For the mothers to CFers.

jbrandonAW

I asked this in another foruma but I wasn't sure who would see it so Im going to post it here too.

I am curious as to how many mommas are breastfeeding there CF babies, or have breastfed them. Did you exclusivly breastfeed? How long? Do you think it has helped better there health? Did you notice less GI problems? Does your doctor push you to formula feed?

If you didnt breastfeed, why not? Do you wish you would have?

Anything else feel free to add.

jbrandonAW

I asked this in another foruma but I wasn't sure who would see it so Im going to post it here too.

I am curious as to how many mommas are breastfeeding there CF babies, or have breastfed them. Did you exclusivly breastfeed? How long? Do you think it has helped better there health? Did you notice less GI problems? Does your doctor push you to formula feed?

jbrandonAW

jbrandonAW

jbrandonAW

<br />
<br />I am curious as to how many mommas are breastfeeding there CF babies, or have breastfed them. Did you exclusivly breastfeed? How long? Do you think it has helped better there health? Did you notice less GI problems? Does your doctor push you to formula feed?
<br />
<br />If you didnt breastfeed, why not? Do you wish you would have?
<br />
<br />Anything else feel free to add.

M

Mommafirst

Hi Jessica,

I breastfed all three of my kids, including my dd w/CF. My daughter was born pancreatic sufficient and didn't go on enzymes until after she was weaned at 13 months, and is still "technically" pancreatic sufficient, but very close to the line between insufficient and sufficient so we know she is probably headed that way.

None of our doctor's pushed us to formula feed, but the nutritionist did ask us to "up" the calories of breastmilk with a scoop of formula. I didn't do it because none of my kids were very good with the bottle, and my dd went from the breast to a sippy cup.

My daughter is in very good health. All of my kids are. I'd like to take credit for that health by saying its because I breastfed, but I'm really not sure that it isn't just good luck.

I'm a big believer in breast milk, but I also understand that everyone does what they have to do. I don't judge anyone for their choices, but believe in my heart that breastmilk was best for my CF daughter and my non-CF boys alike.

M

Mommafirst

Hi Jessica,

I breastfed all three of my kids, including my dd w/CF. My daughter was born pancreatic sufficient and didn't go on enzymes until after she was weaned at 13 months, and is still "technically" pancreatic sufficient, but very close to the line between insufficient and sufficient so we know she is probably headed that way.

None of our doctor's pushed us to formula feed, but the nutritionist did ask us to "up" the calories of breastmilk with a scoop of formula. I didn't do it because none of my kids were very good with the bottle, and my dd went from the breast to a sippy cup.

My daughter is in very good health. All of my kids are. I'd like to take credit for that health by saying its because I breastfed, but I'm really not sure that it isn't just good luck.

I'm a big believer in breast milk, but I also understand that everyone does what they have to do. I don't judge anyone for their choices, but believe in my heart that breastmilk was best for my CF daughter and my non-CF boys alike.

M

Mommafirst

Hi Jessica,

M

Mommafirst

Hi Jessica,

M

Mommafirst

Hi Jessica,
<br />
<br />I breastfed all three of my kids, including my dd w/CF. My daughter was born pancreatic sufficient and didn't go on enzymes until after she was weaned at 13 months, and is still "technically" pancreatic sufficient, but very close to the line between insufficient and sufficient so we know she is probably headed that way.
<br />
<br />None of our doctor's pushed us to formula feed, but the nutritionist did ask us to "up" the calories of breastmilk with a scoop of formula. I didn't do it because none of my kids were very good with the bottle, and my dd went from the breast to a sippy cup.
<br />
<br />My daughter is in very good health. All of my kids are. I'd like to take credit for that health by saying its because I breastfed, but I'm really not sure that it isn't just good luck.
<br />
<br />I'm a big believer in breast milk, but I also understand that everyone does what they have to do. I don't judge anyone for their choices, but believe in my heart that breastmilk was best for my CF daughter and my non-CF boys alike.

C

Cherylwithone

Well, My first born does'nt have CF and was not breastfed. I was active duty Navy at the time and because I was in Korea working 12hr days or more it just was'nt an option.

My second child fast forward was breastfed and yes she has CF. I was breasfeeding her because my son had food allergies and I was trying to avoid them with number 2. She was breastfed only her first year then badyfood and breastfed followed. Nursed her till 3. She would not give it up. She has allergies. So, that did'nt work. She has been sick all her life and he is never sick. (knock wood) I think because she has CF and other medical problems it had nothing to do with breastfeeding. It is just how the cards played out. There is nothing I would change. If nothing else it is the bonding when breast feeding a baby.

I also used a midwife on her and a doctor on him. Loved the midwife. Drug free delivery. SHe was on 02 at delivery but just for a very short time.

Cheryl mom to Malora 15 w/CF

C

Cherylwithone

Well, My first born does'nt have CF and was not breastfed. I was active duty Navy at the time and because I was in Korea working 12hr days or more it just was'nt an option.

My second child fast forward was breastfed and yes she has CF. I was breasfeeding her because my son had food allergies and I was trying to avoid them with number 2. She was breastfed only her first year then badyfood and breastfed followed. Nursed her till 3. She would not give it up. She has allergies. So, that did'nt work. She has been sick all her life and he is never sick. (knock wood) I think because she has CF and other medical problems it had nothing to do with breastfeeding. It is just how the cards played out. There is nothing I would change. If nothing else it is the bonding when breast feeding a baby.

I also used a midwife on her and a doctor on him. Loved the midwife. Drug free delivery. SHe was on 02 at delivery but just for a very short time.

C

Cherylwithone

C

Cherylwithone

C

Cherylwithone

<br />
<br />My second child fast forward was breastfed and yes she has CF. I was breasfeeding her because my son had food allergies and I was trying to avoid them with number 2. She was breastfed only her first year then badyfood and breastfed followed. Nursed her till 3. She would not give it up. She has allergies. So, that did'nt work. She has been sick all her life and he is never sick. (knock wood) I think because she has CF and other medical problems it had nothing to do with breastfeeding. It is just how the cards played out. There is nothing I would change. If nothing else it is the bonding when breast feeding a baby.
<br />
<br />I also used a midwife on her and a doctor on him. Loved the midwife. Drug free delivery. SHe was on 02 at delivery but just for a very short time.
<br />
<br />Cheryl mom to Malora 15 w/CF

kitomd21

My doctor has me "fortifying" my breast milk with a scoop of formula...she's always been gassy with yellow pudding-like stools and no change after beginning the enzymes...not sure what that means. We're meeting with the CF doctors next week. I was curious if she's been allergic to my breast milk (a very slight possibility) as the enzymes haven't improved stool consistency...

kitomd21

My doctor has me "fortifying" my breast milk with a scoop of formula...she's always been gassy with yellow pudding-like stools and no change after beginning the enzymes...not sure what that means. We're meeting with the CF doctors next week. I was curious if she's been allergic to my breast milk (a very slight possibility) as the enzymes haven't improved stool consistency...

kitomd21

kitomd21

kitomd21