G-tube help/advice/support

Ricky123

in my opinion yes it is worth it,but only if ya have serious probs with food and are genuinly struggling to get in the calories on a daily basis,
for one it takes the pressure of you a bit ie thinking about ya next calorie fix ,and on a positive note ya look more normal and not like a rake,hence ya feel better within yaself and not not some sick weak kid

Ricky123

in my opinion yes it is worth it,but only if ya have serious probs with food and are genuinly struggling to get in the calories on a daily basis,
for one it takes the pressure of you a bit ie thinking about ya next calorie fix ,and on a positive note ya look more normal and not like a rake,hence ya feel better within yaself and not not some sick weak kid

Ricky123

Ricky123

Ricky123

<br />for one it takes the pressure of you a bit ie thinking about ya next calorie fix ,and on a positive note ya look more normal and not like a rake,hence ya feel better within yaself and not not some sick weak kid

Ricky123

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>jfarel</b></i>

I am 28 years old and had one put in back in December. It is worth it. I no longer have to worry about counting the calories and its much easier to keep my weight up. I had the g-tube for a couple months and switched to the button which is much nicer.</end quote></div>
out of interst could you tell me your fev1% cos iam intersted to know if people who just have severe cf have g tubes or is it across all levels of cf that people may have g tubes put in,

Ricky123

I am 28 years old and had one put in back in December. It is worth it. I no longer have to worry about counting the calories and its much easier to keep my weight up. I had the g-tube for a couple months and switched to the button which is much nicer.</end quote></div>
out of interst could you tell me your fev1% cos iam intersted to know if people who just have severe cf have g tubes or is it across all levels of cf that people may have g tubes put in,

Ricky123

Ricky123

I am 28 years old and had one put in back in December. It is worth it. I no longer have to worry about counting the calories and its much easier to keep my weight up. I had the g-tube for a couple months and switched to the button which is much nicer.</end quote>

Ricky123

<br />
<br />I am 28 years old and had one put in back in December. It is worth it. I no longer have to worry about counting the calories and its much easier to keep my weight up. I had the g-tube for a couple months and switched to the button which is much nicer.</end quote>
<br />out of interst could you tell me your fev1% cos iam intersted to know if people who just have severe cf have g tubes or is it across all levels of cf that people may have g tubes put in,
<br />

Landy

Maybe someone could post a picture of your feeding tube here for her to see--or is that too freaky?

Landy

Maybe someone could post a picture of your feeding tube here for her to see--or is that too freaky?

Landy

Landy

Landy

A

AllansGirl

I don't want to sound like I am trying to talk you out of it--I'm not, because I know that g-tubes have been lifesavers for many on here. But I'll agree with fr3ak and suggest exhausting every other possible option first, and be careful if you get one.

My fiance resisted a g-tube for as long as he could, but when he was turned down for a lung transplant, low weight was listed among the reasons he was turned down. He was 20 years old, 5'1" and 86 lbs. So, he finally relented and got a g-tube.

His PFTs were in the 20s and he had cepacia, so those factors almost certainly played a role in his extremely poor outcome. He also was not put on IV antibiotics beforehand, and was only on oral antibiotics, which had long lost any real effectiveness for him. I found a book on CF care later on that stated that CFers should be put on IV antibiotics at least 48 hours before the surgery.

After the surgery, he was in a tremendous amount of pain, and couldn't really cough. After about two days of not being able to cough stuff up very well, it turned into the severe lung infection that took his life.

If it worked for you before, it may well work for you again. As you can see, most of the people here (or their children) who have gotten a g-tube have had good results with it. But, there are risks involved which were downplayed to us, so please research it as well as you can to protect yourself if you opt for the g-tube.

A

AllansGirl

I don't want to sound like I am trying to talk you out of it--I'm not, because I know that g-tubes have been lifesavers for many on here. But I'll agree with fr3ak and suggest exhausting every other possible option first, and be careful if you get one.

My fiance resisted a g-tube for as long as he could, but when he was turned down for a lung transplant, low weight was listed among the reasons he was turned down. He was 20 years old, 5'1" and 86 lbs. So, he finally relented and got a g-tube.

His PFTs were in the 20s and he had cepacia, so those factors almost certainly played a role in his extremely poor outcome. He also was not put on IV antibiotics beforehand, and was only on oral antibiotics, which had long lost any real effectiveness for him. I found a book on CF care later on that stated that CFers should be put on IV antibiotics at least 48 hours before the surgery.

After the surgery, he was in a tremendous amount of pain, and couldn't really cough. After about two days of not being able to cough stuff up very well, it turned into the severe lung infection that took his life.

If it worked for you before, it may well work for you again. As you can see, most of the people here (or their children) who have gotten a g-tube have had good results with it. But, there are risks involved which were downplayed to us, so please research it as well as you can to protect yourself if you opt for the g-tube.

A

AllansGirl

A

AllansGirl

A

AllansGirl

<br />
<br />My fiance resisted a g-tube for as long as he could, but when he was turned down for a lung transplant, low weight was listed among the reasons he was turned down. He was 20 years old, 5'1" and 86 lbs. So, he finally relented and got a g-tube.
<br />
<br />His PFTs were in the 20s and he had cepacia, so those factors almost certainly played a role in his extremely poor outcome. He also was not put on IV antibiotics beforehand, and was only on oral antibiotics, which had long lost any real effectiveness for him. I found a book on CF care later on that stated that CFers should be put on IV antibiotics at least 48 hours before the surgery.
<br />
<br />After the surgery, he was in a tremendous amount of pain, and couldn't really cough. After about two days of not being able to cough stuff up very well, it turned into the severe lung infection that took his life.
<br />
<br />If it worked for you before, it may well work for you again. As you can see, most of the people here (or their children) who have gotten a g-tube have had good results with it. But, there are risks involved which were downplayed to us, so please research it as well as you can to protect yourself if you opt for the g-tube.
<br />