Frame of mind and CF condition

Faust

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>lightNlife</b></i>

I'm currently in one of the worst depressions I've had in a number of years. Part of that I'm sure stems from the utter frustration I'm having that we can't seem to get this exacerbation under control. There are truly no medical options available for me to try right now other than just stay the course with what we're doing.

I'm struggling mightily with the side effects of the medications, and I wonder with each subsequent infusion whether this is all really worth it. I'm at the point where I can't really tell which came first, the depression or the decline in my health. Very much a chicken and egg experience.</end quote></div>

It's hard to 100% identify what came first in a situation like the typical CF's medical problems. I think both feed into the other. There really is no "which came first" if you think of it. From day one, all of us have either had to deal with an infection, medical procedures to deal with an infection, or depression that was either directly attributed to those first two possibilities, or depression caused from fearing those two first situations into becoming reality.

I would have to say though, regardless what order they come in, one aspect of that equation (all of them being equal) is never a good thing. But I would have to say overall...If I was 100% happy as hell and everything was going fine...If I got sick and then got depressed due to being sick, I would *ALWAYS* get/feel worse.

I think depression highly influences our physical state, regardless which came first.

Faust

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>lightNlife</b></i>

I'm currently in one of the worst depressions I've had in a number of years. Part of that I'm sure stems from the utter frustration I'm having that we can't seem to get this exacerbation under control. There are truly no medical options available for me to try right now other than just stay the course with what we're doing.

I'm struggling mightily with the side effects of the medications, and I wonder with each subsequent infusion whether this is all really worth it. I'm at the point where I can't really tell which came first, the depression or the decline in my health. Very much a chicken and egg experience.</end quote></div>

It's hard to 100% identify what came first in a situation like the typical CF's medical problems. I think both feed into the other. There really is no "which came first" if you think of it. From day one, all of us have either had to deal with an infection, medical procedures to deal with an infection, or depression that was either directly attributed to those first two possibilities, or depression caused from fearing those two first situations into becoming reality.

I would have to say though, regardless what order they come in, one aspect of that equation (all of them being equal) is never a good thing. But I would have to say overall...If I was 100% happy as hell and everything was going fine...If I got sick and then got depressed due to being sick, I would *ALWAYS* get/feel worse.

I think depression highly influences our physical state, regardless which came first.

Faust

Faust

I'm struggling mightily with the side effects of the medications, and I wonder with each subsequent infusion whether this is all really worth it. I'm at the point where I can't really tell which came first, the depression or the decline in my health. Very much a chicken and egg experience.</end quote>

Faust

<br />
<br />I'm currently in one of the worst depressions I've had in a number of years. Part of that I'm sure stems from the utter frustration I'm having that we can't seem to get this exacerbation under control. There are truly no medical options available for me to try right now other than just stay the course with what we're doing.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />I'm struggling mightily with the side effects of the medications, and I wonder with each subsequent infusion whether this is all really worth it. I'm at the point where I can't really tell which came first, the depression or the decline in my health. Very much a chicken and egg experience.</end quote>
<br />
<br />
<br />It's hard to 100% identify what came first in a situation like the typical CF's medical problems. I think both feed into the other. There really is no "which came first" if you think of it. From day one, all of us have either had to deal with an infection, medical procedures to deal with an infection, or depression that was either directly attributed to those first two possibilities, or depression caused from fearing those two first situations into becoming reality.
<br />
<br />
<br />I would have to say though, regardless what order they come in, one aspect of that equation (all of them being equal) is never a good thing. But I would have to say overall...If I was 100% happy as hell and everything was going fine...If I got sick and then got depressed due to being sick, I would *ALWAYS* get/feel worse.
<br />
<br />I think depression highly influences our physical state, regardless which came first.
<br />
<br />

Sevenstars

I feel like this too a lot. Then, now, knowing all you guys, I start to feel worse. Because I start to think about the people with an FEV1 of 30-40% that work full time, and I feel worthless for not currently working. So then it just spirals into more depression. The fact is though, once you start down that path, it's very hard to get out. Because regardless of how it started, it's hard to be happy when you're sick, and it's hard to be well when you're depressed...

The thing that makes me feel the most acute despair though, is coughing spells. Usually when I come back from shopping or something, I have a long way to walk from my car (half a block), and by the time I get to my apartment I'm coughing mightilty and usually throw up. The longer I'm coughing... 15, 30, 45+ minutes, I just start to feel lost, scared, frustrated, and want to throw in the towel really. Then usually around here I count my blessings that I was able to go shopping at all, since some of you guys can't, and tell myself to shut up and stop feeling sorry.

