Gargling w/ Salt

EnergyGal

I do not know about you but last week, I took the advice of another friend with CF and I started to practice gargling.

I usually irrigate my sinuses twice to three times daily and I would never really see any mucus come from my sinuses until a half hour later or after I would finish the irrigation.

This time I tried it differently. I irrgiated then gargled. What I saw that come out blew my mind. I got rid of mucus plug after tiny mucus plug. I guess all the mucus was working its way down to my throat and lungs but it would have probably stayed up there if I did not gargle it out.

I have been gargling twice daily along with irrigation and sometimes if I get a dry cough for a few minutes, I gargle. I have not seen any mucus to speak of since the first time I gargled.

I have read that gargling with salt water has many benefits and I hear how many of you use the hypertonic saline to inhale. I wonder if you are getting the same benefits from your sinuses while using the hyper tonic?

Maybe gargling for those who take hypertonic saline would be too much for your throat?

I know that I will keep on gargling and for me it works wonders. I think I avoided a nasty sinus infection just in time. If I did not remove what I saw that day, who knows if I would have been really sick?

EnergyGal

I do not know about you but last week, I took the advice of another friend with CF and I started to practice gargling.

I usually irrigate my sinuses twice to three times daily and I would never really see any mucus come from my sinuses until a half hour later or after I would finish the irrigation.

This time I tried it differently. I irrgiated then gargled. What I saw that come out blew my mind. I got rid of mucus plug after tiny mucus plug. I guess all the mucus was working its way down to my throat and lungs but it would have probably stayed up there if I did not gargle it out.

I have been gargling twice daily along with irrigation and sometimes if I get a dry cough for a few minutes, I gargle. I have not seen any mucus to speak of since the first time I gargled.

I have read that gargling with salt water has many benefits and I hear how many of you use the hypertonic saline to inhale. I wonder if you are getting the same benefits from your sinuses while using the hyper tonic?

Maybe gargling for those who take hypertonic saline would be too much for your throat?

I know that I will keep on gargling and for me it works wonders. I think I avoided a nasty sinus infection just in time. If I did not remove what I saw that day, who knows if I would have been really sick?

EnergyGal

EnergyGal

EnergyGal

EnergyGal

JazzysMom

I have gargled with salt water for a while now. It started when Jazmine had a sore throat & I had her gargling with mouthwash. I read that the alcohol in the mouthwash is not good for sore throats. It just dries it out, but the salt in salt water helps draw out what the problem is and soothes/cleans it like when a tooth comes out.

So ever since then all 3 of us gargle with salt water. Rob/Jazz when they are sick & me on a more regular basis.

It would make sense to me that it would help, but dont know why I didnt think of it before reading about it.

JazzysMom

I have gargled with salt water for a while now. It started when Jazmine had a sore throat & I had her gargling with mouthwash. I read that the alcohol in the mouthwash is not good for sore throats. It just dries it out, but the salt in salt water helps draw out what the problem is and soothes/cleans it like when a tooth comes out.

So ever since then all 3 of us gargle with salt water. Rob/Jazz when they are sick & me on a more regular basis.

It would make sense to me that it would help, but dont know why I didnt think of it before reading about it.

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

EnergyGal

Have you been healthier since you have been gargling Melissa?

My mom always told me to gargle but of course, I never listened. I hope someone tries it here and benefits from staying healthier because of it.

It draws out impurities and in my case, it saved me from becoming sick with a horrible cold I am sure of it. I never saw so much mucus from my sinuses come out in that one day.

Does anyone use salt water for their ears? I will speak to an eNT about this idea.

EnergyGal

My mom always told me to gargle but of course, I never listened. I hope someone tries it here and benefits from staying healthier because of it.

It draws out impurities and in my case, it saved me from becoming sick with a horrible cold I am sure of it. I never saw so much mucus from my sinuses come out in that one day.

Does anyone use salt water for their ears? I will speak to an eNT about this idea.

EnergyGal

EnergyGal

EnergyGal

Rebjane

Super Moderator
My daughter who is only 4 1/2 with CF uses the hypertonic saline with a mask attachment which i believe helps her sinuses. Personally, I think gargling with salt water is great when you have a sore throat, it seems to soothe it. I have gargled with salt water when I've had strep throat and it eases the pain in my throat.

Rebjane

Super Moderator
My daughter who is only 4 1/2 with CF uses the hypertonic saline with a mask attachment which i believe helps her sinuses. Personally, I think gargling with salt water is great when you have a sore throat, it seems to soothe it. I have gargled with salt water when I've had strep throat and it eases the pain in my throat.

Rebjane

Super Moderator

Rebjane

Super Moderator