G Tube and a 2 yr old???

hmw

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>WIth in 2 or 3 days Emily was back to her normal, active, sometimes WILD self. She was not fazed at all by the sudden presence of a piece of plastic sticking out of her tummy. She just accepted it and we moved on and adjusted it. I can assure you, this would not have been the case had we waited until she was the age she is now! Now she fights everything, questions everything, resists new things. Then, she didn't know how to do that, and she just adjusted.</end quote></div>
This worries me SO much with my Emily. We are being confronted with this possibility now- and Emily is 8.5yrs old.

hmw

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>WIth in 2 or 3 days Emily was back to her normal, active, sometimes WILD self. She was not fazed at all by the sudden presence of a piece of plastic sticking out of her tummy. She just accepted it and we moved on and adjusted it. I can assure you, this would not have been the case had we waited until she was the age she is now! Now she fights everything, questions everything, resists new things. Then, she didn't know how to do that, and she just adjusted.</end quote></div>
This worries me SO much with my Emily. We are being confronted with this possibility now- and Emily is 8.5yrs old.

hmw

hmw

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>WIth in 2 or 3 days Emily was back to her normal, active, sometimes WILD self. She was not fazed at all by the sudden presence of a piece of plastic sticking out of her tummy. She just accepted it and we moved on and adjusted it. I can assure you, this would not have been the case had we waited until she was the age she is now! Now she fights everything, questions everything, resists new things. Then, she didn't know how to do that, and she just adjusted.</end quote>

hmw

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>WIth in 2 or 3 days Emily was back to her normal, active, sometimes WILD self. She was not fazed at all by the sudden presence of a piece of plastic sticking out of her tummy. She just accepted it and we moved on and adjusted it. I can assure you, this would not have been the case had we waited until she was the age she is now! Now she fights everything, questions everything, resists new things. Then, she didn't know how to do that, and she just adjusted.</end quote>
<br />This worries me SO much with my Emily. We are being confronted with this possibility now- and Emily is 8.5yrs old.

cfgirl1992

Not to scare you away from a feeding tube, because with many people they are successful however I did not have the best experince with it. I got mine when I was eight years old and had it no more than a year. I had a VERY hard time putting on weight when I was younger (and now at 17 can barely maintain 90 pounds) however when I was fed through the feeding tube, usually I would throw up whatever it was. Also, as time went on my feeding tube would leak and would show through on my clothes, I would cover it with a bandaide but it didnt always help. When I got it out it left a scar that looks like a hole and even though it got smaller overtime, it is still noticeable and restricts what swim suits I wear which I find frustrating. (not something you have to worry about now, but in years from now maybe).
From my experience I would definately think twice, because in retrospect my having a feeding tube wasn't enitirely necessary, but do consider what is best for your daughters health first.

cfgirl1992

Not to scare you away from a feeding tube, because with many people they are successful however I did not have the best experince with it. I got mine when I was eight years old and had it no more than a year. I had a VERY hard time putting on weight when I was younger (and now at 17 can barely maintain 90 pounds) however when I was fed through the feeding tube, usually I would throw up whatever it was. Also, as time went on my feeding tube would leak and would show through on my clothes, I would cover it with a bandaide but it didnt always help. When I got it out it left a scar that looks like a hole and even though it got smaller overtime, it is still noticeable and restricts what swim suits I wear which I find frustrating. (not something you have to worry about now, but in years from now maybe).
From my experience I would definately think twice, because in retrospect my having a feeding tube wasn't enitirely necessary, but do consider what is best for your daughters health first.

cfgirl1992

cfgirl1992

cfgirl1992

<br />From my experience I would definately think twice, because in retrospect my having a feeding tube wasn't enitirely necessary, but do consider what is best for your daughters health first.
<br />

S

sdelorenzo

My daughter got her feeding tube 2.5 years ago. It has been nothing but an enormous blessing! It hasn't bothered her for one minute. Her weight has gone from -5% bmi at age 5 to a consistent 60-80 bmi. A completely different looking child. So wonderful to see her looking healthy after 5 years of her so skinny. She uses it during the night only and eats normally during the day. But she has never enjoyed eating, so the feeding tube has really taken a lot of pressure off of eating. I really don't think you will regret it at all. You will be amazed at how your daughter will not even notice the tube (at least mine doesn't).
Sharon, mom of Sophia, 8 and Jack, 6 both with cf, Grant, 10 month no cf

S

sdelorenzo

My daughter got her feeding tube 2.5 years ago. It has been nothing but an enormous blessing! It hasn't bothered her for one minute. Her weight has gone from -5% bmi at age 5 to a consistent 60-80 bmi. A completely different looking child. So wonderful to see her looking healthy after 5 years of her so skinny. She uses it during the night only and eats normally during the day. But she has never enjoyed eating, so the feeding tube has really taken a lot of pressure off of eating. I really don't think you will regret it at all. You will be amazed at how your daughter will not even notice the tube (at least mine doesn't).

S

sdelorenzo

S

sdelorenzo

S

sdelorenzo

<br />Sharon, mom of Sophia, 8 and Jack, 6 both with cf, Grant, 10 month no cf

babyluke

Our son is 2 1/2 and has had his feeding tube since he was 8 months old. He is very, very active and has not problems with the mickey. I can agree with everything else said--it is not really that bad, the first 6 weeks are the hardest and it has helped Luke's weight dramatically!!! And IMO, do it now rather than later. Two is still pretty young, that it won't be as traumatic as if a child is older. He may only need it for a short time and that would be great!. I just think if a child is older, in school and has to cope with that--having NEVER dealt with it before, it would be harder. If Luke still has to have his when he is school age it will not be as big of a deal because he will have had it for so, so long that it is just normal to him. To introduce that stuff when they are older can be more trying.

babyluke

Our son is 2 1/2 and has had his feeding tube since he was 8 months old. He is very, very active and has not problems with the mickey. I can agree with everything else said--it is not really that bad, the first 6 weeks are the hardest and it has helped Luke's weight dramatically!!! And IMO, do it now rather than later. Two is still pretty young, that it won't be as traumatic as if a child is older. He may only need it for a short time and that would be great!. I just think if a child is older, in school and has to cope with that--having NEVER dealt with it before, it would be harder. If Luke still has to have his when he is school age it will not be as big of a deal because he will have had it for so, so long that it is just normal to him. To introduce that stuff when they are older can be more trying.

babyluke

babyluke

babyluke