Financial Problems

A

Aspiemom

kristoffer, you can vent to us anytime. We definitely understand what you're talking about. When I hear others complain about having to pay $50 a mo. for a prescription and that's their only prescription I could scream. It's not their fault, but there really should be some government/health insurance help for anyone with a CF dx. Either our treatment cost less or Where there is a limit to what we pay, SOMETHING.

I know there are others with other diseases that have the same problem. It's terrible when people have to make a decision between medication/treatment or eating; or medication/treatment or dying. We were saying yesterday "What do people who work min. wage do? How can they even pay basic bills, let alone health insur. and med. bills?"

A

Aspiemom

kristoffer, you can vent to us anytime. We definitely understand what you're talking about. When I hear others complain about having to pay $50 a mo. for a prescription and that's their only prescription I could scream. It's not their fault, but there really should be some government/health insurance help for anyone with a CF dx. Either our treatment cost less or Where there is a limit to what we pay, SOMETHING.

I know there are others with other diseases that have the same problem. It's terrible when people have to make a decision between medication/treatment or eating; or medication/treatment or dying. We were saying yesterday "What do people who work min. wage do? How can they even pay basic bills, let alone health insur. and med. bills?"

A

Aspiemom

A

Aspiemom

A

Aspiemom

JORDYSMOM

I'm in the same sinking boat! Jordan's surgery required me to be off work, and I even lost my job due to it. So many co-pays, and out of network problems to deal with! We recently changed insurance, and the new one is much easier to afford, but there are so many past bills. I completely understand your situation.

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

I'm in the same sinking boat! Jordan's surgery required me to be off work, and I even lost my job due to it. So many co-pays, and out of network problems to deal with! We recently changed insurance, and the new one is much easier to afford, but there are so many past bills. I completely understand your situation.

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

Stacey

cdale613

bagged2drag,

I'm just wondering which state you live in? Some states have programs for working adults with CF that aren't based on how much you make.

For example,here is information about NY's adult CF program: <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.health.state.ny.us/diseases/cystic_fibrosis/docs/acfap_facts.pdf">http://www.health.state.ny.us/...s/docs/acfap_facts.pdf</a>

I am not sure, but I think that CA and FL may have similar programs. How tied to your current location are you? Would you ever consider moving to any state with more generous social services?

Just thoughts.. you are in a tough spot, and I can relate to your situation very much. Fortunately I don't have the crushing medical debt, but as many people here, every choice I've made over the last 10 years has been based on my insurance coverage, etc.

Another thought... marriage... if you were married, would your wife's benefits be better than your current medical insurance package?? Once married, you could be her dependent, which might stop the problem from getting worse.

I know its tough to think about saddling her with some of your credit baggage, but if you are already planning your lives as a unit, its going to come up anyway. If you are committed enough to marry her already, and she feels the same about you, its possible that marriage might help you a lot financially... If you are not living together, living as a couple would cut rent in half; maybe you don't need two cars, and can get by with just one; etc. Again, knowing nothing about your current arrangements makes it hard to say.

Also, I would not advocate rushing into marriage for the possible fringe financial benefits... that would be a horrible idea.

Best,

Chris

m. 27 w/CF

cdale613

bagged2drag,

I'm just wondering which state you live in? Some states have programs for working adults with CF that aren't based on how much you make.

For example,here is information about NY's adult CF program: <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.health.state.ny.us/diseases/cystic_fibrosis/docs/acfap_facts.pdf">http://www.health.state.ny.us/...s/docs/acfap_facts.pdf</a>

I am not sure, but I think that CA and FL may have similar programs. How tied to your current location are you? Would you ever consider moving to any state with more generous social services?

Just thoughts.. you are in a tough spot, and I can relate to your situation very much. Fortunately I don't have the crushing medical debt, but as many people here, every choice I've made over the last 10 years has been based on my insurance coverage, etc.

Another thought... marriage... if you were married, would your wife's benefits be better than your current medical insurance package?? Once married, you could be her dependent, which might stop the problem from getting worse.

I know its tough to think about saddling her with some of your credit baggage, but if you are already planning your lives as a unit, its going to come up anyway. If you are committed enough to marry her already, and she feels the same about you, its possible that marriage might help you a lot financially... If you are not living together, living as a couple would cut rent in half; maybe you don't need two cars, and can get by with just one; etc. Again, knowing nothing about your current arrangements makes it hard to say.

Also, I would not advocate rushing into marriage for the possible fringe financial benefits... that would be a horrible idea.

