General Debate

bluemoon222

Ok, I do not normally post...I read everything but usually do not have much to say however, this has irked me a little bit, to be honest. I have a wonderful 7 year old little boy who is the most awesome child in the universe (at least to me). He has always been well-behaved for the most part, he is loved by teachers and his peers and is known for his cheerfulness and his sensitivity. He is an all around good kid. Am I a great parent? NO. Not by any of your standards. He has his own tv, dvd player, and an x-box. I feed him corndogs and french fries a couple nights a week. When he was 2, he stole mens dress socks from the mall by stuffing them under his butt in the stroller. He threw a temper tantrum in Kroger when he was 18 mos old that is still talked about in our small town. His room looks like a bomb went off, and I could NOT swear under oath that there is even a floor under the mess. Right now he is threatening me that he is going to move out because I wouldn't get McDonalds for dinner tonight (he is always a little crabby after school) and all I could do is laugh. So no, I am not a good parent. I am a good enough parent. It seems a little bit laughable that some of you who are throwing out your opinion on how horrible 70% of parents are do not even have kids. It's not an easy job. There are always people who think they can do it better and it's their job to tell you that, and it's those who do not have kids that talk the loudest. Parents already feel a tremendous amount of guilt about trying to be Super-Mommy and falling short of the ideal. Beating up on parents who are trying their best to do the best they can is kinda asinine. Here it is, kids sometimes act like heathens despite our best intentions and parenting skills. Kids throw temper tantrums and when that happens, it's very hard as a parent to deal with that. Most of the parenting books suggest ignoring a tantrum, in case you are wondering. Oh, and just because your kid throws a tantrum does NOT IN FACT make you a bad parent!!! It happens to every parent at one time or another. I mean, come on, small children are cranky at times. I am sorry to those of you who feel burdened by having to exist in society with the immature little people who feel frequently get frustrated (leading cause of temper tantrums in small children is frustration at not being able to communicate their emotions) and ruin your day. How's this for some advice, get a grip and stop acting like you have all the answers when you don't have a freaking clue. And next time you encounter a parent with a child throwing a tantrum, offer to lend a hand and stop being so judgemental. Or do what the rest of us mortal Moms do, thanks our lucky starts that for once, it's not our kid doing it! And as for parking out kids in front of the tv, well you can say what you want, but somebody has to do the laundry and cook the dinner and if Jimmy Neutron can take over for an hour or so, so I can get some stuff done, then thank GOD for that! I am sorry this is so long and I will probably get all sorts of negativity for this by I just had to stand up for parents everywhere who are sick of people who do not have kids giving us advice. Thank you and have a nice day!

bluemoon222

Ok, I do not normally post...I read everything but usually do not have much to say however, this has irked me a little bit, to be honest. I have a wonderful 7 year old little boy who is the most awesome child in the universe (at least to me). He has always been well-behaved for the most part, he is loved by teachers and his peers and is known for his cheerfulness and his sensitivity. He is an all around good kid. Am I a great parent? NO. Not by any of your standards. He has his own tv, dvd player, and an x-box. I feed him corndogs and french fries a couple nights a week. When he was 2, he stole mens dress socks from the mall by stuffing them under his butt in the stroller. He threw a temper tantrum in Kroger when he was 18 mos old that is still talked about in our small town. His room looks like a bomb went off, and I could NOT swear under oath that there is even a floor under the mess. Right now he is threatening me that he is going to move out because I wouldn't get McDonalds for dinner tonight (he is always a little crabby after school) and all I could do is laugh. So no, I am not a good parent. I am a good enough parent. It seems a little bit laughable that some of you who are throwing out your opinion on how horrible 70% of parents are do not even have kids. It's not an easy job. There are always people who think they can do it better and it's their job to tell you that, and it's those who do not have kids that talk the loudest. Parents already feel a tremendous amount of guilt about trying to be Super-Mommy and falling short of the ideal. Beating up on parents who are trying their best to do the best they can is kinda asinine. Here it is, kids sometimes act like heathens despite our best intentions and parenting skills. Kids throw temper tantrums and when that happens, it's very hard as a parent to deal with that. Most of the parenting books suggest ignoring a tantrum, in case you are wondering. Oh, and just because your kid throws a tantrum does NOT IN FACT make you a bad parent!!! It happens to every parent at one time or another. I mean, come on, small children are cranky at times. I am sorry to those of you who feel burdened by having to exist in society with the immature little people who feel frequently get frustrated (leading cause of temper tantrums in small children is frustration at not being able to communicate their emotions) and ruin your day. How's this for some advice, get a grip and stop acting like you have all the answers when you don't have a freaking clue. And next time you encounter a parent with a child throwing a tantrum, offer to lend a hand and stop being so judgemental. Or do what the rest of us mortal Moms do, thanks our lucky starts that for once, it's not our kid doing it! And as for parking out kids in front of the tv, well you can say what you want, but somebody has to do the laundry and cook the dinner and if Jimmy Neutron can take over for an hour or so, so I can get some stuff done, then thank GOD for that! I am sorry this is so long and I will probably get all sorts of negativity for this by I just had to stand up for parents everywhere who are sick of people who do not have kids giving us advice. Thank you and have a nice day!

