Have you ever refused a med student?

Landy

I had a hernia surgery and saw a young buck there all gowned/gloved up (with my doctor) & I told the doctor that I wanted him to do the surgery, that the young guy could observe. He didn't have a problem with it.

Last hospitalization I had a blood clot in one arm, so no blood work could be done in that one & my other arm was quite sore. A student came in & I told him he had 2 tries and if he couldn't get it, then he's done. Luckily, he got it the first try!

Student or not, after 2 tries with blood draws, IV's etc, someone else needs to try.

Landy

I had a hernia surgery and saw a young buck there all gowned/gloved up (with my doctor) & I told the doctor that I wanted him to do the surgery, that the young guy could observe. He didn't have a problem with it.

Last hospitalization I had a blood clot in one arm, so no blood work could be done in that one & my other arm was quite sore. A student came in & I told him he had 2 tries and if he couldn't get it, then he's done. Luckily, he got it the first try!

Student or not, after 2 tries with blood draws, IV's etc, someone else needs to try.

Landy

Landy

Landy

<br />
<br />Last hospitalization I had a blood clot in one arm, so no blood work could be done in that one & my other arm was quite sore. A student came in & I told him he had 2 tries and if he couldn't get it, then he's done. Luckily, he got it the first try!
<br />
<br />Student or not, after 2 tries with blood draws, IV's etc, someone else needs to try.

vmhoward

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>ladybug</b></i>

"wow, i've NEVER seen a vein just roll away... i can't FIND it!" </end quote></div>

That amazes me, because there are alot of people with rolly veins. Me, my son, and my mother all included. I have to tell them where they can get a vein on me. I actually have a large groove in my arm because it is the only place they can take blood out, ever. I am sorry you had to go through that.

vmhoward

"wow, i've NEVER seen a vein just roll away... i can't FIND it!" </end quote></div>

That amazes me, because there are alot of people with rolly veins. Me, my son, and my mother all included. I have to tell them where they can get a vein on me. I actually have a large groove in my arm because it is the only place they can take blood out, ever. I am sorry you had to go through that.

vmhoward

vmhoward

"wow, i've NEVER seen a vein just roll away... i can't FIND it!" </end quote>

vmhoward

<br />
<br /> "wow, i've NEVER seen a vein just roll away... i can't FIND it!" </end quote>
<br />
<br />That amazes me, because there are alot of people with rolly veins. Me, my son, and my mother all included. I have to tell them where they can get a vein on me. I actually have a large groove in my arm because it is the only place they can take blood out, ever. I am sorry you had to go through that.
<br />
<br />

Giggles

I use to always request the IV team to put the IV in. I never have good luck with nurses. The last one blew a good vein of mine and then got it in where you normally take blood from...nice! Yes, you have to be your own advocate and request someone who knows what they are doing OR just wait to have the PICC put in. Good luck!

Jennifer 36 years old with CF and CFRD

Giggles

I use to always request the IV team to put the IV in. I never have good luck with nurses. The last one blew a good vein of mine and then got it in where you normally take blood from...nice! Yes, you have to be your own advocate and request someone who knows what they are doing OR just wait to have the PICC put in. Good luck!

Giggles

Giggles

Giggles

<br />
<br />
<br />Jennifer 36 years old with CF and CFRD