Best,

Chris

m. 27 w/CF

cdale613

bagged2drag,

Best,

Chris

m. 27 w/CF

cdale613

bagged2drag,

Best,

Chris

m. 27 w/CF

cdale613

bagged2drag,

Best,

Chris

m. 27 w/CF

bagged2drag

Well, I do have the Wisconsin Chronic Disease Program now as a supplemental insurance to my current insurance. I finally decided I should pick it up "just in case" of any other insurance problems. My old insurance was not so bad, aside from my premium at work, it was 1800 out of pocket max a year. The state supplemental insurance (based on my income) was about the same, so I chose not to get it at the time. My insurance decided to deny a couple claims and I fought with them for a bit over 2 years. Finally, they decided they should have paid them due to their mistake, but here is the kicker... there is a 2 year limitation (per law) and after that the insurance company doesn't have to pay the claim. So after all that fighting, the insurance company told me they wont pay after all. there I was, stuck with the bill. The second large round of bills went to when I had a tune up. I had gotten laid off from my job and lost my insurance. After they called me back, I got the insurance back again. Well, I had to get a tune up, and I called to make sure I was past my pre-existing clause. They told me yes. Well, I had the tune up, came home on IV's. Ended up finding out after the bill, and after I had called, that my preexisting clause hadnt been met. There I was, almost 20 grand in the hole. The bad part, the whole predicament with the insurance company with the first bill and the tune up that I had to pay for all fell within about a months period. Add that to some smaller bills that they wouldn't pay for this reason or that, and the bills I was responsible for, and the little bit I was working, and it all just added up. Then, last year, the company I was at announced they were closing, and I needed to switch jobs. There were few good jobs where I was living so I took a job here in Milwaukee. It was a good company that had fairly good benefits, so I took the job. I started in October, had a 3 month waiting period to get hired, then a 30 day period after that to get insurance. Needless to say, the company hacked their insurance benefits in half after the new year, so by the time I got my insurance, the benefits sucked ($3200 out of pocket max). I had kept up COBRA from my previous job, so at least there was no preexisting clause. But still, I had one tune up and thats what it cost me. I ended up leaving the company fairly quick because of it. I picked up the state insurance, but that was after the tune up, which couldn't wait. I then had to have a surgery too, so I missed out on a month and a half income on top of all that. My new job has a 300 deductible and 300 out of pocket max (total 600) and then co-pays on the prescriptions. I am now KEEPING the state supplemental insurance too, so that helps with some co-pays. Now it will cost me about 1000 a year plus anything little I need (about 100 month average). Thats not too bad, but all the old bills are around 30,000 after negotiating them down. Thats all within the last 6 years.

bagged2drag

Well, I do have the Wisconsin Chronic Disease Program now as a supplemental insurance to my current insurance. I finally decided I should pick it up "just in case" of any other insurance problems. My old insurance was not so bad, aside from my premium at work, it was 1800 out of pocket max a year. The state supplemental insurance (based on my income) was about the same, so I chose not to get it at the time. My insurance decided to deny a couple claims and I fought with them for a bit over 2 years. Finally, they decided they should have paid them due to their mistake, but here is the kicker... there is a 2 year limitation (per law) and after that the insurance company doesn't have to pay the claim. So after all that fighting, the insurance company told me they wont pay after all. there I was, stuck with the bill. The second large round of bills went to when I had a tune up. I had gotten laid off from my job and lost my insurance. After they called me back, I got the insurance back again. Well, I had to get a tune up, and I called to make sure I was past my pre-existing clause. They told me yes. Well, I had the tune up, came home on IV's. Ended up finding out after the bill, and after I had called, that my preexisting clause hadnt been met. There I was, almost 20 grand in the hole. The bad part, the whole predicament with the insurance company with the first bill and the tune up that I had to pay for all fell within about a months period. Add that to some smaller bills that they wouldn't pay for this reason or that, and the bills I was responsible for, and the little bit I was working, and it all just added up. Then, last year, the company I was at announced they were closing, and I needed to switch jobs. There were few good jobs where I was living so I took a job here in Milwaukee. It was a good company that had fairly good benefits, so I took the job. I started in October, had a 3 month waiting period to get hired, then a 30 day period after that to get insurance. Needless to say, the company hacked their insurance benefits in half after the new year, so by the time I got my insurance, the benefits sucked ($3200 out of pocket max). I had kept up COBRA from my previous job, so at least there was no preexisting clause. But still, I had one tune up and thats what it cost me. I ended up leaving the company fairly quick because of it. I picked up the state insurance, but that was after the tune up, which couldn't wait. I then had to have a surgery too, so I missed out on a month and a half income on top of all that. My new job has a 300 deductible and 300 out of pocket max (total 600) and then co-pays on the prescriptions. I am now KEEPING the state supplemental insurance too, so that helps with some co-pays. Now it will cost me about 1000 a year plus anything little I need (about 100 month average). Thats not too bad, but all the old bills are around 30,000 after negotiating them down. Thats all within the last 6 years.

bagged2drag

bagged2drag

bagged2drag