bluemoon222

bluemoon222

And before I get accused of not having a point to my long-winded rant, here it is: All the licenses or licences in the world isn't going to guarantee good kids. I was raised by the best parents in the world. I was still a bad kid (rough teenage years, my poor poor parents, lol). My parents did everything right and I still ran rough-shod all over them. I am a responsible adult-type person now, with minor lapses into immaturity and a lot of guilt but that doesn't change the fact that I was for awhile a bad kid. So just think about that and know that most (yes, most) parents are doing a good job and that sometimes good people just have bad kids.

bluemoon222

And before I get accused of not having a point to my long-winded rant, here it is: All the licenses or licences in the world isn't going to guarantee good kids. I was raised by the best parents in the world. I was still a bad kid (rough teenage years, my poor poor parents, lol). My parents did everything right and I still ran rough-shod all over them. I am a responsible adult-type person now, with minor lapses into immaturity and a lot of guilt but that doesn't change the fact that I was for awhile a bad kid. So just think about that and know that most (yes, most) parents are doing a good job and that sometimes good people just have bad kids.

bluemoon222

Emily65Roses

Bluemoon Jenn, I don't know about everyone else, but for me, there's a big difference between childhood trantrums or bad teenage years... and the spoiled brat Paris Hiltons of the world. Everyone has bad moments. It's the kids that turn out thinking they're above rules and manners and all that garbage... those are the parents I'd like to throttle. Mind you, I know even some of those kids had decent parents. Some people just turn out stupid. But the majority of crappy people have crappy parents.

Emily65Roses

Bluemoon Jenn, I don't know about everyone else, but for me, there's a big difference between childhood trantrums or bad teenage years... and the spoiled brat Paris Hiltons of the world. Everyone has bad moments. It's the kids that turn out thinking they're above rules and manners and all that garbage... those are the parents I'd like to throttle. Mind you, I know even some of those kids had decent parents. Some people just turn out stupid. But the majority of crappy people have crappy parents.

Emily65Roses

JazzysMom

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Emily65Roses</b></i>

Bluemoon Jenn, I don't know about everyone else, but for me, there's a big difference between childhood trantrums or bad teenage years... and the spoiled brat Paris Hiltons of the world. Everyone has bad moments. It's the kids that turn out thinking they're above rules and manners and all that garbage... those are the parents I'd like to throttle. Mind you, I know even some of those kids had decent parents. Some people just turn out stupid. But the majority of crappy people have crappy parents.</end quote></div>

Funny that you refer to Paris Hilton because she has 2 brothers & 1 sister that you dont hear these horror storeis about. SO maybe her parents were doing something right, but there is something within Paris herself that the best parenting cant rectify. I think this idea applies to many kids........

JazzysMom

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Emily65Roses</b></i>

Bluemoon Jenn, I don't know about everyone else, but for me, there's a big difference between childhood trantrums or bad teenage years... and the spoiled brat Paris Hiltons of the world. Everyone has bad moments. It's the kids that turn out thinking they're above rules and manners and all that garbage... those are the parents I'd like to throttle. Mind you, I know even some of those kids had decent parents. Some people just turn out stupid. But the majority of crappy people have crappy parents.</end quote></div>

Funny that you refer to Paris Hilton because she has 2 brothers & 1 sister that you dont hear these horror storeis about. SO maybe her parents were doing something right, but there is something within Paris herself that the best parenting cant rectify. I think this idea applies to many kids........

