic and talks to them. Also, I've taught him a lot and he's made an effort to educate himself more on the treatment of CF just since I've been going to him. I've seen him for almost 2 years now and I have no problems with him.

What I remember about the clinic was I would see the CF doc, gastro doc, social worker, a nutritionist, and sometimes a respiratory therapist. All of which were VERY nice and always listened to what you had to say. I never felt like I was being rushed out the door. In fact, I always forgot that I needed to allow at least an hour and a half for appointments! The social worker's name is Julia Greenwald, and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE her! I still talk to her and I even invited her to my wedding! The respiratory therapist, Tom Newton, would come in and make sure I was using my flutter, acapella or vest (whichever I was currently using) correctly or tell me about new techniques and such. The nutritionist (can't remember her name) is nice, but she hardly shows any emotion. The doc's nurse (she isn't there anymore, though) was always very helpful if I needed to be seen right away. I can remember one time feeling like death warmed over and my dad called and talked to her. She set everything up for me to be directly admitted to the hospital without any hesitation. Also, I used to be a server in a restaurant and one day the pediatric doctor, Dr. Nussbaum (google him, he is AWESOME!) sat at my table, not knowing that I worked there. He asked me why I don't go to clinic anymore and I told him it was because of my insurance. He pulled me aside and said "You NEED to go to clinic, don't worry about the insurance, we will see you no matter what." He just genuinely loves his patients and wants the best for them. If the adult doctor is anything like him, you will be so happy if you decide to switch.

I do see the clinic team when I am in the hospital, though, if they know I'm there. Since I don't see the CF docs, the rest of the team sometimes doesn't get the memo that I am in. I see a doctor everyday that I am in the hospital; the rest of the team I just see on an as needed basis. I don't really have gastro problems so I don't see that doc; the nutritionist I see sometime in the beginning of my stay and she orders me snacks, checks my vitamin levels, talks me into taking my scandishakes, etc. I'm sure that if I needed them more than that they would come.

I have never gone to a different hospital, so I don't have anything to compare it to. On the adult floor it seems that some of the nurses aren't very familiar with CF (in fact one woman called it CH). I am very outspoken and I pay attention to everything that they do to me. If I see that something isn't right, I let them know. I am very nice about it, and I don't make it seem like I am trying to tell them how to do their job. Sometimes you get the bitchy nurses that give you attitude, but mostly they just say something like "you know so much about your condition, it's good that you pay attention to what's going on." This last time I was in I asked the nurse to be unhooked from my IV, since I didn't have any meds going in, so that I could go downstairs to get some real food from the cafe and to go see the newborn babies. She told me that nobody is allowed to leave the floor. I politely told her that I'd been coming here for 25 years and I've ALWAYS left to go downstairs! The docs encourage it because it gets you out of bed! Well the next day I talked to my doctor and he wrote orders for me to be able to go down. He was surprised she said that too! I only go into the hospital about every year, year and a half. If I was a more "frequent flier" the nurses might be a little more leniant about some things.

I go there. Here is a copy of what I sent to other users who have asked about this hospital:

I'm probably not going to be the best resource for you, since I haven't seen the CF docs in a few years. But I did see them until I was 21, though it's now been four years. From what I understand, the adult doctor sees his patients in the same clinic that the pediatrics go to, but he only takes appointments on certain days of the week (although you could probably see him in his own office every other day, you just wouldn't see the whole team). His name is Dr. Riker, and from my experience with him he was nice. I saw him once when my insurance was a PPO. With the PPO though my parents were paying too much for my actual hospital bills, so we switched back to an HMO. Well he didn't take Blue Cross HMO at the time (he may now, I don't know) so I switched to Dr. Krueger. He is a pulmonologist, but doesn't specialize in CF. I am comfortable going to him, though, because if he has questions about my care or new treatments he just calls over to the clinic and talks to them. Also, I've taught him a lot and he's made an effort to educate himself more on the treatment of CF just since I've been going to him. I've seen him for almost 2 years now and I have no problems with him.