Faust, to answer your original question, I do feel happy and completely content, albeit rarely. Usually when I am on an exercise kick I feel strong and healthy, and CF is nothing more than a "challenge" and a "routine" to keep up. I'd say I feel like that about 2% of the time though. (almost never)

Sevenstars

I feel like this too a lot. Then, now, knowing all you guys, I start to feel worse. Because I start to think about the people with an FEV1 of 30-40% that work full time, and I feel worthless for not currently working. So then it just spirals into more depression. The fact is though, once you start down that path, it's very hard to get out. Because regardless of how it started, it's hard to be happy when you're sick, and it's hard to be well when you're depressed...

The thing that makes me feel the most acute despair though, is coughing spells. Usually when I come back from shopping or something, I have a long way to walk from my car (half a block), and by the time I get to my apartment I'm coughing mightilty and usually throw up. The longer I'm coughing... 15, 30, 45+ minutes, I just start to feel lost, scared, frustrated, and want to throw in the towel really. Then usually around here I count my blessings that I was able to go shopping at all, since some of you guys can't, and tell myself to shut up and stop feeling sorry.

Faust, to answer your original question, I do feel happy and completely content, albeit rarely. Usually when I am on an exercise kick I feel strong and healthy, and CF is nothing more than a "challenge" and a "routine" to keep up. I'd say I feel like that about 2% of the time though. (almost never)

Sevenstars

Sevenstars

I'm struggling mightily with the side effects of the medications, and I wonder with each subsequent infusion whether this is all really worth it. I'm at the point where I can't really tell which came first, the depression or the decline in my health. Very much a chicken and egg experience.</end quote>

Sevenstars

<br />
<br />I'm struggling mightily with the side effects of the medications, and I wonder with each subsequent infusion whether this is all really worth it. I'm at the point where I can't really tell which came first, the depression or the decline in my health. Very much a chicken and egg experience.</end quote>
<br />
<br />I feel like this too a lot. Then, now, knowing all you guys, I start to feel worse. Because I start to think about the people with an FEV1 of 30-40% that work full time, and I feel worthless for not currently working. So then it just spirals into more depression. The fact is though, once you start down that path, it's very hard to get out. Because regardless of how it started, it's hard to be happy when you're sick, and it's hard to be well when you're depressed...
<br />
<br />The thing that makes me feel the most acute despair though, is coughing spells. Usually when I come back from shopping or something, I have a long way to walk from my car (half a block), and by the time I get to my apartment I'm coughing mightilty and usually throw up. The longer I'm coughing... 15, 30, 45+ minutes, I just start to feel lost, scared, frustrated, and want to throw in the towel really. Then usually around here I count my blessings that I was able to go shopping at all, since some of you guys can't, and tell myself to shut up and stop feeling sorry.
<br />
<br />Faust, to answer your original question, I do feel happy and completely content, albeit rarely. Usually when I am on an exercise kick I feel strong and healthy, and CF is nothing more than a "challenge" and a "routine" to keep up. I'd say I feel like that about 2% of the time though. (almost never)
<br />

NYCLawGirl

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Sevenstars</b></i>

I feel like this too a lot. Then, now, knowing all you guys, I start to feel worse. Because I start to think about the people with an FEV1 of 30-40% that work full time, and I feel worthless for not currently working.

This is something I've thought about a lot lately. I am one of those people with very low PFTs that still works full time at a very demanding job, but because of the fact that I'm an attorney, I also get the chance to work pro bono with people (CFers and non-CFers) who are applying for SSI/SSDI benefits. Obviously I never share the details of my own health status with my clients (although if they are CFers I will let them know that we need to be aware of cross-infection issues), but part of my job is reading through their medical files and talking with them about their experiences. Ironically, this often makes me feel bad about myself. They say they feel useless, whereas I am often left feeling like I am pushing myself WAY too hard and damaging my health. I hear people talk about needing to rest, about not stressing themselves out, and about spending hours every day doing extra therapy or exercise, and many of these people have higher lung function than me. I have literally shut the door to my office and broken down in tears on more than one occassion because I feel like I have "failed" myself by pushing through a top 5 law school and taking my dream job at a top national law firm - shouldn't I have spent that energy on my health instead?

The point is, neither path is any more right or wrong than the other. People with CF have a serious disease, and they deserve the chance to be as healthy as possible, which for some means not working so they can really focus on their care and well-being. For others of us, myself included, the need to work is so deep that disability is much more of a last resort. It's not more admirable to work when your body is struggling, and likewise it's not a stupid or self-destructive choice to do so. CF is completely individual, and that goes for all aspects of the disease and care.

As a sidenote, I am so not advocating ignoring your health for a career. I make huge compromises, everyone at my firm knows about my CF so that there are no miscommunications about my needs, and I am compliant with meds and doctor appointments. I even took my IVs along on a business trip last week, infusing at the client's offices. All I mean to say is that I know I wear myself out a little too much, but for me it's worth it.

Sorry for the long post. I've been thinking about this for while, and I think it's crazy what a catch-22 the work issues is for so many CFers.

NYCLawGirl

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Sevenstars</b></i>

I feel like this too a lot. Then, now, knowing all you guys, I start to feel worse. Because I start to think about the people with an FEV1 of 30-40% that work full time, and I feel worthless for not currently working.

