female related

littletally

I am just wondering how those work and if anyone has had problems with them. I do not have one and we are currently using a diaphram because I cannot take birth control pills anymore.
The thought of an IUD kind of creeps me out but to tell you the truth we are not so compliant using a diaphram.
So any info on the subject would be greatly appreciated!!

Nikki 30/cf
Impatiently waiting to adopt our first child!

littletally

I am just wondering how those work and if anyone has had problems with them. I do not have one and we are currently using a diaphram because I cannot take birth control pills anymore.
The thought of an IUD kind of creeps me out but to tell you the truth we are not so compliant using a diaphram.

Nikki 30/cf

littletally

Nikki 30/cf

littletally

Nikki 30/cf

littletally

<br />The thought of an IUD kind of creeps me out but to tell you the truth we are not so compliant using a diaphram.
<br />So any info on the subject would be greatly appreciated!!
<br />
<br />Nikki 30/cf
<br />Impatiently waiting to adopt our first child!

hmw

I used a copper IUD for a while, because I do not do well with BCP at all (had tried several varieties) so wanted something non-hormonal but more reliable than barrier methods. They are, generally speaking, recommended for women who have had at least one child but if you know for sure you will not be carrying a child due to your health & circumstances it might be an option your obgyn mentions.

I understand your feeling 'creeped out'. I felt the same way. Insertion turned out to NOT be the big deal I was afraid it would be; it took literally less than a minute and I felt only a small pinch when they numbed the cervix and mild cramping afterwards for a little while. They show it to you beforehand and when you see how small it is, that helps you feel better about it. I imagine the Mirena (the hormone-releasing IUD) would be similar in size & procedure used for insertion as well.

In our case it wasn't the best choice. Unfortunately, every form of bc has a failure rate; I got pregnant while using it and miscarried (and expelled the IUD while miscarrying.) I did not opt to try one again.

hmw

I used a copper IUD for a while, because I do not do well with BCP at all (had tried several varieties) so wanted something non-hormonal but more reliable than barrier methods. They are, generally speaking, recommended for women who have had at least one child but if you know for sure you will not be carrying a child due to your health & circumstances it might be an option your obgyn mentions.

I understand your feeling 'creeped out'. I felt the same way. Insertion turned out to NOT be the big deal I was afraid it would be; it took literally less than a minute and I felt only a small pinch when they numbed the cervix and mild cramping afterwards for a little while. They show it to you beforehand and when you see how small it is, that helps you feel better about it. I imagine the Mirena (the hormone-releasing IUD) would be similar in size & procedure used for insertion as well.

In our case it wasn't the best choice. Unfortunately, every form of bc has a failure rate; I got pregnant while using it and miscarried (and expelled the IUD while miscarrying.) I did not opt to try one again.

hmw

hmw

hmw

<br />
<br />I understand your feeling 'creeped out'. I felt the same way. Insertion turned out to NOT be the big deal I was afraid it would be; it took literally less than a minute and I felt only a small pinch when they numbed the cervix and mild cramping afterwards for a little while. They show it to you beforehand and when you see how small it is, that helps you feel better about it. I imagine the Mirena (the hormone-releasing IUD) would be similar in size & procedure used for insertion as well.
<br />
<br />In our case it wasn't the best choice. Unfortunately, every form of bc has a failure rate; I got pregnant while using it and miscarried (and expelled the IUD while miscarrying.) I did not opt to try one again.

ashmomo

I had the Mirena placed several months ago. (about 9?) Placement was simple in the doctors office, very little pain (like a cramp) only for a minute during placement. Spotting for a while after. Never a full period to this day yet. Just some spotting. VERY satisfied so far with this. It is good for 5 years and effective right after placement. Never asked HOW it comes out??

Hope this helps!

ashmomo

I had the Mirena placed several months ago. (about 9?) Placement was simple in the doctors office, very little pain (like a cramp) only for a minute during placement. Spotting for a while after. Never a full period to this day yet. Just some spotting. VERY satisfied so far with this. It is good for 5 years and effective right after placement. Never asked HOW it comes out??

Hope this helps!

ashmomo

Hope this helps!

ashmomo

Hope this helps!

ashmomo

<br />
<br />Hope this helps!

MamatoAlexa

I had a Mirena placed nearly a year ago. Having it put in was no big deal at all. Pretty much like an annual exam.
My understanding is they are a bit easier to insert into a woman who has had a child. Then again I am sure many, many women who have had planned C-sections (cervix never gets a chance to dilate to birt the child)get IUDs so it cannot be that much of an ease of insertion issue. My OB/GYN said they are becoming pretty "popular" with younger girls who know they do not want children for years to come and do not want to think about birth control every day.

I have had some more asthma like symptoms since having the IUD put it. The hormones in Mirena work to thicken the cervical mucus whichs begs the question, could the hormones thicken the lung mucus as well? I am really happy with my IUD. I had some light spotting for the first three months and nothing since then. I LOVE not having a period. The only way I will know if the asthma stuff is linked to the IUD is to have it taken out and I do not really want to do that unless I totally have to!

I was never really creeped out by the thought of the IUD. I never even think about it now that it is in.

MamatoAlexa

I had a Mirena placed nearly a year ago. Having it put in was no big deal at all. Pretty much like an annual exam.
My understanding is they are a bit easier to insert into a woman who has had a child. Then again I am sure many, many women who have had planned C-sections (cervix never gets a chance to dilate to birt the child)get IUDs so it cannot be that much of an ease of insertion issue. My OB/GYN said they are becoming pretty "popular" with younger girls who know they do not want children for years to come and do not want to think about birth control every day.

I have had some more asthma like symptoms since having the IUD put it. The hormones in Mirena work to thicken the cervical mucus whichs begs the question, could the hormones thicken the lung mucus as well? I am really happy with my IUD. I had some light spotting for the first three months and nothing since then. I LOVE not having a period. The only way I will know if the asthma stuff is linked to the IUD is to have it taken out and I do not really want to do that unless I totally have to!

I was never really creeped out by the thought of the IUD. I never even think about it now that it is in.

MamatoAlexa

MamatoAlexa

MamatoAlexa

<br />My understanding is they are a bit easier to insert into a woman who has had a child. Then again I am sure many, many women who have had planned C-sections (cervix never gets a chance to dilate to birt the child)get IUDs so it cannot be that much of an ease of insertion issue. My OB/GYN said they are becoming pretty "popular" with younger girls who know they do not want children for years to come and do not want to think about birth control every day.
<br />
<br />I have had some more asthma like symptoms since having the IUD put it. The hormones in Mirena work to thicken the cervical mucus whichs begs the question, could the hormones thicken the lung mucus as well? I am really happy with my IUD. I had some light spotting for the first three months and nothing since then. I LOVE not having a period. The only way I will know if the asthma stuff is linked to the IUD is to have it taken out and I do not really want to do that unless I totally have to!
<br />
<br />I was never really creeped out by the thought of the IUD. I never even think about it now that it is in.