Do you need a cathiter to pee?

sk8rgrrrl4life

Do you seriously need a cathiter to pee after surgery because if thats the case...i refuse to EVER get a transplant that draws the line for me, i'd honestly rather die with my lungs at whatever age that may be then be tortured for weeks with chest tubes and cathiters and iv's and annoying fcken doctors and be left with even more scars. I honestly don't think for me its worth living with cf, i rather just stop right now.

sk8rgrrrl4life

Do you seriously need a cathiter to pee after surgery because if thats the case...i refuse to EVER get a transplant that draws the line for me, i'd honestly rather die with my lungs at whatever age that may be then be tortured for weeks with chest tubes and cathiters and iv's and annoying fcken doctors and be left with even more scars. I honestly don't think for me its worth living with cf, i rather just stop right now.

sk8rgrrrl4life

sk8rgrrrl4life

sk8rgrrrl4life

PedsNP2007

Alyssa,
Yes, you need a catheter in your bladder after the transplant. There are 2 reasons.
1. Some medications (esp pain medications) cause urinary retention and makes it difficult to get the urine out.

2. You will be critically ill post surgery requiring close monitoring of your fluid input and fluid output. The critical care team needs to see how your kidneys are functioning (both by lab tests and by urine output) as well as how well perfused your kidneys are (blood flow to the kidneys). During the transplant, you are on bypass (meaning you are put on a heart and lung machine to perfuse your body). This machine is not the best for delivering the best blood flow to the kidneys. Plus, most anti-rejection medications can be harmful to the kidneys. Therefore, the foley provides us with an indication of how blood flow to the kidneys are doing. If there is minimal urine, this could indicate that some degree of kidney impairment (usually correctable within a few days) or could indicate that you may need some additional fluid (using other lab results, clinical exam, and monitoring devices).

It's an unavoidable part of the transplant. I would assume they would place put the foley catheter in you once you are sedated and we, as a team, try to take out the foley as soon as the patient is out of the immediate critical care period. It's a great way to really assess how your fluid status is... Without the foley, it is difficult during that immediate post-op period to keep a close eye on volume status.

Sorry. That's how we do it for our transplant population. I gather it doesn't differ for other centers. We try not to keep it in long if the patient does well -- it is a source of infection risk and once the patient is awake, out of the immediate critical care phase, and able to tolerate less "urine retention" pain meds, we remove it.

Jenn
30 yo cf

PedsNP2007

Alyssa,
Yes, you need a catheter in your bladder after the transplant. There are 2 reasons.
1. Some medications (esp pain medications) cause urinary retention and makes it difficult to get the urine out.

2. You will be critically ill post surgery requiring close monitoring of your fluid input and fluid output. The critical care team needs to see how your kidneys are functioning (both by lab tests and by urine output) as well as how well perfused your kidneys are (blood flow to the kidneys). During the transplant, you are on bypass (meaning you are put on a heart and lung machine to perfuse your body). This machine is not the best for delivering the best blood flow to the kidneys. Plus, most anti-rejection medications can be harmful to the kidneys. Therefore, the foley provides us with an indication of how blood flow to the kidneys are doing. If there is minimal urine, this could indicate that some degree of kidney impairment (usually correctable within a few days) or could indicate that you may need some additional fluid (using other lab results, clinical exam, and monitoring devices).

It's an unavoidable part of the transplant. I would assume they would place put the foley catheter in you once you are sedated and we, as a team, try to take out the foley as soon as the patient is out of the immediate critical care period. It's a great way to really assess how your fluid status is... Without the foley, it is difficult during that immediate post-op period to keep a close eye on volume status.

Sorry. That's how we do it for our transplant population. I gather it doesn't differ for other centers. We try not to keep it in long if the patient does well -- it is a source of infection risk and once the patient is awake, out of the immediate critical care phase, and able to tolerate less "urine retention" pain meds, we remove it.