What I remember about the clinic was I would see the CF doc, gastro doc, social worker, a nutritionist, and sometimes a respiratory therapist. All of which were VERY nice and always listened to what you had to say. I never felt like I was being rushed out the door. In fact, I always forgot that I needed to allow at least an hour and a half for appointments! The social worker's name is Julia Greenwald, and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE her! I still talk to her and I even invited her to my wedding! The respiratory therapist, Tom Newton, would come in and make sure I was using my flutter, acapella or vest (whichever I was currently using) correctly or tell me about new techniques and such. The nutritionist (can't remember her name) is nice, but she hardly shows any emotion. The doc's nurse (she isn't there anymore, though) was always very helpful if I needed to be seen right away. I can remember one time feeling like death warmed over and my dad called and talked to her. She set everything up for me to be directly admitted to the hospital without any hesitation. Also, I used to be a server in a restaurant and one day the pediatric doctor, Dr. Nussbaum (google him, he is AWESOME!) sat at my table, not knowing that I worked there. He asked me why I don't go to clinic anymore and I told him it was because of my insurance. He pulled me aside and said "You NEED to go to clinic, don't worry about the insurance, we will see you no matter what." He just genuinely loves his patients and wants the best for them. If the adult doctor is anything like him, you will be so happy if you decide to switch.

I do see the clinic team when I am in the hospital, though, if they know I'm there. Since I don't see the CF docs, the rest of the team sometimes doesn't get the memo that I am in. I see a doctor everyday that I am in the hospital; the rest of the team I just see on an as needed basis. I don't really have gastro problems so I don't see that doc; the nutritionist I see sometime in the beginning of my stay and she orders me snacks, checks my vitamin levels, talks me into taking my scandishakes, etc. I'm sure that if I needed them more than that they would come.

I have never gone to a different hospital, so I don't have anything to compare it to. On the adult floor it seems that some of the nurses aren't very familiar with CF (in fact one woman called it CH). I am very outspoken and I pay attention to everything that they do to me. If I see that something isn't right, I let them know. I am very nice about it, and I don't make it seem like I am trying to tell them how to do their job. Sometimes you get the bitchy nurses that give you attitude, but mostly they just say something like "you know so much about your condition, it's good that you pay attention to what's going on." This last time I was in I asked the nurse to be unhooked from my IV, since I didn't have any meds going in, so that I could go downstairs to get some real food from the cafe and to go see the newborn babies. She told me that nobody is allowed to leave the floor. I politely told her that I'd been coming here for 25 years and I've ALWAYS left to go downstairs! The docs encourage it because it gets you out of bed! Well the next day I talked to my doctor and he wrote orders for me to be able to go down. He was surprised she said that too! I only go into the hospital about every year, year and a half. If I was a more "frequent flier" the nurses might be a little more leniant about some things.

clinging2faith

Lindsey first CONGRATULATIONS on your wedding, you llook lovely.
Thank you so much for having sent all that information via this msg to me. I am very much like you, I know about my illness and my body more than many nurses and even doctors. Of course not the c.f. doctors. Yes I have also (I think) taught indirectly my pulmonologist which is not a c.f. doctor. However I am now switching to Dr. Ryker precisely. I have already seen him. He listened and swallowed 3yrs worth of medical records when I have been doing louzy, and he knows what he is doing. I like him.

Yet the insurance dilemma. I have GHPP and a c.f. center takes that but apparently Dr. Ryker's office does not know a thing about GHPP and I have been travelling back and forth wiht no results all the way to Long BEach and cant get an x-ray done because they do not take action on the authorization by ghpp. Anyway my hospitalization is what I am worried about. The nursing staff since I dont know them, worries me. I dont want amateurs is what i mean. When you get to be my age (44) with c.f., you do get picky (as you have experienced we do have to watch everything they do ---some not so well informed staff have made bad mistakes with me). I am a really good patient. But Im running out of patience now when some nurses i've had in Mission Hospital are so horribly cruel, unknowledgeable about c.f. and antagonizing---that i dont ever want to have around me anymore at least as a patient.

GOOD SMILING HELPFUL NURSES are hard to find. Though I have had them but it only takes one bad nonhelpful on a high horse and or discriminating nurse to ruin one's day. I had a real winner nurse that instead of politely waking me up she would almost pinch my arm and shove it and then say "HEY" , that i dont want to have again.

In terms of the higiene. HOW GOOD IS THE HIGIENE AT LONG BEACH MEMORIAL MED CTR? AT LEAST ON THE 6TH FLOOR WEST WING THEY CALLED IT...do you know? I have seen much lack of higiene in other hospitals and that is dangerous!

