Got Transplanted 8/22

ilovemysischris

Hello, I just wanted to know how everyone is doing? My 31 year old sister is being encouraged by the doctors to get a lung transplant soon. She has always been pretty healthy, she is not on o2 and goes for workups once a year for a 2-3 week stretch. Her pft's are 18 and I guess her labs don't look as good as she does. Any thoughts? I guess I'm more scared than she is. However today I met Mike who had a double lung transplant 6 years ago and is doing great!! Anyone else have good success stories they could share?
Thank you, a sister who is overwhelmed

ilovemysischris

Hello, I just wanted to know how everyone is doing? My 31 year old sister is being encouraged by the doctors to get a lung transplant soon. She has always been pretty healthy, she is not on o2 and goes for workups once a year for a 2-3 week stretch. Her pft's are 18 and I guess her labs don't look as good as she does. Any thoughts? I guess I'm more scared than she is. However today I met Mike who had a double lung transplant 6 years ago and is doing great!! Anyone else have good success stories they could share?

ilovemysischris

ilovemysischris

ilovemysischris

<br />Thank you, a sister who is overwhelmed

Marjolein

Did you meet Mike! I envy you haha. I hope to meet him later soon when he and his wife are visiting Europe.

When your sister's fev1 is at 18% it does sound like a good plan to for a transplant in the near future. Even though she is feeling good now, this 18% shows that she doesn't really have a lot of reserve. That's what you need to look at too.

Marjolein

Did you meet Mike! I envy you haha. I hope to meet him later soon when he and his wife are visiting Europe.

When your sister's fev1 is at 18% it does sound like a good plan to for a transplant in the near future. Even though she is feeling good now, this 18% shows that she doesn't really have a lot of reserve. That's what you need to look at too.

Marjolein

Marjolein

Marjolein

<br />
<br />When your sister's fev1 is at 18% it does sound like a good plan to for a transplant in the near future. Even though she is feeling good now, this 18% shows that she doesn't really have a lot of reserve. That's what you need to look at too.

Transplantmommy

Nicole,
I agree with Marjolein that 18% is not a lot of reserve and that your sister should really look into getting evaluated for the transplants. I started my evaluations in June 2005, found out that I was pregnant in August 2005 and stopped the evaluations, and then started them back up in March 2006 after the baby was born. From March of 2006 until my double lung and liver transplant in January 2007, I lost 22% of my lung function. I was at 37% and dropped down to 15 percent. I dropped more than what your sister has left and that would scare me.

There are definitely risks after transplant but I knew that if I didn't get one that my risks of not getting one would be a lot greater. If I did not have the transplants, I would not be here for my son today. The better shape that your sister is in when she needs the transplant, the more likely she is to do better after. Even though I was at 15% lung function, I was still moving around and taking showers and also trying to take care of my son. That is likely the reason that I did well after transplant. I was out of the hospital 12 days after my double lung and liver transplant and back home 2 1/2 weeks later. It's been almost two years and I would not change any of my decisions at all. I would also do it all again if I ever had to.

I wish your sister the best of luck and if you want to talk some more, send me a PM and I will give you my e-mail address.

Transplantmommy

Nicole,
I agree with Marjolein that 18% is not a lot of reserve and that your sister should really look into getting evaluated for the transplants. I started my evaluations in June 2005, found out that I was pregnant in August 2005 and stopped the evaluations, and then started them back up in March 2006 after the baby was born. From March of 2006 until my double lung and liver transplant in January 2007, I lost 22% of my lung function. I was at 37% and dropped down to 15 percent. I dropped more than what your sister has left and that would scare me.

There are definitely risks after transplant but I knew that if I didn't get one that my risks of not getting one would be a lot greater. If I did not have the transplants, I would not be here for my son today. The better shape that your sister is in when she needs the transplant, the more likely she is to do better after. Even though I was at 15% lung function, I was still moving around and taking showers and also trying to take care of my son. That is likely the reason that I did well after transplant. I was out of the hospital 12 days after my double lung and liver transplant and back home 2 1/2 weeks later. It's been almost two years and I would not change any of my decisions at all. I would also do it all again if I ever had to.

I wish your sister the best of luck and if you want to talk some more, send me a PM and I will give you my e-mail address.

Transplantmommy

Nicole,

Transplantmommy

Nicole,

Transplantmommy

Nicole,
<br />I agree with Marjolein that 18% is not a lot of reserve and that your sister should really look into getting evaluated for the transplants. I started my evaluations in June 2005, found out that I was pregnant in August 2005 and stopped the evaluations, and then started them back up in March 2006 after the baby was born. From March of 2006 until my double lung and liver transplant in January 2007, I lost 22% of my lung function. I was at 37% and dropped down to 15 percent. I dropped more than what your sister has left and that would scare me.
<br />
<br />There are definitely risks after transplant but I knew that if I didn't get one that my risks of not getting one would be a lot greater. If I did not have the transplants, I would not be here for my son today. The better shape that your sister is in when she needs the transplant, the more likely she is to do better after. Even though I was at 15% lung function, I was still moving around and taking showers and also trying to take care of my son. That is likely the reason that I did well after transplant. I was out of the hospital 12 days after my double lung and liver transplant and back home 2 1/2 weeks later. It's been almost two years and I would not change any of my decisions at all. I would also do it all again if I ever had to.
<br />
<br />I wish your sister the best of luck and if you want to talk some more, send me a PM and I will give you my e-mail address.