For Women Post TX

summer732

Kim you are not alone!!! I just went through this from about a year after my transplant, it got better, then just this May it happened all over again.

I was constantly bleeding...very heavy periods...and it was all the time. Not to mention that if I 'did the deed' it looked like a murder scene! I had my period straight from May until September. My transplant doctors wanted to help but they had no clue what was going on (I just wanted some clue as to whether or not meds could cause this or if something else not gynecological was going on that was causing this side effect of constantly bleeding).

I found a new gynecologist who examined me and said that basically the first layers of my cervix were all mucous cells. These cells are extremely friable and shed and cause bleeding. They are also thick making the blood from my uterus almost backed up. And I would also she blood clots. He did discuss the possibility of a partial hysterctomy (but I wanted some other options before that). So we tried a cervical freezing...that did nothing. Then he put me in for the LEEP procedure where he cut out most of my cervix.

Problem solved!! My periods are normal and I no longer bleed during other activities.

You can PM me if you want more info. I understand your frustration. I literally felt like I was going insane this summer and felt like none of my doctors were helping me.

Good luck! Hope this helped.

summer732

Kim you are not alone!!! I just went through this from about a year after my transplant, it got better, then just this May it happened all over again.

I was constantly bleeding...very heavy periods...and it was all the time. Not to mention that if I 'did the deed' it looked like a murder scene! I had my period straight from May until September. My transplant doctors wanted to help but they had no clue what was going on (I just wanted some clue as to whether or not meds could cause this or if something else not gynecological was going on that was causing this side effect of constantly bleeding).

I found a new gynecologist who examined me and said that basically the first layers of my cervix were all mucous cells. These cells are extremely friable and shed and cause bleeding. They are also thick making the blood from my uterus almost backed up. And I would also she blood clots. He did discuss the possibility of a partial hysterctomy (but I wanted some other options before that). So we tried a cervical freezing...that did nothing. Then he put me in for the LEEP procedure where he cut out most of my cervix.

Problem solved!! My periods are normal and I no longer bleed during other activities.

You can PM me if you want more info. I understand your frustration. I literally felt like I was going insane this summer and felt like none of my doctors were helping me.

summer732

summer732

summer732

<br />
<br />I was constantly bleeding...very heavy periods...and it was all the time. Not to mention that if I 'did the deed' it looked like a murder scene! I had my period straight from May until September. My transplant doctors wanted to help but they had no clue what was going on (I just wanted some clue as to whether or not meds could cause this or if something else not gynecological was going on that was causing this side effect of constantly bleeding).
<br />
<br />I found a new gynecologist who examined me and said that basically the first layers of my cervix were all mucous cells. These cells are extremely friable and shed and cause bleeding. They are also thick making the blood from my uterus almost backed up. And I would also she blood clots. He did discuss the possibility of a partial hysterctomy (but I wanted some other options before that). So we tried a cervical freezing...that did nothing. Then he put me in for the LEEP procedure where he cut out most of my cervix.
<br />
<br />Problem solved!! My periods are normal and I no longer bleed during other activities.
<br />
<br />You can PM me if you want more info. I understand your frustration. I literally felt like I was going insane this summer and felt like none of my doctors were helping me.
<br />
<br />Good luck! Hope this helped.

coltsfan715

All I can say is thank you for posting this. I have been dealing with this since my transplant as well. My transplant docs tell me they aren't sure why it is happening that it happens with some patients and not others. My gyno told me it was either the CF or the transplant meds. I don't have constant bleeding like tracy mentioned BUT I do get the spotting and light periods every other week or so. I have been on bc meds since I was 18 and never had this problem before. I started getting really sick before my transplant. I thought it was just my health status. Then after I had my transplant it went away for about 3 months and then it just started all over again but worse this time.

For me it hasn't correlated to any meds it just seems to happen every other week or so and lasts for 4 days then stops for a week or two and starts again for 4-5 days.

Thank you again for posting this makes me feel not so alone on this topic it is beyond frustrating.

Lindsey

coltsfan715

All I can say is thank you for posting this. I have been dealing with this since my transplant as well. My transplant docs tell me they aren't sure why it is happening that it happens with some patients and not others. My gyno told me it was either the CF or the transplant meds. I don't have constant bleeding like tracy mentioned BUT I do get the spotting and light periods every other week or so. I have been on bc meds since I was 18 and never had this problem before. I started getting really sick before my transplant. I thought it was just my health status. Then after I had my transplant it went away for about 3 months and then it just started all over again but worse this time.

For me it hasn't correlated to any meds it just seems to happen every other week or so and lasts for 4 days then stops for a week or two and starts again for 4-5 days.

Thank you again for posting this makes me feel not so alone on this topic it is beyond frustrating.

Lindsey

coltsfan715

Lindsey

coltsfan715

Lindsey

coltsfan715

<br />
<br />For me it hasn't correlated to any meds it just seems to happen every other week or so and lasts for 4 days then stops for a week or two and starts again for 4-5 days.
<br />
<br />Thank you again for posting this makes me feel not so alone on this topic it is beyond frustrating.
<br />
<br />Lindsey

summer732

Lindsey

Sometimes BC can be counterproductive for us post tx CF patients as well. One of the things that BC does to prevent pregnancy is make that cervical mucous even more thick. This is clearly soemthing we don't need. So again, all of those cells are sensitive and will bleed. Ask your gyno if you have a cervical ectropian. That is what it was classified as in me.

hope you figure it out!

summer732

Lindsey

Sometimes BC can be counterproductive for us post tx CF patients as well. One of the things that BC does to prevent pregnancy is make that cervical mucous even more thick. This is clearly soemthing we don't need. So again, all of those cells are sensitive and will bleed. Ask your gyno if you have a cervical ectropian. That is what it was classified as in me.

hope you figure it out!

summer732

Lindsey

hope you figure it out!

summer732

Lindsey

hope you figure it out!

summer732

Lindsey
<br />
<br />Sometimes BC can be counterproductive for us post tx CF patients as well. One of the things that BC does to prevent pregnancy is make that cervical mucous even more thick. This is clearly soemthing we don't need. So again, all of those cells are sensitive and will bleed. Ask your gyno if you have a cervical ectropian. That is what it was classified as in me.
<br />
<br />hope you figure it out!

Transplantmommy

Ugh....I am not having that problem but I am having another problem with my cycle. Since the transplant, I have been very regular (I know...no big deal, most women want that). But, my problem is that it comes every 25 days, lasts 7 days, and is very heavy, painful, and I have a lot of clots. My GP is sending me to an OBGYN because she thinks that I may have developed endometriosis since the transplant.

Before the transplant, my periods were irregular (which is why I didn't know that I was pregnant with Brady until I was 9 weeks along), would only last 5 days, were not really that painful, and were light.

Transplantmommy

Ugh....I am not having that problem but I am having another problem with my cycle. Since the transplant, I have been very regular (I know...no big deal, most women want that). But, my problem is that it comes every 25 days, lasts 7 days, and is very heavy, painful, and I have a lot of clots. My GP is sending me to an OBGYN because she thinks that I may have developed endometriosis since the transplant.

Before the transplant, my periods were irregular (which is why I didn't know that I was pregnant with Brady until I was 9 weeks along), would only last 5 days, were not really that painful, and were light.

Transplantmommy

Transplantmommy

Transplantmommy

<br />
<br />Before the transplant, my periods were irregular (which is why I didn't know that I was pregnant with Brady until I was 9 weeks along), would only last 5 days, were not really that painful, and were light.