Do you think Dr's should be at their patients funerals?

Scottius

Not really. If the doctor and patient happened to be very close, sure. I think it would be odd for my doctor to show up to my funeral, as we don't have a particularly close relationship. It's basically professional.

LisaV also brings up a good point about doctors burning out if they had to always go to funerals of their patients. It would get to be a bit much.

Scottius

Not really. If the doctor and patient happened to be very close, sure. I think it would be odd for my doctor to show up to my funeral, as we don't have a particularly close relationship. It's basically professional.

LisaV also brings up a good point about doctors burning out if they had to always go to funerals of their patients. It would get to be a bit much.

Scottius

Scottius

Scottius

<br />
<br />LisaV also brings up a good point about doctors burning out if they had to always go to funerals of their patients. It would get to be a bit much.

Jane

Digital opinion leader
My first reaction is of course they should attend! My kids' doctor has been our CF doc for 17 years and I would think she would want to be there.

However, realistically (and after reading Lisa Vs answer), it does seem rather selfish to expect that they attend a funeral for every patient they have.

Interesting question.

Jane

Digital opinion leader
My first reaction is of course they should attend! My kids' doctor has been our CF doc for 17 years and I would think she would want to be there.

However, realistically (and after reading Lisa Vs answer), it does seem rather selfish to expect that they attend a funeral for every patient they have.

Interesting question.

Jane

Digital opinion leader

Interesting question.

Jane

Digital opinion leader

Interesting question.

Jane

Digital opinion leader
<br />
<br />However, realistically (and after reading Lisa Vs answer), it does seem rather selfish to expect that they attend a funeral for every patient they have.
<br />
<br />Interesting question.

A

AllansGirl

I think it depends a lot on the relationship the patient (and the patient's family) has with the doctor. If there is no close relationship (like, if it was a recent location to a new CF center), then it may feel inappropriate to the patient's family.

I know that in my experience, though, having my fiance's doctor there was invaluable. He was the only person around for me when Allan went into respiratory failure and was put on a ventilator a week before he actually died. Neither of us had any friends or family around that day. I don't remember if his doctor was actually in the room at the exact moment, as I was really focused on Allan and I don't like to try to remember all the details anyway, but he was there beforehand to explain exactly what was going on, what would happen, the likely time-frame and to get permission to not try to resuscitate (I had to try to translate this to his Russian-speaking father).

But you're asking if they should morally be around. There are going to be some very sad cases where no one else is around, and I think that the doctor should definitely be with their patient in that case (or a close nurse, perhaps), especially if the patient has ever implied that they don't want to be alone at the end. If there's family around, then I think they should keep a bit more distant but try to still be close by to be supportive of the family before and afterward. It did help, even in some small measure, to see his doctor and other hospital staff with tears in their eyes too, and know that his death affected him as well.

I just know that, without his doctors' support I would have been far worse off, emotionally.

As far as funerals go--I don't see why not. Again, I would have to think that what feels right to the family would be the best gauge of what is appropriate. Unless it was some serious medical mistake on the doctor's part that contributed to the death of the patient, I don't see much of a dilemma there. I don't think a doctor should be expected to attend, however...it may not be possible, or the doctor may feel its inappropriate. Allan was closer to his CF doctor in NY than he was to most other people, and seeing her there would have only been a comfort to me (but then, the only people at his funeral were his mother, father, stepfather, my father and me--and the oldest Russian Orthodox priest and nuns ever. I know how well-loved he was and how many friends he had, but it was so depressing that his funeral didn't even show a glimpse of that...)

A

AllansGirl

I think it depends a lot on the relationship the patient (and the patient's family) has with the doctor. If there is no close relationship (like, if it was a recent location to a new CF center), then it may feel inappropriate to the patient's family.

I know that in my experience, though, having my fiance's doctor there was invaluable. He was the only person around for me when Allan went into respiratory failure and was put on a ventilator a week before he actually died. Neither of us had any friends or family around that day. I don't remember if his doctor was actually in the room at the exact moment, as I was really focused on Allan and I don't like to try to remember all the details anyway, but he was there beforehand to explain exactly what was going on, what would happen, the likely time-frame and to get permission to not try to resuscitate (I had to try to translate this to his Russian-speaking father).

But you're asking if they should morally be around. There are going to be some very sad cases where no one else is around, and I think that the doctor should definitely be with their patient in that case (or a close nurse, perhaps), especially if the patient has ever implied that they don't want to be alone at the end. If there's family around, then I think they should keep a bit more distant but try to still be close by to be supportive of the family before and afterward. It did help, even in some small measure, to see his doctor and other hospital staff with tears in their eyes too, and know that his death affected him as well.

I just know that, without his doctors' support I would have been far worse off, emotionally.

As far as funerals go--I don't see why not. Again, I would have to think that what feels right to the family would be the best gauge of what is appropriate. Unless it was some serious medical mistake on the doctor's part that contributed to the death of the patient, I don't see much of a dilemma there. I don't think a doctor should be expected to attend, however...it may not be possible, or the doctor may feel its inappropriate. Allan was closer to his CF doctor in NY than he was to most other people, and seeing her there would have only been a comfort to me (but then, the only people at his funeral were his mother, father, stepfather, my father and me--and the oldest Russian Orthodox priest and nuns ever. I know how well-loved he was and how many friends he had, but it was so depressing that his funeral didn't even show a glimpse of that...)

