Do you need a cathiter to pee?

coltsfan715

Yes I had a catheter for maybe 5 days post surgery - I had the catheter until I had the epiduryl taken out and I had that until I had the chest tubes removed.

I will be honest and say the worst my pain got on a scale of 1-10 was ..... maybe a 20. For me that lasted one day (2 days post transplant) and it was because they had changed my pain meds and the new med just wasn't effective for me.

Overall the pain wasn't bad it was just a nagging thing for a few weeks/months.

As for transplant not being worth it because of rejection, infection, stents and what have you. I haven't had any of those and honestly I was prepared for all of those going into it. I prepared myself for the worst and have honestly had probably one of the best recoveries thus far. I would have another transplant if it was needed but that is me.

I think what it boils down to is what it is worth to you. when I was 20 I probably would have chosen against transplant because I was at that time okay with leaving the world. It would suck for my parents but honestly I was okay with leaving. When I became sick enough to need it I had found my fiance and had things I wanted to pursue in life. I wasn't ready at that point to just say ado. So it didn't really matter to me all the gnarly details of what may happen I was going to give it a shot regardless because I wasn't okay with just dying at the time.

If it is something you want to do if you still have things you want to pursue then honestly all the other stuff won't really matter to you. At least that is how I felt. It took me a long time to become okay with transplant - years of considering the idea and several weeks of determining whether or not I really wanted to do when it came time for my evaluation.

But again - for me the whole process has been worth it - the meds - the risk of rejection - the risk of infection and the risk of stents have all been worth it because I am alive and have a better quality of life now than I ever did before. Even when I was considered "healthy" on the CF spectrum.

Also to add I was told by my docs that in most transplant cases the individuals that require stents tend to be older - not saying that it won't happen to a younger person just saying the majority of cases fall into the older class of patients.

take Care,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Yes I had a catheter for maybe 5 days post surgery - I had the catheter until I had the epiduryl taken out and I had that until I had the chest tubes removed.

I will be honest and say the worst my pain got on a scale of 1-10 was ..... maybe a 20. For me that lasted one day (2 days post transplant) and it was because they had changed my pain meds and the new med just wasn't effective for me.

As for transplant not being worth it because of rejection, infection, stents and what have you. I haven't had any of those and honestly I was prepared for all of those going into it. I prepared myself for the worst and have honestly had probably one of the best recoveries thus far. I would have another transplant if it was needed but that is me.

I think what it boils down to is what it is worth to you. when I was 20 I probably would have chosen against transplant because I was at that time okay with leaving the world. It would suck for my parents but honestly I was okay with leaving. When I became sick enough to need it I had found my fiance and had things I wanted to pursue in life. I wasn't ready at that point to just say ado. So it didn't really matter to me all the gnarly details of what may happen I was going to give it a shot regardless because I wasn't okay with just dying at the time.

If it is something you want to do if you still have things you want to pursue then honestly all the other stuff won't really matter to you. At least that is how I felt. It took me a long time to become okay with transplant - years of considering the idea and several weeks of determining whether or not I really wanted to do when it came time for my evaluation.

But again - for me the whole process has been worth it - the meds - the risk of rejection - the risk of infection and the risk of stents have all been worth it because I am alive and have a better quality of life now than I ever did before. Even when I was considered "healthy" on the CF spectrum.

Also to add I was told by my docs that in most transplant cases the individuals that require stents tend to be older - not saying that it won't happen to a younger person just saying the majority of cases fall into the older class of patients.

