do you let your cf'r use the shower?

fuel1316

i was mainly worried about our shower. our dd's bathroom has only a tub but we have a spare bathroom with a shower and our bathroom has a shower and we have an in ground full size (like the kind that goes outside) spa/jacuzi in our room.

ill talk to her cf dr when we go next. we havnt filled the spa yet or used it since before i got pregnant so im not worrried about that harming her yet but the shower.. she has used..

fuel1316

i was mainly worried about our shower. our dd's bathroom has only a tub but we have a spare bathroom with a shower and our bathroom has a shower and we have an in ground full size (like the kind that goes outside) spa/jacuzi in our room.

ill talk to her cf dr when we go next. we havnt filled the spa yet or used it since before i got pregnant so im not worrried about that harming her yet but the shower.. she has used..

fuel1316

fuel1316

fuel1316

<br />
<br />ill talk to her cf dr when we go next. we havnt filled the spa yet or used it since before i got pregnant so im not worrried about that harming her yet but the shower.. she has used..

M

Mommafirst

Okay please forgive me if this sounds blunt -- but what the heck?? You might not want your 9 month old to take a shower, but once your kiddo gets to be a certain age, I can assure you that you will have other things to worry about. There are no bubbles that I can find that we can put our kids in, and I don't want to. Does this article mean that we need to pay better attention to cleaning our shower heads.... yes, I think it does. But I don't think it means you should ban showers from your CFer. Our goal as parents of kids with CF is not only to teach them to be healthy and take care of themselves and their CF, but its also to raise them to adulthood. To help them live as normally as they can.

WE have a hot tub in our backyard. We closed it over two years ago and we haven't opened it again because we know its not in Alyssa's best interest. Hot tubs are a luxery, not a lifes necessity. She can live a full life without hanging out in our backyard hot tub exposing herself to germs. But I draw the line at refusing the allow her to use the shower, even though she is a bath taking gal right now.

I will do whatever I can to protect Alyssa, but I have to balance it out with being rational and giving her some normalcy. SO I'll have to bleach the shower head weekly as part of my cleaning routine, but I won't keep her from showering.

M

Mommafirst

Okay please forgive me if this sounds blunt -- but what the heck?? You might not want your 9 month old to take a shower, but once your kiddo gets to be a certain age, I can assure you that you will have other things to worry about. There are no bubbles that I can find that we can put our kids in, and I don't want to. Does this article mean that we need to pay better attention to cleaning our shower heads.... yes, I think it does. But I don't think it means you should ban showers from your CFer. Our goal as parents of kids with CF is not only to teach them to be healthy and take care of themselves and their CF, but its also to raise them to adulthood. To help them live as normally as they can.

WE have a hot tub in our backyard. We closed it over two years ago and we haven't opened it again because we know its not in Alyssa's best interest. Hot tubs are a luxery, not a lifes necessity. She can live a full life without hanging out in our backyard hot tub exposing herself to germs. But I draw the line at refusing the allow her to use the shower, even though she is a bath taking gal right now.

I will do whatever I can to protect Alyssa, but I have to balance it out with being rational and giving her some normalcy. SO I'll have to bleach the shower head weekly as part of my cleaning routine, but I won't keep her from showering.

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

<br />
<br />WE have a hot tub in our backyard. We closed it over two years ago and we haven't opened it again because we know its not in Alyssa's best interest. Hot tubs are a luxery, not a lifes necessity. She can live a full life without hanging out in our backyard hot tub exposing herself to germs. But I draw the line at refusing the allow her to use the shower, even though she is a bath taking gal right now.
<br />
<br />I will do whatever I can to protect Alyssa, but I have to balance it out with being rational and giving her some normalcy. SO I'll have to bleach the shower head weekly as part of my cleaning routine, but I won't keep her from showering.

izemmom

All of these articles and posts about shower heads started to come out in the same month that Emily started to insist on taking showers, not baths. Just my luck, huh?

I wholeheartedly agree with Heather (as I usually do, but that's a different story!) I can not imagine not allowing her to shower as she grows older, but I CAN imagine doing everything I can to make sure our shower is clean and healthy for her. Even before she started to shower we switched to all stainless showerheads and we do remove the head and bleach it on a regular basis (usually weekly). Emily always showers AFTER her sister, so the water has been running, and the tub area is wiped down with a Clorox type wipe and then rinsed before she gets in. We run the ventilation fan in the bathroom and attack any mildew on the shower curtain as soon as it appears. Shower curtain is changed far more regularly than it used to be, too!

So, I'll do these simple things that just make sense for ALL of us, but I won't keep her from showering.

