Exercise, and cystic fibrosis

Nightwriter

Hi Melissa,

I am so glad that you love the Zumba madness. My experience is so much like yours. Mentally dividing the workouts into songs to pace myself, knowing which songs are fast or more difficult vs. the lighter ones.

What I love about Zumba is on days that I feel good, I leave with my hair totally drenched and on the days after an exacerbation, I don't work out as hard or might even sit out a song -- and my teacher knows me and will help me pace. That is what is so great about taking classes. The good teachers can really tailor the workout for YOU.

The other thing that I noticed is that if I do the class in the morning when I am more likely sometimes to be SOB, my lungs open halfway through through the class -- which is normal according to my doctor. Unless of course if someone had exercise induced asthma.

Zumba rocks.

This year I had my highest FEV1 in probably over 15 years at least. The only thing that I've been doing differently THIS year is Zumba where my heart rate is up for a long time as opposed to previous years' workouts where my heart rate was up in much smaller spurts. This is not to suggest that exercise alone is enough. Always a combination of everything.

Nightwriter

Hi Melissa,

I am so glad that you love the Zumba madness. My experience is so much like yours. Mentally dividing the workouts into songs to pace myself, knowing which songs are fast or more difficult vs. the lighter ones.

What I love about Zumba is on days that I feel good, I leave with my hair totally drenched and on the days after an exacerbation, I don't work out as hard or might even sit out a song -- and my teacher knows me and will help me pace. That is what is so great about taking classes. The good teachers can really tailor the workout for YOU.

The other thing that I noticed is that if I do the class in the morning when I am more likely sometimes to be SOB, my lungs open halfway through through the class -- which is normal according to my doctor. Unless of course if someone had exercise induced asthma.

Zumba rocks.

This year I had my highest FEV1 in probably over 15 years at least. The only thing that I've been doing differently THIS year is Zumba where my heart rate is up for a long time as opposed to previous years' workouts where my heart rate was up in much smaller spurts. This is not to suggest that exercise alone is enough. Always a combination of everything.

Nightwriter

Hi Melissa,

Zumba rocks.

Nightwriter

Hi Melissa,

Zumba rocks.

Nightwriter

Hi Melissa,
<br />
<br />I am so glad that you love the Zumba madness. My experience is so much like yours. Mentally dividing the workouts into songs to pace myself, knowing which songs are fast or more difficult vs. the lighter ones.
<br />
<br />What I love about Zumba is on days that I feel good, I leave with my hair totally drenched and on the days after an exacerbation, I don't work out as hard or might even sit out a song -- and my teacher knows me and will help me pace. That is what is so great about taking classes. The good teachers can really tailor the workout for YOU.
<br />
<br />The other thing that I noticed is that if I do the class in the morning when I am more likely sometimes to be SOB, my lungs open halfway through through the class -- which is normal according to my doctor. Unless of course if someone had exercise induced asthma.
<br />
<br />Zumba rocks.
<br />
<br />This year I had my highest FEV1 in probably over 15 years at least. The only thing that I've been doing differently THIS year is Zumba where my heart rate is up for a long time as opposed to previous years' workouts where my heart rate was up in much smaller spurts. This is not to suggest that exercise alone is enough. Always a combination of everything.

B

bethylove

Just my two cents... to add extra calories without downing BigMacs left and right, I would try to do something like adding 1 tbs of Heavy Whipping Cream to my glass of milk, or 1 tsp. of olive oil over my pasta before I put on my sauce (you can hardly notice it's there and it adds something like 14 grams of fat!) but that's really all I got. =) Eat what makes you feel good and just add a little 'extra' to what you can.

B

bethylove

Just my two cents... to add extra calories without downing BigMacs left and right, I would try to do something like adding 1 tbs of Heavy Whipping Cream to my glass of milk, or 1 tsp. of olive oil over my pasta before I put on my sauce (you can hardly notice it's there and it adds something like 14 grams of fat!) but that's really all I got. =) Eat what makes you feel good and just add a little 'extra' to what you can.