take Care,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

take Care,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

take Care,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

<br />
<br />I will be honest and say the worst my pain got on a scale of 1-10 was ..... maybe a 20. For me that lasted one day (2 days post transplant) and it was because they had changed my pain meds and the new med just wasn't effective for me.
<br />
<br />Overall the pain wasn't bad it was just a nagging thing for a few weeks/months.
<br />
<br />As for transplant not being worth it because of rejection, infection, stents and what have you. I haven't had any of those and honestly I was prepared for all of those going into it. I prepared myself for the worst and have honestly had probably one of the best recoveries thus far. I would have another transplant if it was needed but that is me.
<br />
<br />I think what it boils down to is what it is worth to you. when I was 20 I probably would have chosen against transplant because I was at that time okay with leaving the world. It would suck for my parents but honestly I was okay with leaving. When I became sick enough to need it I had found my fiance and had things I wanted to pursue in life. I wasn't ready at that point to just say ado. So it didn't really matter to me all the gnarly details of what may happen I was going to give it a shot regardless because I wasn't okay with just dying at the time.
<br />
<br />If it is something you want to do if you still have things you want to pursue then honestly all the other stuff won't really matter to you. At least that is how I felt. It took me a long time to become okay with transplant - years of considering the idea and several weeks of determining whether or not I really wanted to do when it came time for my evaluation.
<br />
<br />But again - for me the whole process has been worth it - the meds - the risk of rejection - the risk of infection and the risk of stents have all been worth it because I am alive and have a better quality of life now than I ever did before. Even when I was considered "healthy" on the CF spectrum.
<br />
<br />Also to add I was told by my docs that in most transplant cases the individuals that require stents tend to be older - not saying that it won't happen to a younger person just saying the majority of cases fall into the older class of patients.
<br />
<br />take Care,
<br />Lindsey

M

meggzzie

I've been thinking about Tx a fair bit, not that I need one now, its just something that clearly takes a lot of thinking, and I'd much rather think about it over time, and have my answer ready for when I need it (Cuz who knows how much time you have left when Tx becomes reality?) rather than say 'I need time to think.'

My friends don't understand, I've tried to explain, yet they think I'm worrying myself over nothing. They don't realise that this decision will be one of the biggest decisions of my life.

Right now, I'm for lung transplant - I just want to know what it's like to be able to breathe, without CF in my lungs. I know there's loads of things like rejection and infection that could seriously complicate things and may not give you all the time you'd expected, but at the same time, its gotta be better than the time you would have left without transplant, right?

M

meggzzie

I've been thinking about Tx a fair bit, not that I need one now, its just something that clearly takes a lot of thinking, and I'd much rather think about it over time, and have my answer ready for when I need it (Cuz who knows how much time you have left when Tx becomes reality?) rather than say 'I need time to think.'

My friends don't understand, I've tried to explain, yet they think I'm worrying myself over nothing. They don't realise that this decision will be one of the biggest decisions of my life.

Right now, I'm for lung transplant - I just want to know what it's like to be able to breathe, without CF in my lungs. I know there's loads of things like rejection and infection that could seriously complicate things and may not give you all the time you'd expected, but at the same time, its gotta be better than the time you would have left without transplant, right?

M

meggzzie

M

meggzzie

M

meggzzie

<br />
<br />My friends don't understand, I've tried to explain, yet they think I'm worrying myself over nothing. They don't realise that this decision will be one of the biggest decisions of my life.
<br />
<br />Right now, I'm for lung transplant - I just want to know what it's like to be able to breathe, without CF in my lungs. I know there's loads of things like rejection and infection that could seriously complicate things and may not give you all the time you'd expected, but at the same time, its gotta be better than the time you would have left without transplant, right?

Transplantmommy

Megan,
That's exactly the way that I thought....if I didn't get the transplant, I knew what would happen and it wasn't something that I wanted to think about. I was headed downhill fast and I knew that if I didn't get the transplant, then I would have died within about 6 months or so. I think that the transplant option was much better than that one....even if I only got a year out of it.

Transplantmommy

Megan,
That's exactly the way that I thought....if I didn't get the transplant, I knew what would happen and it wasn't something that I wanted to think about. I was headed downhill fast and I knew that if I didn't get the transplant, then I would have died within about 6 months or so. I think that the transplant option was much better than that one....even if I only got a year out of it.

Transplantmommy

Megan,

Transplantmommy

Megan,

Transplantmommy

Megan,
<br />That's exactly the way that I thought....if I didn't get the transplant, I knew what would happen and it wasn't something that I wanted to think about. I was headed downhill fast and I knew that if I didn't get the transplant, then I would have died within about 6 months or so. I think that the transplant option was much better than that one....even if I only got a year out of it.