So basically it is higiene and the type of nursing staff (caring or not?), what I am worried about.

And though Im supposed to go get the famous tune up, I actually think I am going to skip it.
Something tells me no, dont go yet.

But thank you for your msg. GOD BLESS YOU.

clinging2faith

Thank you so much for having sent all that information via this msg to me. I am very much like you, I know about my illness and my body more than many nurses and even doctors. Of course not the c.f. doctors. Yes I have also (I think) taught indirectly my pulmonologist which is not a c.f. doctor. However I am now switching to Dr. Ryker precisely. I have already seen him. He listened and swallowed 3yrs worth of medical records when I have been doing louzy, and he knows what he is doing. I like him.

Yet the insurance dilemma. I have GHPP and a c.f. center takes that but apparently Dr. Ryker's office does not know a thing about GHPP and I have been travelling back and forth wiht no results all the way to Long BEach and cant get an x-ray done because they do not take action on the authorization by ghpp. Anyway my hospitalization is what I am worried about. The nursing staff since I dont know them, worries me. I dont want amateurs is what i mean. When you get to be my age (44) with c.f., you do get picky (as you have experienced we do have to watch everything they do ---some not so well informed staff have made bad mistakes with me). I am a really good patient. But Im running out of patience now when some nurses i've had in Mission Hospital are so horribly cruel, unknowledgeable about c.f. and antagonizing---that i dont ever want to have around me anymore at least as a patient.

GOOD SMILING HELPFUL NURSES are hard to find. Though I have had them but it only takes one bad nonhelpful on a high horse and or discriminating nurse to ruin one's day. I had a real winner nurse that instead of politely waking me up she would almost pinch my arm and shove it and then say "HEY" , that i dont want to have again.

In terms of the higiene. HOW GOOD IS THE HIGIENE AT LONG BEACH MEMORIAL MED CTR? AT LEAST ON THE 6TH FLOOR WEST WING THEY CALLED IT...do you know? I have seen much lack of higiene in other hospitals and that is dangerous!

So basically it is higiene and the type of nursing staff (caring or not?), what I am worried about.

And though Im supposed to go get the famous tune up, I actually think I am going to skip it.

clinging2faith

CaliSally

Clinging:
I don't go to LBM, but I do go to USC University, which isn't too far away. I've been going there for a few years now.

The CF team is excellent - Dr. Rao, the nurses Debbie and Diane, and pulmonologist Paul. They know everything about CF and GHPP We also have a social worker and nutritionist on the "team"

I've read briefly some of your posts, I'm sorry all that you are going through, but we all hope this is the first step to getting on the right tract. I'm sorry you are having trouble with your daughter, but we are here for you.

Maybe part of your problem is that you need "authorizations" from GHPP FIRST for certain things, otherwise, you will be liable. It takes someone experienced to deal with GHPP. they are a nightmare, but you do get what you need, eventually.

As for the nursing staff during admissions - they are excellent too. They know us CFers very well. Even the pt's do to, most of them. (There is always the occasional weirdo) Some have complained that USC take too long to bill, but that's nothing to worry about - I'd rather that I get good care.
Also, the nurses really care. Anytime I mention something (not even to complain, just to mention in passing conversation) they make sure the situation gets addressed. They are so friendly, that a few of them were even at my wedding.

Anyway, after this admission, you'll have a taste for LBM (I''ve never been there), but if you would like to explore some more options, I would recommond USC University.

Here is the nurses number if you wish to get more info/help:
Debbie/Diane: 323-442-8522

They have gotten a influx of patients recently, but all in all, they do a great job.

Feel free to IM if you want to talk more or have more questions.
Best Wishes,
Sally

CaliSally

Clinging:
I don't go to LBM, but I do go to USC University, which isn't too far away. I've been going there for a few years now.

The CF team is excellent - Dr. Rao, the nurses Debbie and Diane, and pulmonologist Paul. They know everything about CF and GHPP We also have a social worker and nutritionist on the "team"

I've read briefly some of your posts, I'm sorry all that you are going through, but we all hope this is the first step to getting on the right tract. I'm sorry you are having trouble with your daughter, but we are here for you.

Maybe part of your problem is that you need "authorizations" from GHPP FIRST for certain things, otherwise, you will be liable. It takes someone experienced to deal with GHPP. they are a nightmare, but you do get what you need, eventually.