A

AllansGirl

A

AllansGirl

A

AllansGirl

<br />
<br /> I know that in my experience, though, having my fiance's doctor there was invaluable. He was the only person around for me when Allan went into respiratory failure and was put on a ventilator a week before he actually died. Neither of us had any friends or family around that day. I don't remember if his doctor was actually in the room at the exact moment, as I was really focused on Allan and I don't like to try to remember all the details anyway, but he was there beforehand to explain exactly what was going on, what would happen, the likely time-frame and to get permission to not try to resuscitate (I had to try to translate this to his Russian-speaking father).
<br />
<br />But you're asking if they should morally be around. There are going to be some very sad cases where no one else is around, and I think that the doctor should definitely be with their patient in that case (or a close nurse, perhaps), especially if the patient has ever implied that they don't want to be alone at the end. If there's family around, then I think they should keep a bit more distant but try to still be close by to be supportive of the family before and afterward. It did help, even in some small measure, to see his doctor and other hospital staff with tears in their eyes too, and know that his death affected him as well.
<br />
<br />I just know that, without his doctors' support I would have been far worse off, emotionally.
<br />
<br />As far as funerals go--I don't see why not. Again, I would have to think that what feels right to the family would be the best gauge of what is appropriate. Unless it was some serious medical mistake on the doctor's part that contributed to the death of the patient, I don't see much of a dilemma there. I don't think a doctor should be expected to attend, however...it may not be possible, or the doctor may feel its inappropriate. Allan was closer to his CF doctor in NY than he was to most other people, and seeing her there would have only been a comfort to me (but then, the only people at his funeral were his mother, father, stepfather, my father and me--and the oldest Russian Orthodox priest and nuns ever. I know how well-loved he was and how many friends he had, but it was so depressing that his funeral didn't even show a glimpse of that...)

cdale613

Short answer: No I don't, but I wouldn't mind if mine was.

Long answer: We have to remember that while we have 1, maybe 2 CF doctors to call our own, they usually have dozens of CF patients. I think CF patients (and parents) need to realize that this often creates a one-sided relationship where we feel more emotionally attached to our providers than they are to us. Expecting our CF providers to attend patient funerals, and otherwise be emotionally present for us outside of the clinical/hospital setting is 1) not realistic, 2) not fair to them.

Being a CF physician, particularly a ped, can not be easy. A large percentage (though not all) of your patients get very sick, and many of them die.

To get up and go back to work day in and day out, must be emotionally very difficult, and part of what gives them the ability to do that is their coping skills. We as CF patients (and parents) have to allow them their personal space and respect that being a CF dr. is just their job. We can't expect personal phone calls, chatty emails, or funeral attendance.

Now, if a physician makes the decision to cross some of those boundaries with some/all of their patients, that is their perogative, but I think it is unfair for us to expect that kind of emotional relationship outside of the clinic or hospital setting, or to judge our doctors based on it.

*I would add that I think the same thing goes for CFF staff members.

Chris

m 27 w/CF

cdale613

Long answer: We have to remember that while we have 1, maybe 2 CF doctors to call our own, they usually have dozens of CF patients. I think CF patients (and parents) need to realize that this often creates a one-sided relationship where we feel more emotionally attached to our providers than they are to us. Expecting our CF providers to attend patient funerals, and otherwise be emotionally present for us outside of the clinical/hospital setting is 1) not realistic, 2) not fair to them.

Being a CF physician, particularly a ped, can not be easy. A large percentage (though not all) of your patients get very sick, and many of them die.

To get up and go back to work day in and day out, must be emotionally very difficult, and part of what gives them the ability to do that is their coping skills. We as CF patients (and parents) have to allow them their personal space and respect that being a CF dr. is just their job. We can't expect personal phone calls, chatty emails, or funeral attendance.

Now, if a physician makes the decision to cross some of those boundaries with some/all of their patients, that is their perogative, but I think it is unfair for us to expect that kind of emotional relationship outside of the clinic or hospital setting, or to judge our doctors based on it.

Chris

m 27 w/CF

cdale613

Chris

m 27 w/CF

cdale613

Chris

m 27 w/CF

cdale613

<br />
<br />Long answer: We have to remember that while we have 1, maybe 2 CF doctors to call our own, they usually have dozens of CF patients. I think CF patients (and parents) need to realize that this often creates a one-sided relationship where we feel more emotionally attached to our providers than they are to us. Expecting our CF providers to attend patient funerals, and otherwise be emotionally present for us outside of the clinical/hospital setting is 1) not realistic, 2) not fair to them.
<br />
<br />Being a CF physician, particularly a ped, can not be easy. A large percentage (though not all) of your patients get very sick, and many of them die.
<br />
<br />To get up and go back to work day in and day out, must be emotionally very difficult, and part of what gives them the ability to do that is their coping skills. We as CF patients (and parents) have to allow them their personal space and respect that being a CF dr. is just their job. We can't expect personal phone calls, chatty emails, or funeral attendance.
<br />
<br />Now, if a physician makes the decision to cross some of those boundaries with some/all of their patients, that is their perogative, but I think it is unfair for us to expect that kind of emotional relationship outside of the clinic or hospital setting, or to judge our doctors based on it.
<br />
<br />*I would add that I think the same thing goes for CFF staff members.
<br />
<br />Chris
<br />
<br />
<br />m 27 w/CF
<br />