Genetic testing?

PedsNP2007

It's 50% chance of having a CF child and 50% chance of the child being a carrier -- if the husband is a carrier when the wife has CF.

Jenn
30 yo with cf, new onset CFRD

PedsNP2007

It's 50% chance of having a CF child and 50% chance of the child being a carrier -- if the husband is a carrier when the wife has CF.

Jenn

PedsNP2007

Jenn

PedsNP2007

Jenn

PedsNP2007

<br />
<br />Jenn
<br />30 yo with cf, new onset CFRD

hbollotte

my husband and i didn't find out. once i was pregnant my cf doctor insisted that he get tested. he said if he was a carrier they would do an amnio to see if the baby had cf. he was not a carrier so we didn't have to worry about the amnio. she said it would be better for us to know if the baby had cf because there is preventatives available.

hbollotte

my husband and i didn't find out. once i was pregnant my cf doctor insisted that he get tested. he said if he was a carrier they would do an amnio to see if the baby had cf. he was not a carrier so we didn't have to worry about the amnio. she said it would be better for us to know if the baby had cf because there is preventatives available.

hbollotte

hbollotte

hbollotte

LouLou

Dh tested negative to 89 mutations prior to conception. After conception we found out that the baby still had a 1/500 chance of having cf. We put that bit of info in the back of our minds and carried on with the pregnancy and didn't worry. After the baby's birth when I felt up for it at 8 wks I took him in for a sweat & genetic sequencing (1000+ mutations). He was totally healthy. The sweat test came back negative within a week or two. The genetic test found a second mutation...other htan the one he inherited from me. It was a shocker for all of us, even the members of this site were taken aback. He is currently assymptomatic but we treat him agressively to prevent any lung damage. We're definitely glad we know.

My guess that there is a large part of the population that carries one of teh 1500 known mutations. I believe the est. of 1 in 23 caucasions is a best guess.

If I had it all to do again (ie were in your shoes) I would do the same thing...test for the 95% (89-97) of the mutations in my spouse and then if negative continue with a pregnancy. At birth (this is the part I would do differently) I would have an Ambry test ready to send off with cord blood for full genetic sequencing.

The reason I wouldn't test for all 1500 mutations right away is because many create an atypical type of cf and although I take this very seriously it is not personally a reason I wouldn't want to bring a first child into the world.

Now that I know our genetic situation things are different because I am at odds with wanting another child (largely so that my son will have a sibling) but don't feel right taking the chance.

PGD seems so extravegant...and I don't want multiples so...hmmmm - not a clear path eh?

Good luck with your decision.

LouLou

Dh tested negative to 89 mutations prior to conception. After conception we found out that the baby still had a 1/500 chance of having cf. We put that bit of info in the back of our minds and carried on with the pregnancy and didn't worry. After the baby's birth when I felt up for it at 8 wks I took him in for a sweat & genetic sequencing (1000+ mutations). He was totally healthy. The sweat test came back negative within a week or two. The genetic test found a second mutation...other htan the one he inherited from me. It was a shocker for all of us, even the members of this site were taken aback. He is currently assymptomatic but we treat him agressively to prevent any lung damage. We're definitely glad we know.

My guess that there is a large part of the population that carries one of teh 1500 known mutations. I believe the est. of 1 in 23 caucasions is a best guess.

If I had it all to do again (ie were in your shoes) I would do the same thing...test for the 95% (89-97) of the mutations in my spouse and then if negative continue with a pregnancy. At birth (this is the part I would do differently) I would have an Ambry test ready to send off with cord blood for full genetic sequencing.

The reason I wouldn't test for all 1500 mutations right away is because many create an atypical type of cf and although I take this very seriously it is not personally a reason I wouldn't want to bring a first child into the world.

Now that I know our genetic situation things are different because I am at odds with wanting another child (largely so that my son will have a sibling) but don't feel right taking the chance.

PGD seems so extravegant...and I don't want multiples so...hmmmm - not a clear path eh?

LouLou

LouLou

LouLou

<br />
<br />My guess that there is a large part of the population that carries one of teh 1500 known mutations. I believe the est. of 1 in 23 caucasions is a best guess.
<br />
<br />If I had it all to do again (ie were in your shoes) I would do the same thing...test for the 95% (89-97) of the mutations in my spouse and then if negative continue with a pregnancy. At birth (this is the part I would do differently) I would have an Ambry test ready to send off with cord blood for full genetic sequencing.
<br />
<br />The reason I wouldn't test for all 1500 mutations right away is because many create an atypical type of cf and although I take this very seriously it is not personally a reason I wouldn't want to bring a first child into the world.
<br />
<br />Now that I know our genetic situation things are different because I am at odds with wanting another child (largely so that my son will have a sibling) but don't feel right taking the chance.
<br />
<br />PGD seems so extravegant...and I don't want multiples so...hmmmm - not a clear path eh?
<br />
<br />Good luck with your decision.