Jenn
30 yo cf

PedsNP2007

Alyssa,

Jenn
30 yo cf

PedsNP2007

Alyssa,

Jenn
30 yo cf

PedsNP2007

Alyssa,
<br />Yes, you need a catheter in your bladder after the transplant. There are 2 reasons.
<br />1. Some medications (esp pain medications) cause urinary retention and makes it difficult to get the urine out.
<br />
<br />2. You will be critically ill post surgery requiring close monitoring of your fluid input and fluid output. The critical care team needs to see how your kidneys are functioning (both by lab tests and by urine output) as well as how well perfused your kidneys are (blood flow to the kidneys). During the transplant, you are on bypass (meaning you are put on a heart and lung machine to perfuse your body). This machine is not the best for delivering the best blood flow to the kidneys. Plus, most anti-rejection medications can be harmful to the kidneys. Therefore, the foley provides us with an indication of how blood flow to the kidneys are doing. If there is minimal urine, this could indicate that some degree of kidney impairment (usually correctable within a few days) or could indicate that you may need some additional fluid (using other lab results, clinical exam, and monitoring devices).
<br />
<br />It's an unavoidable part of the transplant. I would assume they would place put the foley catheter in you once you are sedated and we, as a team, try to take out the foley as soon as the patient is out of the immediate critical care period. It's a great way to really assess how your fluid status is... Without the foley, it is difficult during that immediate post-op period to keep a close eye on volume status.
<br />
<br />Sorry. That's how we do it for our transplant population. I gather it doesn't differ for other centers. We try not to keep it in long if the patient does well -- it is a source of infection risk and once the patient is awake, out of the immediate critical care phase, and able to tolerate less "urine retention" pain meds, we remove it.
<br />
<br />Jenn
<br />30 yo cf

Marjolein

Yes I had one too. They put it in while I was sedated so I didn't notice any of it. Also the taking out part wasn't bad at all. Pre tx I would always think of it as a really bad thing but really, it wasn't at all. It's just one more thing to add up. Helps you stay alive. Helps the doctors cause they have to measure your fluid balance (how much goes in and how much goes out) and it really helps you cause you don't have to get your bum up and pee on a pot right after when you wake up from surgery....
Pre tx I hated the thought of completely being at the hands of others. But when I woke up it didn't even cross my mind. And later I was happy for it. Happy everything went so well, so smoothly. And that I got a new lease on life.

Marjolein

Yes I had one too. They put it in while I was sedated so I didn't notice any of it. Also the taking out part wasn't bad at all. Pre tx I would always think of it as a really bad thing but really, it wasn't at all. It's just one more thing to add up. Helps you stay alive. Helps the doctors cause they have to measure your fluid balance (how much goes in and how much goes out) and it really helps you cause you don't have to get your bum up and pee on a pot right after when you wake up from surgery....
Pre tx I hated the thought of completely being at the hands of others. But when I woke up it didn't even cross my mind. And later I was happy for it. Happy everything went so well, so smoothly. And that I got a new lease on life.

Marjolein

Marjolein

Marjolein

<br />Pre tx I hated the thought of completely being at the hands of others. But when I woke up it didn't even cross my mind. And later I was happy for it. Happy everything went so well, so smoothly. And that I got a new lease on life.

Juliet

I've had catheter's for other medical procedures. It's not as bad as you are making it out to be. They put it in after you're asleep. After surgery it's just one more thing they monitor. It's not like you feel like you need to pee through the tube - it continually drains so that you don't get the full bladder sensation. The other surgeries I've had done the last thing I wanted to have to deal with was getting out of the hospital bed, making it across the room to a toilet. Sitting down and then getting back up again was waaaaay beyond my ability the first few days after my other 2 surgeries. So I was very glad I have a catheter and not have to deal with going to the bathroom to pee. Removal isn't a big deal either. the end of the tube has a little bulb that gets inflated to hold it in place. When the nurse takes the catheter out they deflate the bulb and it slips right out. ~Juliet

Juliet

I've had catheter's for other medical procedures. It's not as bad as you are making it out to be. They put it in after you're asleep. After surgery it's just one more thing they monitor. It's not like you feel like you need to pee through the tube - it continually drains so that you don't get the full bladder sensation. The other surgeries I've had done the last thing I wanted to have to deal with was getting out of the hospital bed, making it across the room to a toilet. Sitting down and then getting back up again was waaaaay beyond my ability the first few days after my other 2 surgeries. So I was very glad I have a catheter and not have to deal with going to the bathroom to pee. Removal isn't a big deal either. the end of the tube has a little bulb that gets inflated to hold it in place. When the nurse takes the catheter out they deflate the bulb and it slips right out. ~Juliet

Juliet

Juliet

Juliet