This is something I've thought about a lot lately. I am one of those people with very low PFTs that still works full time at a very demanding job, but because of the fact that I'm an attorney, I also get the chance to work pro bono with people (CFers and non-CFers) who are applying for SSI/SSDI benefits. Obviously I never share the details of my own health status with my clients (although if they are CFers I will let them know that we need to be aware of cross-infection issues), but part of my job is reading through their medical files and talking with them about their experiences. Ironically, this often makes me feel bad about myself. They say they feel useless, whereas I am often left feeling like I am pushing myself WAY too hard and damaging my health. I hear people talk about needing to rest, about not stressing themselves out, and about spending hours every day doing extra therapy or exercise, and many of these people have higher lung function than me. I have literally shut the door to my office and broken down in tears on more than one occassion because I feel like I have "failed" myself by pushing through a top 5 law school and taking my dream job at a top national law firm - shouldn't I have spent that energy on my health instead?

The point is, neither path is any more right or wrong than the other. People with CF have a serious disease, and they deserve the chance to be as healthy as possible, which for some means not working so they can really focus on their care and well-being. For others of us, myself included, the need to work is so deep that disability is much more of a last resort. It's not more admirable to work when your body is struggling, and likewise it's not a stupid or self-destructive choice to do so. CF is completely individual, and that goes for all aspects of the disease and care.

As a sidenote, I am so not advocating ignoring your health for a career. I make huge compromises, everyone at my firm knows about my CF so that there are no miscommunications about my needs, and I am compliant with meds and doctor appointments. I even took my IVs along on a business trip last week, infusing at the client's offices. All I mean to say is that I know I wear myself out a little too much, but for me it's worth it.

Sorry for the long post. I've been thinking about this for while, and I think it's crazy what a catch-22 the work issues is for so many CFers.

NYCLawGirl

NYCLawGirl

NYCLawGirl

<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />I feel like this too a lot. Then, now, knowing all you guys, I start to feel worse. Because I start to think about the people with an FEV1 of 30-40% that work full time, and I feel worthless for not currently working.
<br />
<br />
<br />This is something I've thought about a lot lately. I am one of those people with very low PFTs that still works full time at a very demanding job, but because of the fact that I'm an attorney, I also get the chance to work pro bono with people (CFers and non-CFers) who are applying for SSI/SSDI benefits. Obviously I never share the details of my own health status with my clients (although if they are CFers I will let them know that we need to be aware of cross-infection issues), but part of my job is reading through their medical files and talking with them about their experiences. Ironically, this often makes me feel bad about myself. They say they feel useless, whereas I am often left feeling like I am pushing myself WAY too hard and damaging my health. I hear people talk about needing to rest, about not stressing themselves out, and about spending hours every day doing extra therapy or exercise, and many of these people have higher lung function than me. I have literally shut the door to my office and broken down in tears on more than one occassion because I feel like I have "failed" myself by pushing through a top 5 law school and taking my dream job at a top national law firm - shouldn't I have spent that energy on my health instead?
<br />
<br />The point is, neither path is any more right or wrong than the other. People with CF have a serious disease, and they deserve the chance to be as healthy as possible, which for some means not working so they can really focus on their care and well-being. For others of us, myself included, the need to work is so deep that disability is much more of a last resort. It's not more admirable to work when your body is struggling, and likewise it's not a stupid or self-destructive choice to do so. CF is completely individual, and that goes for all aspects of the disease and care.
<br />
<br />As a sidenote, I am so not advocating ignoring your health for a career. I make huge compromises, everyone at my firm knows about my CF so that there are no miscommunications about my needs, and I am compliant with meds and doctor appointments. I even took my IVs along on a business trip last week, infusing at the client's offices. All I mean to say is that I know I wear myself out a little too much, but for me it's worth it.
<br />
<br />Sorry for the long post. I've been thinking about this for while, and I think it's crazy what a catch-22 the work issues is for so many CFers.
<br />

findingher

I know that my health is directly influenced by how I'm feeling. When I was 17, my mom was diagnosed with a brain tumor. My 17 year old mind FLIPPED OUT, and I couldn't stop worrying. My lungs, also would not stop acting like crap. There was nothing that showed up in my cultures that explained how sick I was, despite having high fevers, being unable to breathe or eat. Yet these things stopped after my mom finally had the tumor removed and started to recover. (It was benign and she's fine, a decade later!)

findingher

I know that my health is directly influenced by how I'm feeling. When I was 17, my mom was diagnosed with a brain tumor. My 17 year old mind FLIPPED OUT, and I couldn't stop worrying. My lungs, also would not stop acting like crap. There was nothing that showed up in my cultures that explained how sick I was, despite having high fevers, being unable to breathe or eat. Yet these things stopped after my mom finally had the tumor removed and started to recover. (It was benign and she's fine, a decade later!)

findingher

findingher

findingher