As for the nursing staff during admissions - they are excellent too. They know us CFers very well. Even the pt's do to, most of them. (There is always the occasional weirdo) Some have complained that USC take too long to bill, but that's nothing to worry about - I'd rather that I get good care.
Also, the nurses really care. Anytime I mention something (not even to complain, just to mention in passing conversation) they make sure the situation gets addressed. They are so friendly, that a few of them were even at my wedding.

Anyway, after this admission, you'll have a taste for LBM (I''ve never been there), but if you would like to explore some more options, I would recommond USC University.

They have gotten a influx of patients recently, but all in all, they do a great job.

Best Wishes,
Sally

CaliSally

Clinging:

Best Wishes,
Sally

deanna

Hi, I go to St. Joseph's?CHOC. Am curious why you are switching? I have consisdered LBM also. I will be interested in how this goes for you. Good luck. Keep us posted.

deanna

Hi, I go to St. Joseph's?CHOC. Am curious why you are switching? I have consisdered LBM also. I will be interested in how this goes for you. Good luck. Keep us posted.

deanna

rockingdog

Sally,

I agree with you regarding the team at USC. Debbie and Diane are awesome. Have you been hospitalized there? I didn't have good experiences at the hospital. I wouldn't call them the worst I've ever had, but there were scary times due to the poor quality of nurses.

What are your thoughts?

Rockingdog

rockingdog

Sally,

I agree with you regarding the team at USC. Debbie and Diane are awesome. Have you been hospitalized there? I didn't have good experiences at the hospital. I wouldn't call them the worst I've ever had, but there were scary times due to the poor quality of nurses.

What are your thoughts?

Rockingdog

rockingdog

Sally,

What are your thoughts?

Rockingdog

It's nice to see other's are in the OC area! I live in Tustin.

Deanna, I have a CF friend who goes to St. Joe's and I go to LBM. From stories I hear from him, I'm glad I go to Long Beach!! When I met him about a year and a half ago we got to talking about our CF and hospitals and such. He didn't even know what the vest was, which completely shocked me!! He said they don't use them at St. Joes. I've also heard they have a high rate of patients spreading cepacia. What is your experience with them?

clinging2faith, I've never had issues with hygiene at LBM. I'm not exactly sure what you are asking specifically, but as far as I see the docs and nurses all wash their hands or wear gloves when dealing with patients. The hospital itself seems clean. I've never come out of there with anything more than what I went in there with!!! I have noticed though that the respiratory therapists are very aware of good hygiene. Which, I suppose is a good thing, considering people are spewing phlegm at them all day!! As far as the nurses go, like I said before, sometimes you get the nasty ones. I've had a lot more good ones than bad. Right from the start though, I try to establish who's boss (that's me!) I don't let them do anything to me that I don't want them to do. And if I have a problem with them, I go above them and tell whoever is in charge that I don't want that person to be my nurse anymore (I've only had to do that once, though!). Believe me, once word gets around that you don't put up with anything, everyone is nice!

It's nice to see other's are in the OC area! I live in Tustin.

Deanna, I have a CF friend who goes to St. Joe's and I go to LBM. From stories I hear from him, I'm glad I go to Long Beach!! When I met him about a year and a half ago we got to talking about our CF and hospitals and such. He didn't even know what the vest was, which completely shocked me!! He said they don't use them at St. Joes. I've also heard they have a high rate of patients spreading cepacia. What is your experience with them?

clinging2faith, I've never had issues with hygiene at LBM. I'm not exactly sure what you are asking specifically, but as far as I see the docs and nurses all wash their hands or wear gloves when dealing with patients. The hospital itself seems clean. I've never come out of there with anything more than what I went in there with!!! I have noticed though that the respiratory therapists are very aware of good hygiene. Which, I suppose is a good thing, considering people are spewing phlegm at them all day!! As far as the nurses go, like I said before, sometimes you get the nasty ones. I've had a lot more good ones than bad. Right from the start though, I try to establish who's boss (that's me!) I don't let them do anything to me that I don't want them to do. And if I have a problem with them, I go above them and tell whoever is in charge that I don't want that person to be my nurse anymore (I've only had to do that once, though!). Believe me, once word gets around that you don't put up with anything, everyone is nice!