B

bethylove

B

bethylove

B

bethylove

caccomando

I had to respond to this just because I love working out and I attribute my very good health to it. I have cystic fibrosis but I push myself everyday to run, do some type of other cardio or at least put in my Bosu ball DVD! There are days when I'm exhausted but if I don't work out, I don't feel as well. On days that I do work out, I feel amazing. I'm actually going to attempt running the Chicago marathon this year! My PFTs could be better, but my doctors say they would be much worse if stopped exercising.

Also, to add to what other people were saying about eating. Just eat more! We CFers should be thankful that we can pretty much eat whatever we want...I brag about it to my friends all the time! I drink a lot of protein shakes and that seems to keep my weight in line.

Keep up exercising!

caccomando

I had to respond to this just because I love working out and I attribute my very good health to it. I have cystic fibrosis but I push myself everyday to run, do some type of other cardio or at least put in my Bosu ball DVD! There are days when I'm exhausted but if I don't work out, I don't feel as well. On days that I do work out, I feel amazing. I'm actually going to attempt running the Chicago marathon this year! My PFTs could be better, but my doctors say they would be much worse if stopped exercising.

Also, to add to what other people were saying about eating. Just eat more! We CFers should be thankful that we can pretty much eat whatever we want...I brag about it to my friends all the time! I drink a lot of protein shakes and that seems to keep my weight in line.

Keep up exercising!

caccomando

Keep up exercising!

caccomando

Keep up exercising!

caccomando

<br />
<br />Also, to add to what other people were saying about eating. Just eat more! We CFers should be thankful that we can pretty much eat whatever we want...I brag about it to my friends all the time! I drink a lot of protein shakes and that seems to keep my weight in line.
<br />
<br />Keep up exercising!

Melissa75

Administrator
Nightwriter,

I joined a new gym because it had more Zumba and also Middle Eastern Belly Dance and NYC Ballet workout. My old gym was quiet, empty and private. This NYSC which I go to now is cheaper with more classes, but every class is PACKED. No tailoring nothing to individuals here. I am often squeezed btw the yoga mats, side mirror and 50 other people. Plus, there is some sort of seniority system there, whereby no matter when you arrive, if you are one of about 10 ladies, you get a front row spot. No kidding. I could stand in the front row at 10 min til class, but invariably one of these women will arrive and just get right in front of me. I am too chicken to fight it out and earn a bad rap among the bunch. Seriously, they could smother me with their implants. Oh well. I have developed laser vision to see diagonal and through 5 rows of people to learn the routine. This gym has about 4-5 different teacher for Zumba though, so it is definitely a brain workout every time too.

Melissa75

Administrator
Nightwriter,

I joined a new gym because it had more Zumba and also Middle Eastern Belly Dance and NYC Ballet workout. My old gym was quiet, empty and private. This NYSC which I go to now is cheaper with more classes, but every class is PACKED. No tailoring nothing to individuals here. I am often squeezed btw the yoga mats, side mirror and 50 other people. Plus, there is some sort of seniority system there, whereby no matter when you arrive, if you are one of about 10 ladies, you get a front row spot. No kidding. I could stand in the front row at 10 min til class, but invariably one of these women will arrive and just get right in front of me. I am too chicken to fight it out and earn a bad rap among the bunch. Seriously, they could smother me with their implants. Oh well. I have developed laser vision to see diagonal and through 5 rows of people to learn the routine. This gym has about 4-5 different teacher for Zumba though, so it is definitely a brain workout every time too.

Melissa75

Administrator
Nightwriter,

Melissa75

Administrator
Nightwriter,

Melissa75

Administrator
Nightwriter,
<br />
<br />I joined a new gym because it had more Zumba and also Middle Eastern Belly Dance and NYC Ballet workout. My old gym was quiet, empty and private. This NYSC which I go to now is cheaper with more classes, but every class is PACKED. No tailoring nothing to individuals here. I am often squeezed btw the yoga mats, side mirror and 50 other people. Plus, there is some sort of seniority system there, whereby no matter when you arrive, if you are one of about 10 ladies, you get a front row spot. No kidding. I could stand in the front row at 10 min til class, but invariably one of these women will arrive and just get right in front of me. I am too chicken to fight it out and earn a bad rap among the bunch. Seriously, they could smother me with their implants. Oh well. I have developed laser vision to see diagonal and through 5 rows of people to learn the routine. This gym has about 4-5 different teacher for Zumba though, so it is definitely a brain workout every time too.