JazzysMom

Lilith

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>bluemoon222</b></i>

Kids throw temper tantrums and when that happens, it's very hard as a parent to deal with that. Most of the parenting books suggest ignoring a tantrum, in case you are wondering. Oh, and just because your kid throws a tantrum does NOT IN FACT make you a bad parent!!!</end quote></div>

No, kids are kids. I agree with that fact. What makes the parent responsible is when you're in a restaurant and some little brat is jumping up and down on the seat behind you, gawking at people over the top of the seat (while they're standing on it, mind you), screaming at the top of their lungs, and the parents just sit there, looking around like nothing's happening and continuing to stuff their face, instead of knocking their kid on the butt and telling them to sit down and be quiet or no desert. Which is a situation I have seen all too often.

As far as books telling you to ignore a tantrum, I would like to have a few talks with the authors. Ignoring a child is not the way to solve the problem! Not to mention having common courtesy for others around you!! Don't believe everything you read!

Oh, and in case I'm not qualified to say anything by your standards, because I don't have a kid...I seem to be one of the few people that, by age 21, isn't pregnant yet. I'm proud of that fact, thank you. Must mean I had pretty good parents to teach me right from wrong. And they didn't ignore me when I had a fit...

Lilith

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>bluemoon222</b></i>

Kids throw temper tantrums and when that happens, it's very hard as a parent to deal with that. Most of the parenting books suggest ignoring a tantrum, in case you are wondering. Oh, and just because your kid throws a tantrum does NOT IN FACT make you a bad parent!!!</end quote></div>

No, kids are kids. I agree with that fact. What makes the parent responsible is when you're in a restaurant and some little brat is jumping up and down on the seat behind you, gawking at people over the top of the seat (while they're standing on it, mind you), screaming at the top of their lungs, and the parents just sit there, looking around like nothing's happening and continuing to stuff their face, instead of knocking their kid on the butt and telling them to sit down and be quiet or no desert. Which is a situation I have seen all too often.

As far as books telling you to ignore a tantrum, I would like to have a few talks with the authors. Ignoring a child is not the way to solve the problem! Not to mention having common courtesy for others around you!! Don't believe everything you read!

Oh, and in case I'm not qualified to say anything by your standards, because I don't have a kid...I seem to be one of the few people that, by age 21, isn't pregnant yet. I'm proud of that fact, thank you. Must mean I had pretty good parents to teach me right from wrong. And they didn't ignore me when I had a fit...

Lilith

bluemoon222

Ok, I can say honestly say that I loathe Paris Hilton. I think it has to do with the empty headed, skank du jour routine that she had turned into a career for herself. Having said that, how do we know that it isn't a nature vs. nurture thing? Maybe she was meant to be a skank whore and parenting had nothing to do with it? I am not saying that that is the case, but it could be, right? hehe.

bluemoon222

Ok, I can say honestly say that I loathe Paris Hilton. I think it has to do with the empty headed, skank du jour routine that she had turned into a career for herself. Having said that, how do we know that it isn't a nature vs. nurture thing? Maybe she was meant to be a skank whore and parenting had nothing to do with it? I am not saying that that is the case, but it could be, right? hehe.

bluemoon222

bluemoon222

I really don't know what to say, Lilith. I am really very sorry. I am. You seem a little angry and I wish I could find the perfect thing to say to make you see things as not being so black and white or so humorless. Personally, I have never had to experience that whole restaurant scenario. My son loves restaurants and behaves accordingly. Although I personally don't think spanking in public is ever a good idea, I do get what you are saying. I guess I just take it as one of those things that come with motherhood. You learn to laugh it off at times in order to protect what little sanity you have left at that point. You can never predict a small child meltdown, you hope and pray that you can at least scarf down some food before it hits full force. And if some little bugger is making faces at me over the back of his seat, I usually make them back...but I guess I am just immature (at 30 years old, lol).

bluemoon222

I really don't know what to say, Lilith. I am really very sorry. I am. You seem a little angry and I wish I could find the perfect thing to say to make you see things as not being so black and white or so humorless. Personally, I have never had to experience that whole restaurant scenario. My son loves restaurants and behaves accordingly. Although I personally don't think spanking in public is ever a good idea, I do get what you are saying. I guess I just take it as one of those things that come with motherhood. You learn to laugh it off at times in order to protect what little sanity you have left at that point. You can never predict a small child meltdown, you hope and pray that you can at least scarf down some food before it hits full force. And if some little bugger is making faces at me over the back of his seat, I usually make them back...but I guess I am just immature (at 30 years old, lol).