General Debate

Pete

The idea behind the post was to create a discussion. We can sit around and agree with everything you say Beyerdug and let you decide on what can be discussed....ban a thread because you don't like it?

IT'S A DISCUSSION...did I say I was going to try and run it through legislation?

Yes, it a "brave new world"...it's getting more and more so everyday.

I don't know what's worse, the concept of forced sterilization or individuals like you deciding what concepts and solutions to societal issues can be discussed BY a society.

You ask any high school teacher if there should be some sort of check on who breeds...in fact, it's an issue that WILL come up oneday, maybe not in your lifetime but oneday it will...China has already faced it something similar...just because it is socially immoral and is a massive intrusion on our civil liberties, that doesn't mean it won't become reality...like the "patriot act".

Discuss or don't comment...at least have an opinion, and not a condescending moral highground on a hypothetical...

A typo?...that's witty.

Pete

The idea behind the post was to create a discussion. We can sit around and agree with everything you say Beyerdug and let you decide on what can be discussed....ban a thread because you don't like it?

IT'S A DISCUSSION...did I say I was going to try and run it through legislation?

I don't know what's worse, the concept of forced sterilization or individuals like you deciding what concepts and solutions to societal issues can be discussed BY a society.

You ask any high school teacher if there should be some sort of check on who breeds...in fact, it's an issue that WILL come up oneday, maybe not in your lifetime but oneday it will...China has already faced it something similar...just because it is socially immoral and is a massive intrusion on our civil liberties, that doesn't mean it won't become reality...like the "patriot act".

Discuss or don't comment...at least have an opinion, and not a condescending moral highground on a hypothetical...

A typo?...that's witty.

Pete

A typo?...that's witty.

beyerdug

Pete,
I'm not sure where you get the idea that I'm telling anyone what solutions to societal issues can be discussed BY a society. The posting licensing thread is sarcasm. My response to this thread is my opinion.

For those of you that don't know the book I referenced above, it is about a society that clones people for certain jobs and everyone is kept in check with a special drink. Regulation in the form of a license is just one more step in that direction. I feel that me and Pete agree on that point looking at his last post.

I do not agree with making a passive thread like this that is directed at another person and your feelings about her ability to be a mother. If you really want to talk to her about it you should pm her. Putting up such a public display and passively putting her down is very low indeed.

beyerdug

Pete,
I'm not sure where you get the idea that I'm telling anyone what solutions to societal issues can be discussed BY a society. The posting licensing thread is sarcasm. My response to this thread is my opinion.

For those of you that don't know the book I referenced above, it is about a society that clones people for certain jobs and everyone is kept in check with a special drink. Regulation in the form of a license is just one more step in that direction. I feel that me and Pete agree on that point looking at his last post.

I do not agree with making a passive thread like this that is directed at another person and your feelings about her ability to be a mother. If you really want to talk to her about it you should pm her. Putting up such a public display and passively putting her down is very low indeed.

beyerdug

Pete,

Allie

*for reference: I'm debating the connection with the book, not the right or wrong of anything below. So don't jump me. Unless you are debating my interpretation of the book, in that case, jump away*

If you want to drag out the "Brave New World" metaphor, it's only fair to say that IVF is actually more of a step towards it than licensing. In BNW, there ARE no parents, it's a dirty word, not that only certain people can become parents. At the Hatchery in BNW, embryos are created using egg and sperm in a test tube- something now possible, that wasn't in the thirties. So if you want to cry foul based on Aldous Huxley's work, I don't think licensing is where I'd do it, because there's very little to no backing it up in the literature. Conditioning a fetus for a certain job with oxygen deprivation and alcohol treatment, soma, etc. This is more of a "how far should we allow medicine to go" question ala Frankenstein than an issue of who should be allowed to be a parent. I think, anyhow.

Allie

*for reference: I'm debating the connection with the book, not the right or wrong of anything below. So don't jump me. Unless you are debating my interpretation of the book, in that case, jump away*

If you want to drag out the "Brave New World" metaphor, it's only fair to say that IVF is actually more of a step towards it than licensing. In BNW, there ARE no parents, it's a dirty word, not that only certain people can become parents. At the Hatchery in BNW, embryos are created using egg and sperm in a test tube- something now possible, that wasn't in the thirties. So if you want to cry foul based on Aldous Huxley's work, I don't think licensing is where I'd do it, because there's very little to no backing it up in the literature. Conditioning a fetus for a certain job with oxygen deprivation and alcohol treatment, soma, etc. This is more of a "how far should we allow medicine to go" question ala Frankenstein than an issue of who should be allowed to be a parent. I think, anyhow.

Allie

beyerdug

Allie,
I wasn't going as far with the metaphor as you are. I was merely stating that putting a license on having a baby was giving the government more control of our lives. The book is the extreme of governmental control in my opinion. I am for less governmental control and more for personal control and regulation.

beyerdug

Allie,
I wasn't going as far with the metaphor as you are. I was merely stating that putting a license on having a baby was giving the government more control of our lives. The book is the extreme of governmental control in my opinion. I am for less governmental control and more for personal control and regulation.

beyerdug

Allie,

Pete

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>beyerdug</b></i>

Pete,

I do not agree with making a passive thread like this that is directed at another person and your feelings about her ability to be a mother. If you really want to talk to her about it you should pm her. Putting up such a public display and passively putting her down is very low indeed.</end quote></div>

This is off topic, and I've lost interest...until someone makes a comment related to the topic.

It wasn't a personal attack on Vampy. Don't be so sensitive...it's boring and makes for an uninteresting site if we can't discuss issues pertinent to todays society.

You make a list of topics we CAN discuss beyerdug...and I'll pick one.

Pete

Pete,

I do not agree with making a passive thread like this that is directed at another person and your feelings about her ability to be a mother. If you really want to talk to her about it you should pm her. Putting up such a public display and passively putting her down is very low indeed.</end quote></div>

This is off topic, and I've lost interest...until someone makes a comment related to the topic.

It wasn't a personal attack on Vampy. Don't be so sensitive...it's boring and makes for an uninteresting site if we can't discuss issues pertinent to todays society.

Pete

Pete,

Lilith

I am for less governmental control and more for personal control and regulation.</end quote></div>

I would agree with you on that point, if parents could be trusted to be responsible. Most of them, unfortunately in today's society, can't, and depend on mindless T.V. programming and the like to raise their children. Some people just shouldn't breed if they can't take care of a child properly. Its not a pet, its a human life. And that, in my opinion, is in the best interest of society in general. We're already in a decline as it is...

Lilith

I am for less governmental control and more for personal control and regulation.</end quote></div>

I would agree with you on that point, if parents could be trusted to be responsible. Most of them, unfortunately in today's society, can't, and depend on mindless T.V. programming and the like to raise their children. Some people just shouldn't breed if they can't take care of a child properly. Its not a pet, its a human life. And that, in my opinion, is in the best interest of society in general. We're already in a decline as it is...

Lilith