I will be asking about this at our next clinic visit, though, and I'll be reading other parents responses here. Who knows, maybe I'll find a really compelling reason to change my mind!

izemmom

All of these articles and posts about shower heads started to come out in the same month that Emily started to insist on taking showers, not baths. Just my luck, huh?

I wholeheartedly agree with Heather (as I usually do, but that's a different story!) I can not imagine not allowing her to shower as she grows older, but I CAN imagine doing everything I can to make sure our shower is clean and healthy for her. Even before she started to shower we switched to all stainless showerheads and we do remove the head and bleach it on a regular basis (usually weekly). Emily always showers AFTER her sister, so the water has been running, and the tub area is wiped down with a Clorox type wipe and then rinsed before she gets in. We run the ventilation fan in the bathroom and attack any mildew on the shower curtain as soon as it appears. Shower curtain is changed far more regularly than it used to be, too!

So, I'll do these simple things that just make sense for ALL of us, but I won't keep her from showering.

I will be asking about this at our next clinic visit, though, and I'll be reading other parents responses here. Who knows, maybe I'll find a really compelling reason to change my mind!

izemmom

izemmom

izemmom

<br />
<br />I wholeheartedly agree with Heather (as I usually do, but that's a different story!) I can not imagine not allowing her to shower as she grows older, but I CAN imagine doing everything I can to make sure our shower is clean and healthy for her. Even before she started to shower we switched to all stainless showerheads and we do remove the head and bleach it on a regular basis (usually weekly). Emily always showers AFTER her sister, so the water has been running, and the tub area is wiped down with a Clorox type wipe and then rinsed before she gets in. We run the ventilation fan in the bathroom and attack any mildew on the shower curtain as soon as it appears. Shower curtain is changed far more regularly than it used to be, too!
<br />
<br />So, I'll do these simple things that just make sense for ALL of us, but I won't keep her from showering.
<br />
<br />I will be asking about this at our next clinic visit, though, and I'll be reading other parents responses here. Who knows, maybe I'll find a really compelling reason to change my mind!

izemmom

Something else that occurred to me...

We stayed the weekend last week at the camp that Emily will likely attend during the summer when she is old enough. I was ablosutely skeeved out by the condition of the shower head in our cabin. I refused to shower, and began to worry (already) about what we will do in 4 years when she spends part of a week there. I came to the conclusion that I will buy an inexpensive showerhead and send it with her! (We are fortunate to be close friends with several staff members at the camp!)

This led me to think about showers in hotels! Gross! So, when we head to Florida this December, I'll be packing a shower head! Why not? They just screw on and off, right?

Now, my husband works as an engineer in metal fabrication, and HE is working on engineering a copper showerhead, because he beleives that copper prohibits all bacteria growth. I've not researched this, but, if he builds the damn thing,and this is true, I'll let you all know...from my new vacation home in the Bahamas, because we'll be selling them to CF'ers world wide! LOL!

izemmom

We stayed the weekend last week at the camp that Emily will likely attend during the summer when she is old enough. I was ablosutely skeeved out by the condition of the shower head in our cabin. I refused to shower, and began to worry (already) about what we will do in 4 years when she spends part of a week there. I came to the conclusion that I will buy an inexpensive showerhead and send it with her! (We are fortunate to be close friends with several staff members at the camp!)

This led me to think about showers in hotels! Gross! So, when we head to Florida this December, I'll be packing a shower head! Why not? They just screw on and off, right?

Now, my husband works as an engineer in metal fabrication, and HE is working on engineering a copper showerhead, because he beleives that copper prohibits all bacteria growth. I've not researched this, but, if he builds the damn thing,and this is true, I'll let you all know...from my new vacation home in the Bahamas, because we'll be selling them to CF'ers world wide! LOL!

izemmom

izemmom

izemmom

<br />
<br />We stayed the weekend last week at the camp that Emily will likely attend during the summer when she is old enough. I was ablosutely skeeved out by the condition of the shower head in our cabin. I refused to shower, and began to worry (already) about what we will do in 4 years when she spends part of a week there. I came to the conclusion that I will buy an inexpensive showerhead and send it with her! (We are fortunate to be close friends with several staff members at the camp!)
<br />
<br />This led me to think about showers in hotels! Gross! So, when we head to Florida this December, I'll be packing a shower head! Why not? They just screw on and off, right?
<br />
<br />Now, my husband works as an engineer in metal fabrication, and HE is working on engineering a copper showerhead, because he beleives that copper prohibits all bacteria growth. I've not researched this, but, if he builds the damn thing,and this is true, I'll let you all know...from my new vacation home in the Bahamas, because we'll be selling them to CF'ers world wide! LOL!