do you let your cf'r use the shower?

lilywing

my parents and i lived in a house with a massive indoor pool a few years ago. during that period, i cultured aspergillus (a fungus) for the first time, complicated by ABPA(an allergy to aspergillus that is treated by nasty anti-fungal drugs and/or the dreaded prednisone. bacterias are bad. fungi suck because destroy the lungs in a different way, and they can be VERY complicated to treat. my parents felt SICK when we discovered the possible (and very likely) cause of the aspergillus cultures, and i was sicker than EVER.
I always knew to stay out of hot tubs and steam rooms. In my opinion, hot tubs, jacuzzies, steam rooms, and pools, especially in the house, are not a risk worth taking. not good not good not good.

however, i shower, and i will continue to shower until i can't shower no more.

lilywing

my parents and i lived in a house with a massive indoor pool a few years ago. during that period, i cultured aspergillus (a fungus) for the first time, complicated by ABPA(an allergy to aspergillus that is treated by nasty anti-fungal drugs and/or the dreaded prednisone. bacterias are bad. fungi suck because destroy the lungs in a different way, and they can be VERY complicated to treat. my parents felt SICK when we discovered the possible (and very likely) cause of the aspergillus cultures, and i was sicker than EVER.
I always knew to stay out of hot tubs and steam rooms. In my opinion, hot tubs, jacuzzies, steam rooms, and pools, especially in the house, are not a risk worth taking. not good not good not good.

lilywing

lilywing

lilywing

<br />I always knew to stay out of hot tubs and steam rooms. In my opinion, hot tubs, jacuzzies, steam rooms, and pools, especially in the house, are not a risk worth taking. not good not good not good.
<br />
<br />however, i shower, and i will continue to shower until i can't shower no more.

M

mneville

In all honesty...is there anything that is safe for our CFers? PA and MRSA are everywhere so they can pick it up anywhere. We take precautions with Aidan but it's gotten to the point that I feel if I keep reading this stuff, he'll never leave the house again! He is 5 and has been showering for about 2 years. At the time, I thought it seemed cleaner than the bathtub! He has not cultured PA yet. MRSA, yes. Am I going to forbid showers when he cultures PA? Nope. I don't want Aidan being a paranoid freak about everything so he washes his hands alot and stays away from water fountains and sick people. Other than that, he lives life. I do run the water for a few minutes before his shower now that I have this info though.

Megan

M

mneville

In all honesty...is there anything that is safe for our CFers? PA and MRSA are everywhere so they can pick it up anywhere. We take precautions with Aidan but it's gotten to the point that I feel if I keep reading this stuff, he'll never leave the house again! He is 5 and has been showering for about 2 years. At the time, I thought it seemed cleaner than the bathtub! He has not cultured PA yet. MRSA, yes. Am I going to forbid showers when he cultures PA? Nope. I don't want Aidan being a paranoid freak about everything so he washes his hands alot and stays away from water fountains and sick people. Other than that, he lives life. I do run the water for a few minutes before his shower now that I have this info though.

Megan

M

mneville

Megan

M

mneville

Megan

M

mneville

<br />
<br />Megan

Littlemiss

I have cf and so do two of my brothers. We all take showers and I remember doing the sit in the bathroom with the water running thing to breathe in the steam.

My older brother cultured PA first when he was a baby, and then consistently after he was about 10 years old. Even though I was living with him and shared a room and everything I still didn't get it until I was 15. That's seven years of LIVING with someone with PA and not getting it.

I don't think we need to worry about showers...

AJ

Littlemiss

I have cf and so do two of my brothers. We all take showers and I remember doing the sit in the bathroom with the water running thing to breathe in the steam.

My older brother cultured PA first when he was a baby, and then consistently after he was about 10 years old. Even though I was living with him and shared a room and everything I still didn't get it until I was 15. That's seven years of LIVING with someone with PA and not getting it.

AJ

Littlemiss

AJ

Littlemiss

AJ

Littlemiss

<br />
<br />My older brother cultured PA first when he was a baby, and then consistently after he was about 10 years old. Even though I was living with him and shared a room and everything I still didn't get it until I was 15. That's seven years of LIVING with someone with PA and not getting it.
<br />
<br />I don't think we need to worry about showers...
<br />
<br />AJ